U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,628,382 times

Advertisements

I would rather have Jesus in me, and not just "walking by". That way. He is with me regardless of where I am...even while I am setting here at my computer.

Yes , God's creation is awe inspiring...but it does not tell you all that is needed to know about God.

I love spending time alone in His creation, but many are not able to do that, but they can know He is present (if they are in Him, and He is in them) where ever they are...even if it is in a hospital bed, a city appartment, a tour in Iraq, or even in a jail cell! And He can always be found in His word.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,716,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Maybe by just sitting in the silence.

And listening to that, for once.

You might be amazed what you actually hear there...

Take gentle care.
When I sit silently in a corner and "clear my mind" it is not pretty, all sorts of sins creep in but when I meditate on His word quietly those things do not happen.

Hindus can do that, Buddhist can do that even Pagans can do that. Sitting in silence blowing in the wind does not supply moral excellence, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, love.

Spiritual growth is a lifelong process that occurs as we study and apply God's Word and walk by the Spirit (seeking spiritual things and rejecting what the flesh wants). As we seek after spiritual growth, we can pray to God, asking Him for wisdom on what areas He desires for us to grow spiritually. We can ask God to help us increase our faith and knowledge of Him.

(Psalm 1:2-3)
2 "But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water"

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 AM

13,572 posts, read 21,717,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Maybe by just sitting in the silence.

And listening to that, for once.

You might be amazed what you actually hear there...

Take gentle care.
I do that a lot, June..You are so right about what I refer to as "listening to the silence" In the silence I have spiritual ears and I hear, and feel the warmth, wisdom and healing touch of the work of God through His spirit that He gave me for that purpose.."And He walks with me and He talks with me"...in the silence....

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

11,918 posts, read 14,142,254 times
Amen. God bless.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:42 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,011,404 times
Thanks Blue, June, Shana and most especially NorthSouth for her extraordinarily kind words!!! WOW!!! Talk about a pick-me-up!!!

I made a vow and promise to God during my time spent alone with Him that I will do things His way, which is a kinder, gentler way. You all know me well enough to know how difficult this will be for me as it goes against my personality. But, it CAN be done, and it will be done through the grace of God Almighty.

MY God is an awesome God, and He is in charge of how He wants to communicate with me. I listened when He told me to go up on that mountain and looked what happened. Imagine if I had just ignored His direction?? Nothing or no one will be able to lessen MY experience with God. God is love, and the only way others can experience that love on a discussion board is if His people convey that love. Gently, patiently and lovingly. All the fruits of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,717,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post

MY God is an awesome God, and He is in charge of how He wants to communicate with me. I listened when He told me to go up on that mountain and looked what happened. Imagine if I had just ignored His direction?? Nothing or no one will be able to lessen MY experience with God. God is love, and the only way others can experience that love on a discussion board is if His people convey that love. Gently, patiently and lovingly. All the fruits of the Spirit.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
And that, my friend, is how we should be planting His seeds...by the fruits of the spirit

Btw, I am glad that when you returned from that mountain that you have found your peace in the valley below...

Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,667 times
There is joy in my heart today, DotL. You are such a blessing.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM

40,053 posts, read 26,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Thanks Blue, June, Shana and most especially NorthSouth for her extraordinarily kind words!!! WOW!!! Talk about a pick-me-up!!!

I made a vow and promise to God during my time spent alone with Him that I will do things His way, which is a kinder, gentler way. You all know me well enough to know how difficult this will be for me as it goes against my personality. But, it CAN be done, and it will be done through the grace of God Almighty.

God has indeed blessed your understanding, DOTL . . . I rejoice for you (we needn't agree on details,). God is love and we get our understanding and salvation by adopting the love Jesus spoke of as the most important commandments. God, Jesus and the holy spirit will do the rest.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God has indeed blessed your understanding, DOTL . . . I rejoice for you (we needn't agree on details,). God is love and we get our understanding and salvation by adopting the love Jesus spoke of as the most important commandments. God, Jesus and the holy spirit will do the rest.
Amen!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM

7,811 posts, read 10,703,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

Hindus can do that, Buddhist can do that even Pagans can do that.

And even an atheist like June can do that, in order to try and better understand how:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundamentalist

Spiritual growth is a lifelong process that occurs

...perhaps for this individual when she silences her self.

Receptivity to anything, (your God, or even other individuals) implies an openness to what is there in order to try and seek an understanding of what could perhaps be there.

-Because without that, it is simply beyond June how anyone could conceivably think that anyone such as she would ever find a way towards beginning to gain an understanding as to why:

Quote:

we study and apply God's Word and walk by the Spirit.

Quote:

We can ask God to help us increase our faith and knowledge of Him.

So, by your reasoning, you have thereby managed to convince June that that line from Job she read is obviously incorrect:

"Stay quiet before God, wait longingly for him..." (Psalm 37:7)

-So that quiet stillness that June thought might work, whether sitting in the mountains, or in her house, or outside in the stillness of the gently falling snow, watching as the geese fly over head? You say "no?"

Okay.

Consider me convinced. Wait over.

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity