U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,704,138 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut:

Folks, it's the biblical chapter about LOVE.

Let's try and uphold that?

Okay?

On topic...?

Thanks.

-June
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 AM

740 posts, read 1,840,412 times
The Greek word used for believe is pisteu/w, and this is what it means:

Original Word Word Origin
pisteu/w from (4102)
Transliterated Word Phonetic Spelling
Pisteuo pist-yoo'-o
Parts of Speech TDNT
Verb 6:174,849
Definition
to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
of the thing believed
to credit, have confidence
in a moral or religious reference
used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith 1bc) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
to be entrusted with a thing

New Testament Greek - StudyLight.org

Old 01-18-2009, 02:31 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
The other scripture thread that I posted is going so well, I decided to ask opinions of this one.
It is in the "love" chapter and verse seven says:
love, "bears all things,believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things".

The part that I have a problem with is the, "believes all things".
What are the "things" that are being referred to? It surely must be scriptural things, because we are not to believe error.

Your kind thoughts, please.
It might be noted that the main type of Love here spoken of is the principled Love (agape), especially in this scripture and your specific reference to "believes all things". You can actually google a "Professor William Barclay and his book, "New Testament Words". Here's a portion of his definition of the biblical Greek word of Agape Love.
Quote:
"Agapé has to do with the mind: it is not simply an emotion which rises unbidden in our hearts [as may be the case with philía]; it is a principal by which we diliberately live. Agapé has supremely to do with the will. It is a conquest, a victory, an achievement. No one ever naturally loved his enemies. To love ones enemies is a conquest of our natural inclinations and emotions. This agapé . . . . is in fact the power to love the unlovable, to love people to whom we do not like."
So love is possitive, it's not negative. This does'nt mean that love is gullible. It is not quick to believe sensational statements. But for one to have to come to have faith in God, one must have the will to believe. So love is not skeptical, or unduly critical. It does not resist believing as does the atheist, who dogmatically states that there is no God, nor is it like the agnostic, who dogmatically asserts that it is simply impossible to know where we came from, why we are here, and what the future will be like. God's word the Bible, gives us the assurance in regard to all these things. Love is also ready to believe because it is trusting, and not unduly suspicious.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,628,957 times
In further research it appears the word "things" is added by the translaters. It seems " believes all" would be more accurate. But that still does not change what it is refering to.
I have pondered on that phrase for years. It isn't something new for me to wonder about it, but in light of what many of you have said, I agree, it is speaking of the scriptures...i.e., the truth.

Thanks for the kind responses.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM

738 posts, read 1,695,155 times
Love never stops being patient, never stops believing, never stops hoping, never gives up.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 PM

21,639 posts, read 30,249,870 times
My Bible says verse 6-7 "It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance".
It is impossible to have this kind of love unless God helps us set aside our own natural desires.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,143,174 times
Quote:
It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance".

Love never stops being patient, never stops believing, never stops hoping, never gives up.
This is my understanding too. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity