U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post

Gently, patiently and lovingly.

Three best words June's heard all day!

Take gentle, patient, loving care, DOTL!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 PM

40,056 posts, read 26,739,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...perhaps for this individual when she silences her self.

Receptivity to anything, (your God, or even other individuals) implies an openness to what is there in order to try and seek an understanding of what could perhaps be there.

So, by your reasoning, you have thereby managed to convince June that that line from Job she read is obviously incorrect:

"Stay quiet before God, wait longingly for him..." (Psalm 37:7)

-So that quiet stillness that June thought might work, whether sitting in the mountains, or in her house, or outside in the stillness of the gently falling snow, watching as the geese fly over head? You say "no?"

Okay.

Consider me convinced. Wait over.

Take gentle care.
Mystic can only hope June is trying to point out the lack of success and error of Fundie's approach to witnessing . . . and NOT that she is serious about abandoning the quiet. I hope it is the former. Be well,
Mystic

Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
UNBELIEVABLE. Are we to only speak/type Scripture by rote when we open our mouths/type with our fingers?
Fundie's witness seems to be more effective at driving people away from Jesus and God than anything Satan might do,IMO . . . that should give him pause . . . but it seems to encourage him.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,719,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Fundie's witness seems to be more effective at driving people away from Jesus and God than anything Satan might do,IMO . . . that should give him pause . . . but it seems to encourage him.
I have seen many people come and go in this forum in two years..A few have stayed,matured and are good, gentle witnesses here and others have left..We should all be very aware that this forum is not our personal pulpit where we can shout, insult or scare the audience into believing as we do..A Christian forum should act christian and show Christ through our posts..I know people who may or may not be members who are searching for belief..We should keep that in mind and at least be kind and non insulting in our disagreements..We used to use "Lets just shake hands and agree to disagree" if a thread was going nowhere fast as so many do lately....Sadly I do know people we have chased away from the search...What does that say about ourselves? Many good members who had a positive influence on all of us have left because of some of the self righteous attitudes about Christ, the bible, and things that have nothing to do with salvation or edifying each other..

Old 01-19-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I have seen many people come and go in this forum in two years..A few have stayed,matured and are good, gentle witnesses here and others have left..We should all be very aware that this forum is not our personal pulpit where we can shout, insult or scare the audience into believing as we do..A Christian forum should act christian and show Christ through our posts..I know people who may or may not be members who are searching for belief..We should keep that in mind and at least be kind and non insulting in our disagreements..We used to use "Lets just shake hands and agree to disagree" if a thread was going nowhere fast as so many do lately....Sadly I do know people we have chased away from the search...What does that say about ourselves? Many good members who had a positive influence on all of us have left because of some of the self righteous attitudes about Christ, the bible, and things that have nothing to do with salvation or edifying each other..
I fully admit to fault in my impatience with the lack of love I see in the Fundamentalist/literalist approach to witnessing using "tough love" and the "wrath of God" (as if there could ever be such a thing) and legalism and fear-mongering to frighten people into loving God (as if such a thing were possible). It reminds me of so many foolish people searching for love who try to force someone to love them or threaten to hurt the one they actually do love to make them love them. Fear and love are incompatible. Sorry Miss Blue and my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ . . . if I am in any way a part of that which you are chastising . . . I am only human.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,800 times
I see love for the Lord in your posts, Mystic. We are only human...

Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,012,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
And that, my friend, is how we should be planting His seeds...by the fruits of the spirit

Btw, I am glad that when you returned from that mountain that you have found your peace in the valley below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
There is joy in my heart today, DotL. You are such a blessing.
Thanks to both of you, so very much. It's funny because when I left the mountain, I had not yet fully grasped or understood what just happened. Honestly, I was a little bit confused and overwhelmed. The effects of it grow stronger and clearer each day, just like God's love. I'm really at a loss for words how profoundly this has impacted me......Indescribable.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,719,133 times
Quote:
I fully admit to fault in my impatience with the lack of love I see in the Fundamentalist/literalist approach to witnessing using "tough love" and the "wrath of God" (as if there could ever be such a thing) and legalism and fear-mongering to frighten people into loving God (as if such a thing were possible). It reminds me of so many foolish people searching for love who try to force someone to love them or threaten to hurt the one they actually do love to make them love them. Fear and love are incompatible.
Another fantastic post and I agree 100%..Tough love is a new concept..I don't think it should be associated with Christ witnessing either.."tough love" caused my nephew to hang himself I agree that fear and love are never compatible..Love builds trust which builds faith..Fear is just that..frightening...Thanks Mystic

Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,262,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Thanks to both of you, so very much. It's funny because when I left the mountain, I had not yet fully grasped or understood what just happened. Honestly, I was a little bit confused and overwhelmed. The effects of it grow stronger and clearer each day, just like God's love. I'm really at a loss for words how profoundly this has impacted me......Indescribable.
It's called sanctification! And each day DOTL...... it will become sweeter and sweeter! No matter what is going on around you!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,012,239 times
Quote:
God has indeed blessed your understanding, DOTL . . . I rejoice for you (we needn't agree on details,). God is love and we get our understanding and salvation by adopting the love Jesus spoke of as the most important commandments. God, Jesus and the holy spirit will do the rest.
Thank you, Mystic!! No, we do not need to agree on the details.....we don't even have to discuss them!! Part of my understanding has been that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the ONLY ones who CAN do the rest. The Word needs to be shared, Jesus needs to be taught and my role is to project Jesus. I have failed miserably, and God had to draw me to a mountainside to get my attention about that.

Quote:
I fully admit to fault in my impatience with the lack of love I see in the Fundamentalist/literalist approach to witnessing using "tough love" and the "wrath of God" (as if there could ever be such a thing) and legalism and fear-mongering to frighten people into loving God (as if such a thing were possible). It reminds me of so many foolish people searching for love who try to force someone to love them or threaten to hurt the one they actually do love to make them love them. Fear and love are incompatible. Sorry Miss Blue and my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ . . . if I am in any way a part of that which you are chastising . . . I am only human.
Admitting and apologizing....what a concept, huh??? I think Blue was just speaking in general (except for maybe one) about how we ALL have behaved badly at one time or another, or several. I can't promise that I won't mess up again, but I can promise that I will do better. Like you said, we're just human. Just a little above the animals, and a little lower than the Angels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity