U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 PM

178 posts, read 348,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I am more and more impressed by the Bishop every time I hear things like this. What a magnificent Christian........I bet he reaches more people with the Word than 90% of the pulpit pounders out there.
What impresses you about an openly gay and non-apologetic homosexual who claims to be a man of God, and yet will not openly profess the true faith of Christ, but will apologize for it, in front of the entire world?

This is a magnificent man of Christ?

BTW, I have no regard for 100% of the "pulpit pounders" either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:37 PM

783 posts, read 1,183,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
OK . . . but where on earth did you get all that other nonsense from . . . All the professing and shalt nots? As long as they do not turn away from his teachings and life . . . where did you get the rest of the pronouncements.

Sorry . . . you seem to see things I do not see anywhere in the scripture of Jesus.
I’m sorry; I didn’t completely explain what I meant with reference to Scripture. I’ll break it down below.
I wrote:
Quote:
They will openly profess their faith in Christ Jesus as Lord. They will not profess that there are many gods, many sheppards, many ways to salvation or salvation to all regardless of where they place their “faith”. His flock will not turn away from His teachings or hide the truth that is Jesus.
"They will openly profess their faith in Christ Jesus as Lord."
See Mark 4: 21-25 posted previously

"They will not profess that there are many gods, many sheppards"
Matthew 24: 4-5
Quote:
4 And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. 5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.
"many ways to salvation or salvation to all regardless of where they place their “faith”. His flock will not turn away from His teachings or hide the truth that is Jesus."
Matthew 25: 31-46
Quote:
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,6 you did it to me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
I hope this helps. It isn’t exhaustive by any means so please don’t hesitate to ask for further clarification on points that I’m not clear on.

Thanks for you patience.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:43 PM

31,375 posts, read 19,628,377 times
We have separation of church and state. Christians dont be selfish! It is not always totally about us. There are people of other religious beliefs in America. Respect them!!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 PM

178 posts, read 348,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We have separation of church and state. Christians dont be selfish! It is not always totally about us. There are people of other religious beliefs in America. Respect them!!
The "state" derives its power from Almighty God.
Children of Christ are not to be selfish.
It is never about us, only about our Father in Heaven.
All people should be respected as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually, the way I understand the discussion here it is about an Episcopal bishop (Christian?) who will not be using a Bible or recognizing Jesus as God during an inaugural event.
Quote:
Robinson, 61, said both Obama and vice president-elect Joe Biden will attend the event, and Obama is expected to speak. As for himself, Robinson said he doesn't yet know what he'll say, but he knows he won't use a Bible.
It’s not a “separation of church & state” concern. It’s about a person who claims to be Christian but is rejecting Christ by his refusal to recognize Him

Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 PM

31,375 posts, read 19,628,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
The "state" derives its power from Almighty God.
Children of Christ are not to be selfish.
It is never about us, only about our Father in Heaven.
All people should be respected as brothers and sisters in Christ.
The "Father in Heaven" created all people. Remember, your God, according to your Bible, rescued Hagar and Ishmael from certain death in the desert after Abraham kicked them out of the camp. Ishmael is the father of the Arab nation as well as Islam. Therefore, we have a direct example of God showing love and respect for people He knew would not have Christian descendents.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM

40,081 posts, read 26,744,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I’m sorry; I didn’t completely explain what I meant with reference to Scripture. I’ll break it down below.
I wrote:

"They will openly profess their faith in Christ Jesus as Lord."
See Mark 4: 21-25 posted previously
Mark 4:21-25 (King James Version)

21And he said unto them, Is a candle brought to be put under a bushel, or under a bed? and not to be set on a candlestick?
22For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad.
23If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
24And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.
25For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath.

I see nothing in there about thou shalt do anything about BELIEF or FAITH in Jesus . . . just witness to his light and word and follow his teachings.
Quote:
"They will not profess that there are many gods, many sheppards"
Matthew 24: 4-5
Matthew 24:4-5 (King James Version)

4And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

I see nothing about not professing many gods or many shepherds . . . just the existence of false Christs to be watchful about.
Quote:
"many ways to salvation or salvation to all regardless of where they place their “faith”. His flock will not turn away from His teachings or hide the truth that is Jesus."
Matthew 25: 31-46
I will not repost this . . . but I see nothing in it about many ways to salvation, nothing about faith . . . only that they did not live as Jesus did and do as Jesus did (I would add think as Jesus did). I never said there wouldn't be different fates for the successes and the failures . . . only that Jesus did not discriminate (in fact went out of his way to consort with all kinds of people.)

Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I will not repost this . . . but I see nothing in it about many ways to salvation,
Matthew 24: 5 addresses salvation
Quote:
5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.
"Many will come" promising to be the salvation and teaching ways to be saved outside of Christ.
Quote:
nothing about faith . . .
Matthew 25: 41-46 addresses faith vs. works
Quote:
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
"Those on His left" believe that they are saved by works rather than by faith.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,583,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
ProLife - ProObama

Strang: You’ve said you’re personally against abortion and would like to see a reduction in the number of abortions under your administration. So, as president, how would do you propose accomplishing that?

Obama: I think we know that abortions rise when unwanted pregnancies rise. So, if we are continuing what has been a promising trend in the reduction of teen pregnancies, through education and abstinence education giving good information to teenagers. That is important—emphasizing the sacredness of sexual behavior to our children. I think that’s something that we can encourage. I think encouraging adoptions in a significant way. I think the proper role of government. So there are ways that we can make a difference, and those are going to be things I focus on when I am president.

RELEVANT MAGAZINE :: Covering God, Life and Progressive Culture (http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life_article.php?id=7591 - broken link)

God bless.

You forgot to add this:
YouTube - Proof Obama Supported Infanticide / Text of the Amended Illinois Born-Alive Infants Protection Bill (SB 1082; March 13, 2003); Essentially Identical To The Federal Born-Alive Infants Protection Act Enacted In 2002 / Live Birth Abortions Vid

Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 PM

40,081 posts, read 26,744,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Matthew 24: 5 addresses salvation

Many will come promising to be the salvation and teaching ways to be saved outside of Christ.
Not remotely . . . it warns of false Christs . . . those claiming to BE CHRIST.
Quote:
Matthew 25: 41-46 addresses faith vs. works
"Those on His left" believe that they are saved by works rather than by faith.
BOTH sides are judged by WORKS. Those on the right did works even unto the least. Those on the left did NOT. How are you reading this as a faith only requirement?That is completely counter to the descriptions. Guess I better repost it.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,6 you did it to me.’

Please explain how you read these judgments as no works only faith????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or