U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,007,507 times

Advertisements

This is in direct relation to the "keeping the Sabbath" thread.

Bideshi just said the following in that thread, and what he said was an "A-ha" moment for me. It brought what I just experienced with God full circle. Thanks Bideshi.

Quote:
If you keep the Sabbath, I suggest doing an exaustive search of the Bible using a good concordance. The Bible tells us to commune with nature to enjoy and be in awe of God's creation. We are told to visit the sick and those in prison. We are not told to attend a church or temple service, though we are encouraged to fellowship with other believers. While you are at it, I suggest a search on tithes as well. You will be surprised what the Bible really says about titheing. Religion should not be a profit making business, though there are many who will shamelessly lie to you to keep you contributing to their privileged, luxurious lifestyle. Paul supported his ministry as a tent maker. Does your minister have a regular job in addition to being a pastor? A pastor who tries to shame you if you are not in church every time the doors are open is only concerned that you be there when the plate is passed. There are sincere men of God and there are hucksters. Learn the difference.
A couple weeks ago I was praying for God to reveal something to me, anything. I mostly wanted to know if He was pleased with me, and if there was anything more that He wants me to be doing to further the gospel. As I was drifting off to sleep, the name of a beautiful mountain destination flashed in my mind, like a neon sign. I had not thought of this place or visited it in many years, so I know that the "sign" came from God.

I knew what I had to do the very next day. I went to this place alone, not knowing why God was sending me there....I just knew I had to go. I told no one that I was going, and God led me to take pen and paper along also. It was the most awesome, inspiring experience I have ever had, and when I arrived God reminded me of a time when I was 7 years old and how I had spent time alone with Him in a chapel at a camp I attended in the mountains.

It was unbelievable!!! God had brought me there JUST FOR ME, to spend time with just HIM. He made me feel so special that day, letting me know He's been with me all along and that He remembers and appreciates my reverence even when I was 7 years old. I lost my way for many years, and it felt like everything had come full circle.

So as not to make this first post too long, I'll stop here and add more later. I've been trying for two weeks now to figure out how to share this on the board, and Bideshi just said the most beautiful thing about how we are to commune with God through the beauty of the nature that He created. His post was from God, no doubt.

Since that day I've been drawn further and further away from this board. I pray that you all will have an experience like this....there are no words to describe it really. I'm now questioning everything to do with CD, and the fruitlessness of it. Scgraham said something in the Sabbath thread also that struck a cord with me too:

Orginally quoted by scgraham:
Quote:
Did you know that debating the scripture is sin?
Quote:
(2 Corinthians 12:21) "Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed."

Explain the scripture. If all someone wants to do is debate, then move on. The scriptures speak for themselves.
It all just seems futile and sinful now. Anyone else feeling the same way or maybe God is just speaking to me about this?

I had visitors that came to my door from a church nearby, and it seems that is way more effective because they were sincere, they prayed with me and encouraged me and it's so much more personal. Not that I could go door to door, but like Bideshi said....visiting the sick and prisons. Any thoughts?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,103 times
Beautiful! So this is what you eluded to awhile back! What an amazing day for you!

I need to pray on all you spoke of. Have a good day, DotL!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Beautiful! So this is what you eluded to awhile back! What an amazing day for you!

I need to pray on all you spoke of. Have a good day, DotL!
Yes!!! Thank you! It was truly life changing, and so many things have been answered by this trip. I want to thank you also, SW, because I read a post of yours too that made me think and rethink what I have been doing here and HOW I have been doing it. I can't remember what thread it was now, but I'm going to find it and give you a rep!!

I'm as guilty as anyone else of keeping the flames fanned around here, and I'm praying about this also. I don't want to leave the board altogether, but God is definitely dealing with me about the time spent here and the quality of my posts. The board has been good to me as far as the people and the things I have learned so I don't want anyone to think I am board bashing now. It's just that the Lord is trying to tell me something and I'm listening, waiting and praying in the meantime.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,901,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Yes!!! Thank you! It was truly life changing, and so many things have been answered by this trip. I want to thank you also, SW, because I read a post of yours too that made me think and rethink what I have been doing here and HOW I have been doing it. I can't remember what thread it was now, but I'm going to find it and give you a rep!!

I'm as guilty as anyone else of keeping the flames fanned around here, and I'm praying about this also. I don't want to leave the board altogether, but God is definitely dealing with me about the time spent here and the quality of my posts. The board has been good to me as far as the people and the things I have learned so I don't want anyone to think I am board bashing now. It's just that the Lord is trying to tell me something and I'm listening, waiting and praying in the meantime.
Please keep us updated, would you? What an exciting time for you! Those times of waiting can be some of the best... I'm happy for you.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Something I want to share before I get started with my day that speaks about communing with God and nature.

The weather was horrible the day I went to the mountains.....it was extremely windy, rainy and cold. I even asked God why in the world did he want me to go way up in the mountains on a day like this, and I thought maybe I misunderstood about what day I was supposed to go. So I thought, well, if God doesn't want me to go today then there will be an interruption and I won't be able to.

I proceeded and the trip was flawless, except for tons of limbs and branches along the twisting and winding road. There was no traffic to speak of, and the minute I arrived the sun came out. I'll share later what I was inspired to write, but the most amazing weather experience happened also. As I sat in the little outdoor chapel on the side of a mountain, I saw and heard God's power in nature from roaring winds, dramatic drop in temperature, darkness, shadows, bright sunshine, rain and even snow on my way back down the mountain!!! Absolutely amazing.

Hope you all have an amazing, awe-inspiring and blessed day!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 AM

178 posts, read 348,786 times
I'm curious about what you feel about the bolded part of the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
If you keep the Sabbath, I suggest doing an exaustive search of the Bible using a good concordance. The Bible tells us to commune with nature to enjoy and be in awe of God's creation. We are told to visit the sick and those in prison. We are not told to attend a church or temple service, though we are encouraged to fellowship with other believers. While you are at it, I suggest a search on tithes as well. You will be surprised what the Bible really says about titheing. Religion should not be a profit making business, though there are many who will shamelessly lie to you to keep you contributing to their privileged, luxurious lifestyle. Paul supported his ministry as a tent maker. Does your minister have a regular job in addition to being a pastor? A pastor who tries to shame you if you are not in church every time the doors are open is only concerned that you be there when the plate is passed. There are sincere men of God and there are hucksters. Learn the difference.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,625,862 times
DotL, I can identify with your experience. I have communed with God through nature more than once in my life...even in my youth. It can be very soothing. I am a gardener, and being /working, in the garden can bring one closer to God, if you are a believer. ( I am sure there are many nonbeliever's who garden also.) We have a bluff below our house, and a ravine that runs through our property, with a wet weather waterfall in it. I used to spend time down there communing with God. It is now becoming difficult for me to get down there.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,417,556 times
Default God is speaking to hearts...

My goodness.....what a blessing to my heart to read this thread....Love

Old 01-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
I'm curious about what you feel about the bolded part of the quote.
I agree with it. I'm not here to judge the megachurches and the televangelists, that's God's job. But it's my personal feeling that a man or woman of God who is in authority and has influence over millions should be as flawless in their owns lives as possible. They should live simply and not live in mansions and fly personal jets. ALL of the money coming into a ministry should go to God's work, not what's left over after paying million dollar salaries and mortgages.

Some feel they are entitled to reap the benefits of a large, prosperous ministry because they work hard. I don't see it that way. God does not deny his own prosperity.....being prosperous is not a sin. But does prosperity always mean rich? Not in my opinion. Teaching monetary prosperity is wrong.

Now as far as Christians gathering in fellowship, that comes in many forms and it is always good. But that doesn't mean it has to be in a church building. We are fellowshipping right now.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
DotL, I can identify with your experience. I have communed with God through nature more than once in my life...even in my youth. It can be very soothing. I am a gardener, and being /working, in the garden can bring one closer to God, if you are a believer. ( I am sure there are many nonbeliever's who garden also.) We have a bluff below our house, and a ravine that runs through our property, with a wet weather waterfall in it. I used to spend time down there communing with God. It is now becoming difficult for me to get down there.
Thanks for sharing Marian...I'm sorry you can't get down to the ravine like you used to. And you're right about gardening....it is soothing and relaxing, and a perfect way to spend time with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
My goodness.....what a blessing to my heart to read this thread....Love
Thanks Verna!!! God really is speaking to hearts right now!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity