U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,918,137 times
Reputation: 7014

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Cease striving...stop trying so hard to run the race and know God.
Consider yourself repped again.......I'll do it later when I've spread it around a bit more.........

 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
 
40,155 posts, read 26,789,159 times
Reputation: 6054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I know that was not what she was referring to but that is exactly what it is. "cease striving and know that I am God" I have no clue what this verse has to do with what I am talking about?
Because you may not have done it devoutly enough and actually experienced the reality of God in your inner soul. You keep puffing yourself up with words you think you understand and expect some magic reward will save you from yourself because of your obedience to what you think you understand is required. We need to tune our minds to Jesus and God . . . that is the purpose of prayer (or meditation). Rote reading and recitation of words with our mere human minds will avail us little . . . we must sense and commune with god directly and personally so that it will become written in our hearts and we will act in accord with it . . . because that is the way WE wish to act.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: NC
11,918 posts, read 14,154,365 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Thanks, Shana, and you're absolutely right. There is nothing to debate.
You're welcome, DOTL. God bless.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,918,137 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because you may not have done it devoutly enough and actually experienced the reality of God in your inner soul. You keep puffing yourself up with words you think you understand and expect some magic reward will save you from yourself because of your obedience to what you think you understand is required. We need to tune our minds to Jesus and God . . . that is the purpose of prayer (or meditation). Rote reading and recitation of words with our mere human minds will avail us little . . . we must sense and commune with god directly and personally so that it will become written in our hearts and we will act in accord with it . . . because that is the way WE wish to act.
Amen..................(can't rep you either.........)
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,918,137 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Thanks, Shana, and you're absolutely right. There is nothing to debate.
It is too bad that some so-called Christians interpret sharing as an opportunity to argue. You would think that once in a while there could be unity in spirit. I guess that so long as some people are bound by the law and others by the spirit, that unity in spirit is too much to expect.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,858 posts, read 44,638,045 times
Reputation: 58626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That is not a weakness, but one of the fruits we bear as Christians, furthermore it is scriptural. I will worry for any Christian who does not try and seek Christian fellowship or hunger for His word.

"Jesus blows His breath" What verse is that?
Rauch: Hebrew word for spirit. AKA: Breath, Wind, Moving Air.

If we focus more on religious knowledge than personal relationship with Jesus, then we take the chance of becoming like the Sanhedrin. We might know a lot of stuff, but miss Jesus when He walks (or blows) by.

This is when we get into arguments over what we consider important religious points.....while missing the whole point.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,535 posts, read 2,453,367 times
Reputation: 24049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
It is too bad that some so-called Christians interpret sharing as an opportunity to argue. You would think that once in a while there could be unity in spirit. I guess that so long as some people are bound by the law and others by the spirit, that unity in spirit is too much to expect.
You make a very valid point Goodpasture. Fundamentalist seems trapped by legalism, yet claims that he is not. I've been reading this board for over two years now, and reading silently for the last couple of months. Interesting what you can learn about people, and how some want to grow in their faith and some are stagnant.

I've watched DayoftheLord blossom spiritually since she came to the board in May. The story she told in this thread and the changes taking place in her can only be attributed to God and spiritual growth in and through Him. She listens, she observes, she's eager to learn, she has many faults but is very gracious in acknowledging them, apologizing for them and apologizing to others when she offends. She has all the attributes that we should all be striving for, myself included.

I've noticed this about many posters here and how they have grown. I'm not saying it's just DOTL, but this is her thread and she needs some building up. Sadly, I've also noticed the stagnation and fleshly stubborness of some posters that prevent them from growing.

Just some observations from an old timer. And I abhore the ugliness that is running rampant here, so you won't see much of me. Besides, Jesus will be returning soon and I've got work to do elsewhere. God bless.
 
Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,918,137 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
You make a very valid point Goodpasture. Fundamentalist seems trapped by legalism, yet claims that he is not. I've been reading this board for over two years now, and reading silently for the last couple of months. Interesting what you can learn about people, and how some want to grow in their faith and some are stagnant.

I've watched DayoftheLord blossom spiritually since she came to the board in May. The story she told in this thread and the changes taking place in her can only be attributed to God and spiritual growth in and through Him. She listens, she observes, she's eager to learn, she has many faults but is very gracious in acknowledging them, apologizing for them and apologizing to others when she offends. She has all the attributes that we should all be striving for, myself included.

I've noticed this about many posters here and how they have grown. I'm not saying it's just DOTL, but this is her thread and she needs some building up. Sadly, I've also noticed the stagnation and fleshly stubborness of some posters that prevent them from growing.

Just some observations from an old timer. And I abhore the ugliness that is running rampant here, so you won't see much of me. Besides, Jesus will be returning soon and I've got work to do elsewhere. God bless.
You ever get to Tulsa-town, we should get together for a cup of coffee or a cold beer or something. I think I would like to visit with you some day. YBIC
 
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,535 posts, read 2,453,367 times
Reputation: 24049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
You ever get to Tulsa-town, we should get together for a cup of coffee or a cold beer or something. I think I would like to visit with you some day. YBIC
Awww, thanks Goodpasture!!! I see you're a friend of Miss Blue, so any friend of hers is a friend of mine!!! I'll be sure to make my way to Tulsa after sittin' a spell on the porch with Blue in Kin-tucky!!
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:01 AM
 
7,813 posts, read 10,712,075 times
Reputation: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

Question: If you are not praying and reading your bible while you are alone with Him, then how can you grow?

Maybe by just sitting in the silence.

And listening to that, for once.

You might be amazed what you actually hear there...


Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top