U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM
 
40,036 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
It's evident that you and I have vastly different opinions about the definition of a Christian. My definition does not include humanism and secularism. Anyone who wants to try and not be particularly Christian in their prayer concerns me. It's evident that the great and mighty United States has fallen flat on it's faith spiritually with beliefs such as this! We have become like Europe...Godless.
Choosing different attributes to discriminate against others because YOU believe they are Christian is not remotely Christian. Jesus did not discriminate, period . . . especially about worldly things. When will Christians finally realize that carnal things are of concern ONLY if they produce "spiritual sin" (your state of mind) thereby harming the spiritual fate of your soul. Paul emphasized this individual spiritual character to our thoughts about what we do in Romans 14:14,

. . . I know and am confident in the Lord Jesus that nothing is of itself unclean; But to him who regards anything as unclean, to him it is unclean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
4,687 posts, read 5,533,753 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
BTW, Obama will be using a Bible.......and it is only Obama who is being inaugerated.....him and Biden, who, as a Catholic, will also use a Bible.....so your initial premise that the "Bible won't be used at Inauguration" is in error.
I think you're being kind when you say "in error." It is, in fact, a lie. If we have learned anything over the last 8 years, it's that we should call a lie a lie when we know it to be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,570 posts, read 7,929,787 times
Reputation: 5985
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Choosing different attributes to discriminate against others because YOU believe they are Christian is not remotely Christian. Jesus did not discriminate, period . . . especially about worldly things. When will Christians finally realize that carnal things are of concern ONLY if they produce "spiritual sin" (your state of mind) thereby harming the spiritual fate of your soul. Paul emphasized this individual spiritual character to our thoughts about what we do in Romans 14:14,

. . . I know and am confident in the Lord Jesus that nothing is of itself unclean; But to him who regards anything as unclean, to him it is unclean.
Romans 14 is specifically speaking about food. The laws forbade Jews to eat specific foods like shellfish etc. But now that the Messiah had come the laws were no longer existent. However, many people still felt compelled to obey certain laws, and Paul was saying that it was okay because they were doing so for the Lord. And if someone was eating something that could possibly offend a brother or sister, he/she should respect their feelings/beliefs and not eat that in front of them.

Here is the complete chapter to read. BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Romans 14;;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 PM
 
783 posts, read 1,183,081 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
George talked "Christian," Obama walks the walk.......
Do you believe that President Elect Obama’s position on abortion would be considered a “Christian walk”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM
 
40,036 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Romans 14 is specifically speaking about food. The laws forbade Jews to eat specific foods like shellfish etc. But now that the Messiah had come the laws were no longer existent. However, many people still felt compelled to obey certain laws, and Paul was saying that it was okay because they were doing so for the Lord. And if someone was eating something that could possibly offend a brother or sister, he/she should respect their feelings/beliefs and not eat that in front of them.

Here is the complete chapter to read. BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Romans 14;;
It is irrelevant to the interpretation WHAT the "unclean" thing was . . . the relevance to spiritual understanding is that its status is determined by the THOUGHTS of the specific individual. THAT is spiritual understanding not carnal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,570 posts, read 7,929,787 times
Reputation: 5985
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is irrelevant to the interpretation WHAT the "unclean" thing was . . . the relevance to spiritual understanding is that its status is determined by the THOUGHTS of the specific individual. THAT is spiritual understanding not carnal.

This makes no sense. One cannot take scripture and turn it into what they want. Paul was specifically talking about food in Romans 14. It has no relevance to your attempt to speak to spiritual understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,899,898 times
Reputation: 7014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Do you believe that President Elect Obama’s position on abortion would be considered a “Christian walk”?
of course.....even more important, HE believes it........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: NC
11,918 posts, read 14,137,527 times
Reputation: 1328
ProLife - ProObama

Strang: You’ve said you’re personally against abortion and would like to see a reduction in the number of abortions under your administration. So, as president, how would do you propose accomplishing that?

Obama: I think we know that abortions rise when unwanted pregnancies rise. So, if we are continuing what has been a promising trend in the reduction of teen pregnancies, through education and abstinence education giving good information to teenagers. That is important—emphasizing the sacredness of sexual behavior to our children. I think that’s something that we can encourage. I think encouraging adoptions in a significant way. I think the proper role of government. So there are ways that we can make a difference, and those are going to be things I focus on when I am president.

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life_article.php?id=7591 (broken link)



God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-17-2009 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 PM
 
40,036 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
This makes no sense. One cannot take scripture and turn it into what they want. Paul was specifically talking about food in Romans 14. It has no relevance to your attempt to speak to spiritual understanding.
I understand that to your way of reading and interpreting scripture . . . it is tied to carnal things and situations . . . so you derive meaning from that. If it brings you to Jesus and encourages you to follow him and the holy spirit in your life . . . that's all you need. I need to understand the deeper spiritual significance that it has for how I am to form my thoughts and control my feelings to produce the kind of consciousness that is pleasing to Jesus and God. So I need to look deeper than the surface appearance. That brought me to Jesus (from a long way away) . . . so it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,460,910 times
Reputation: 3101
Well, to clarify, the Bible will be used at the inauguration, just not by Gene Robinson. Obama is taking the oath on Lincoln's Bible. But frankly I don't care. I'm more concerned that Obama governs in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. If he does that, but takes his oath on a stack of law books, that's fine by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top