U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:17 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,461,874 times

Advertisements

Here are a couple of excerpts from the article: Official have said that consumer electronics are necessary for distributing the Bible in today's world.

Besides printed text, "the voice of the divine word must also resonate over the radios, internet channels with virtual online distribution, CD's, DVD's, iPods, and, on television and cinema screens, reads an official statement.

Here's to enforcing Sunday worship, then again that may not be a bad thing since most of you attend anyway. The only difference now is, it will be done the Catholic Church's way.

Right on time for February 2009, Got your converters yet? Think it's a coincidence? Think again...........................Pope Benedict the next YouTube star? | Digital Media - CNET News

Ps: Pardon the typo, meant to be Church instead of churce.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 01-17-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 03:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,864,546 times
I have to tell you that this line made me giggle... "The with-it Pope even got a 2GB white iPod Nano as a gift and uses acronyms in his text messages." I can't help it...lol.

Anyways, I don't think I've read a post by you so far about the converter boxes. Is there a worry with those? I don't need one here in our home.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I have to tell you that this line made me giggle... "The with-it Pope even got a 2GB white iPod Nano as a gift and uses acronyms in his text messages." I can't help it...lol.

Anyways, I don't think I've read a post by you so far about the converter boxes. Is there a worry with those? I don't need one here in our home.

No, I've never posted anything about converters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsPw3...ext=1&index=62

Or could it be.......................Heaven Without Her: What's the real reason for digital TV?

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 01-17-2009 at 04:02 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM

152 posts, read 275,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
No, I've never posted anything about converters.
YouTube - The switch to Digital TV is a Little More Than A Year Away

Or could it be.......................Heaven Without Her: What's the real reason for digital TV?
I really hope the "Heaven without Her" post was meant to be a joke. The author clearly does not understand why the switch is coming. With the rapid advance in technology the world is demanding faster, cheaper, and more reliable communication. If everything were analog, radio waves would be so cluttered communication would be nearly impossible. Switching to digital simply allows us to transfer information much more efficiently than its analog counterpart.

Seeing how the author thinks this switch to digital is some type of Satanic trick... what about other advances in technology?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 PM

Ajeck to be honost with you, I don't know anything about it being a "satanic trick". My question is though: How else would the whole world suppose to see the two witnesses of Revelation without technology?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,864,546 times
The two witnesses. To me, that is the most exciting thing...can you imagine being around to see and hear them?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
The two witnesses. To me, that is the most exciting thing...can you imagine being around to see and hear them?
Hopefully we'll be raptured out of here by then, if not, I'll stay close to them as no harm can come to them.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM

152 posts, read 275,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Ajeck to be honost with you, I don't know anything about it being a "satanic trick". My question is though: How else would the whole world suppose to see the two witnesses of Revelation without technology?
Well the person who wrote that article pretty much summed it up in the last few paragraphs by saying this.

Quote:
It's not that I think this is a conspiracy of men -- I don't. I think that it’s all Satan, and that he is using, for his own purposes, gullible people who don’t have a clue what they’re really promoting.
So essentially this is the "Satanic trick" that I pointed out the author was mentioning.

What i'm trying to say is that really this switch to digital does not change anything in regards to the scripture. The only thing that could be said is that TV "could" show everyone in the world the two witnesses. So in a sense there is nothing new about this idea. Television has been around for plenty of years... and i do not recall the bible differentiating between analog and digital broadcasts.

Are we going to be told it is the end of the world every time we advance in communication technology? What about cell phones and streaming video on the internet?

I take these end of world hypotheses with a grain of salt. People come out and say "the world will end soon... Jesus is coming". Yes, I agree that one day the world will probably end. But what exactly is "soon"? As each year passes by people become more and more skeptical with such claims. Yes one can say "well you are just getting closer to the end..." but we still don't know how far it is.

Also, I don't think one of Jesus' teachings was paranoia.

Last edited by Ajeck; 01-17-2009 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 PM

37,644 posts, read 25,337,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
Also, I don't think one of Jesus' teachings was paranoia.
Excellent use of Jesus' example in responding to scripture . . . why that aspect is ignored so much is a mystery. WWJD.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM

My question remains: What is the intent, purpose, if I may for the Catholic Church to go digital, if not to start enforcing Sunday worship, their way, their choosing of denomination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity