Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
However, I do have a suggestion. If you don't think abortion is right, then don't have one.
Looking after OUR FATE seems like such a significant and sufficient burden that . . . turning the desire to be one's "brother's keeper" into the responsibility to be one's brother's nagging scold and condemner is surely imprudent . . . or at the least, overkill, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
We have become like Europe...Godless.

Would you care to expand on that?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How you can derive from John 10 that Jesus discriminated against people who could come to him (be Christians) is beyond my (not too shabby) hermeneutic skills. Enlighten me.
John 10:16
Quote:
16 And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.
You are right, there isn’t discrimination towards any man who places their faith in Christ Jesus; Salvation is available to all mankind. The point in which Christ does discriminate is to those he allows His gift of Salvation to. The only way to eternal Salvation is through faith in Christ alone. One flock; those walking in faith in Christ hear His voice, follow His teachings. They will openly profess their faith in Christ Jesus as Lord . They will not profess that there are many gods, many sheppards, many ways to salvation or salvation to all regardless of where they place their “faith”. His flock will not turn away from His teachings or hide the truth that is Jesus.
Mark 4: 21-25
Quote:
And he said to them, “Is a lamp brought in to be put under a basket, or under a bed, and not on a stand? 22 For nothing is hidden except to be made manifest; nor is anything secret except to come to light. 23 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.” 24 And he said to them, “Pay attention to what you hear: with the measure you use, it will be measured to you, and still more will be added to you. 25 For to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”
God makes it clear throughout Scripture that He will indeed discriminate.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I'm sorry, I don't parse scripture. I do not play oneupmanship with scripture. If it was clear cut, and needed no interpretation, it would have been made law in the 19th century. If the way you interpret the Bible leads you to try and make abortion illegal, then you have every right to try and influence your politicians to make it illegal. Until you do make it illegal though, it is a moot point, in this country. So long as the typical "Christian" accepts the invasion of Iraq, the torture and incarceration of Muslims, supports the invasion of Palestine, supports the death penalty, and maintains a standing army which is trained to kill human beings, I find your anti-abortion stance hypocritical. Until such time as you adhere to ALL Judaic law and do not select and choose which to believe in and which to disregard, your credibility is in serious question.

However, I do have a suggestion. If you don't think abortion is right, then don't have one.
I appreciate your apology and humbly offer my apology for asking you to help clarify your position. Thanks for your participation.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
ProLife - ProObama

Strang: You’ve said you’re personally against abortion and would like to see a reduction in the number of abortions under your administration. So, as president, how would do you propose accomplishing that?

Obama: I think we know that abortions rise when unwanted pregnancies rise. So, if we are continuing what has been a promising trend in the reduction of teen pregnancies, through education and abstinence education giving good information to teenagers. That is important—emphasizing the sacredness of sexual behavior to our children. I think that’s something that we can encourage. I think encouraging adoptions in a significant way. I think the proper role of government. So there are ways that we can make a difference, and those are going to be things I focus on when I am president.

RELEVANT MAGAZINE :: Covering God, Life and Progressive Culture (http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life_article.php?id=7591 - broken link)

God bless.
Hmmm, thought this was nothing new but something that has "already" been ongoing. No details given on how he states the government can make a difference...same old dance....same old song.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 PM

178 posts, read 403,908 times
All governments derive their authority and position by Almighty God. God ordains governments to rule according to His will. When governments decide to deny God's authority and His will, they no longer are due obediance. We are not to support, participate, or pledge allegiance to any government who denies the Divine authority of our Father in Heaven. How can we? We are bondservants of Christ who follow the Divine Law FIRST and before all others. God does not bless those who choose to abide by man's law before His. He punished Israel for wanting to be ruled like other nations, by a human king. He rejects those who follow the statutes of earthly governments instead of His commandments.

We must realize that the US government (as most others) oppresses its people through taxes, ordinances, licenses, statutes, fines, etc. This is not a Godly government. The only duty of government is to SERVE its people by the Law of God. It is to punish evil-doers and to reward those doers of good. Is this what we had with George Bush? Is this what we will have with Barack Obama?

Ask yourselves if you feel like policemen, congressmen, judges, etc. are your servants. Do you feel like the sovereign God tells you that you are.

Think about it.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
John 10:16

You are right, there isn’t discrimination towards any man who places their faith in Christ Jesus; Salvation is available to all mankind.
OK . . . then we understand each other.
Quote:
The point in which Christ does discriminate is to those he allows His gift of Salvation to. The only way to eternal Salvation is through faith in Christ alone. One flock; those walking in faith in Christ hear His voice, follow His teachings. They will openly profess their faith in Christ Jesus as Lord . They will not profess that there are many gods, many sheppards, many ways to salvation or salvation to all regardless of where they place their “faith”. His flock will not turn away from His teachings or hide the truth that is Jesus.
I was following you up through hear his voice and follow his teachings . . . but where on earth did you get all that other nonsense from . . . All the professing and shalt nots? As long as they do not turn away from his teachings and life . . . where did you get the rest of the pronouncements.
Quote:
God makes it clear throughout Scripture that He will indeed discriminate.
Sorry . . . you seem to see things I do not see anywhere in the scripture of Jesus.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 PM

122 posts, read 224,249 times
I'm gawdless & happy. But the bible doesn't bother me, only when it's thrown in my face.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
The above is an excerpt from an article about Bishop Robinson and the inauguration. It's evident that our country has changed spiritually during the past 50 years. How sad that secular Christianity is trumping biblical Christianity. If we were ever on a downward spiral, we most definitely are now.
Barack Obama is using a bible- Lincoln's I think I read. Whose inauguration are you talking about? Is there another one?!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 PM

178 posts, read 403,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLoaf_Enchilada View Post
I'm gawdless & happy.
Sounds great. However, it is impossible to be truly happy and deny our Creator and almighty Father in heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLoaf_Enchilada View Post
But the bible doesn't bother me, only when it's thrown in my face.
It shouldn't be thrown in anyone's face. God's word is for all who desire to know it.

BTW, cool username!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity