U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,902,298 times
Reputation: 290

Advertisements

Sometimes around here things are so heavy on the spirit...exhausting. Sometimes I want to speak out...but it is too heavy a burden. Thank God He sent His Son that the veil was ripped and we can take it all to the Lord in prayer...and be directed and comforted.

 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,016,120 times
Reputation: 58210
NOT a debatable thread.

While I'm waiting for my cousin to arrive, I'm going to try to get the thread back on track by sharing some more from my encounter with God.

I can't remember exactly when I had this dream, but I think it was the night before I went to the mountains. God had already begun to deal with me and my behavior before I even left for the mountains.

In the dream I was picking up take-out food from a restaurant, and I was waiting for it at the bar counter. Someone handed me the bag of food, and I asked for a condiment and some other things. I was being demanding, but not rude. From the kitchen emerged this young woman who completely went off on me. I don't remember her exact words, or mine either. I proceeded to rip her a new one, LOUDLY, and in the most prolific, profound way that I am able to do when enraged.

The dream went on and became crazy like dreams often do, but while I was on the mountain I made a sidenote within my 6 pages to remember this dream about my behavior. Yes, it was just a dream, but I KNOW God gave me that dream. If I had not written down to remember it, I probably wouldn't have.

I can remember how I felt, in the dream, after I screamed at this woman. The same shame, guilt and regret that I always feel when I act out like that. And I can't guarantee that I won't ever do it again. There was a real life incident at a Office Depot a couple years ago before I rededicated my life to Christ that was unbelievably out of control between me and this other woman, that left people standing there with their jaws dropped. It continued out into the parking lot, and if my boyfriend hadn't been in the car holding me back, I would have beat that woman to a pulp. I'm still blown away by that incident. Who was that woman?? That could NOT have been me!!! But it was.

My point is, God has been working on me about this behavior for a while, I just didn't know it. I'm a natural hothead that when provoked I can really go off on people. That has to change. I have issues that are beyond my control, which I won't discuss here but I will say that those issues ARE NOT beyond God's control. Anything is possible. I can be healed, and I can train myself through God's help and the help of others to behave in a civilized manner when angered or provoked.

There's a lady down the street that is waiting to rip my head off, and when she confronts me I want to handle it in a Christ-like manner, because I KNOW this woman does not know Jesus. I need your prayers, I need your support and I need to see everyone being nicer to each other here. I want to be able to come back and tell you that I handled her with respect and I can be proud of how I reacted.

Well, my cousin is here. God bless you all, I hope this helps somebody. It helps me to be able to share it.
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,902,298 times
Reputation: 290
I'll be praying for you, DotL.
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM
 
40,099 posts, read 26,761,498 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
but aren't you doing the same you accuse Sandgirl of doing?, are you not judging her of claiming to know the truth therefore she is wrong in your opinion because no can know the truth except Jesus.
I accused and judged no one, Fundie . . . that's your gig. It seems reading comprehension might also be a problem for you . . . even more reason to be careful how you read and interpret scripture to judge us.
Quote:
If nothing is infallible then there is nothing infallible in what you have to say either so you have no basis to argue with Sandgirl "on the basis" that nothing is infallible furthermore if you make any type of statement then you are contradicting your own fallibility by making an infallible statement of knowing something to be true, "that nothing is infallible"
What nonsense, Fundie . . . no one asserts infallibility (except you and others) who seem convinced you KNOW the ONLY truth about so many things that you can judge your brothers and sisters in Christ on that basis . . . despite clear evidence that your reading comprehension is anything but infallible.
Quote:
So why are we having this debate?
I would guess because you persist in judging who is and who is not Christian or New Age or Universalist or . . . whatever . . . instead of just witnessing your understanding in humility and love.
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
 
9,728 posts, read 3,537,339 times
Reputation: 10797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Fundie accuses me of it . . . but that is his worst fault . . . judging who is and who is not a Christian so he can dismiss their views . . . he should be more careful about doing such things. I am a Christian because of my belief in Jesus . . . whatever Fundie and his literalist buddies might prefer to believe.

You say you believe in Jesus. Does that mean that you have admitted that you are a sinner and asked Jesus into your heart as Lord and Savior? And that He died on the cross for your sins and rose again on the third day?
 
Old 01-20-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,912,405 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
You say you believe in Jesus. Does that mean that you have admitted that you are a sinner and asked Jesus into your heart as Lord and Savior? And that He died on the cross for your sins and rose again on the third day?
Isn't that what a Christian is????????? Or do you have some other definition for Christian that doesn't meet the same standard?
 
Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
 
9,728 posts, read 3,537,339 times
Reputation: 10797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Isn't that what a Christian is????????? Or do you have some other definition for Christian that doesn't meet the same standard?

The question is: What is Mystic's definition of a christian.
 
Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,912,405 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
The question is: What is Mystic's definition of a christian.
Among born again Christians, the definition you quoted is the standard used to define a Christian. If a person states they are Christian then it is assumed that that is what they mean. Unless of course, you have some other definition by which you measure a person's Christian faith or you have reason to doubt the sincerity of the persons profession of faith. So you are either asking an irrelevant, rhetorical question, or you are attempting to discredit him.

I simply do not understand this line of question....it is similar to Jesse Jackson suggesting President Obama is not "really black" because his mother was anglo. Obviously Jackson was using another definition outside mainstream definitions of being black. I am wondering what definition you are using to define Mystic that would make you question his faith in Jesus?

Last edited by Goodpasture; 01-20-2009 at 11:44 AM..
 
Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
 
40,099 posts, read 26,761,498 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
You say you believe in Jesus. Does that mean that you have admitted that you are a sinner and asked Jesus into your heart as Lord and Savior? And that He died on the cross for your sins and rose again on the third day?
Hmmmm . . . It would seem that you would like to join Fundie in determining who is or is not Christian . . . that is odd since you disavowed any such capabilities in another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
No Miss Blue, I did not misunderstand. My point is, only Jesus can judge who is and who is not a Christian. When humans say it, we are making assumptions because we cannot see a person's heart. Only Jesus can do that.
Given that you believe this . . . I can only take offense at your questioning my faith. SO . . . what exactly is your reason for questioning my Christianity? DO I have to have the same REASONS for believing what you and all Christians do . . . is that your problem? Must I fear the "wrath of God"(an utterly incomprehensible concept) . . . tell me what issues trouble you about my Christianity?
 
Old 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
 
9,728 posts, read 3,537,339 times
Reputation: 10797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hmmmm . . . It would seem that you would like to join Fundie in determining who is or is not Christian . . . that is odd since you disavowed any such capabilities in another thread. Given that you believe this . . . I can only take offense at your questioning my faith. SO . . . what exactly is your reason for questioning my Christianity? DO I have to have the same REASONS for believing what you and all Christians do . . . is that your problem? Must I fear the "wrath of God"(an utterly incomprehensible concept) . . . tell me what issues trouble you about my Christianity?

Mystic, I think you are being deceptive. The Word teaches what you must believe to be a christian. I ask you a simple question, which you refuse to answer. Your non answer says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top