Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:16 PM

708 posts, read 1,294,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
LOL...What verse is that?
It is simply the way things are. No verse. Just plain sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:28 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,559,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
It is simply the way things are. No verse. Just plain sense.
One thing I have learned in the world, without the gospel then there is no truth.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,832,874 times
I just think it is so funny when the world tries to rationalize their ways with no measuring system.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
That is a lie propogated my the history reformers. They were non denominational Christians and yes they rejected dogma if it was contrary to the Bible. Please get your facts straight and stop trying to change the truth into a lie.
Oh wow you are saying it is a lie that some of the founding fathers were deists?

"Deism and some strains of "liberal religion," which stressed morality and questioned the divinity of Christ, found advocates among upper class Americans, conspicuous among whom were Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Ben Franklin..."

Faith of Our Forefathers (May 1998) - Library of Congress Information Bulletin

Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Thank you!!!!! You are a universalist! Why couldn't you say that from the get go? atheist go to hell because they reject the only thing that will allow them into heaven. God sees us all vile because He is so holy and righteous thus He cannot allow sin in His presence without a redeeming factor which is Jesus! The bible says, none of us are good not one, all our good deeds are filthy rags to Him.

You are a universalist
Reminds me of a Pharisee looking for something on which to crucify Jesus.

I didn't hear Universalist in his posts. I heard he doesn't know, but those who have a heart, like that of Jesus, would probably be included in the gates of Heaven. I also heard that Christians who DO NOT have the heart of Jesus, would be sorely(literally) dissapointed.

This posts looks to be nothing but a "gotcha" set up by the "bait and trap" post. For which it is in shame. It actually looked like you were truly interested. Sorry, you were not.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,832,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Oh wow you are saying it is a lie that some of the founding fathers were deists?

"Deism and some strains of "liberal religion," which stressed morality and questioned the divinity of Christ, found advocates among upper class Americans, conspicuous among whom were Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Ben Franklin..."

Faith of Our Forefathers (May 1998) - Library of Congress Information Bulletin
No I am saying the definition of deist has changed since the time of the founding fathers. Many Christians question the divinity of Christ on occasion, but if you would be so kind as to read the actual hand written letters of these dear gentlemen then you will realize they were Christians but non denominational.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robind69 View Post
just like someone is not a christian just because they own a bible.
amen!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
No I am saying the definition of deist has changed since the time of the founding fathers. Many Christians question the divinity of Christ on occasion, but if you would be so kind as to read the actual hand written letters of these dear gentlemen then you will realize they were Christians but non denominational.
You will find that the fore fathers of our country had view points that reflected spiritual attributes not religious. If you look at the Declaration of Independence, there is no mention of Jesus, there is only the mention of "Natures God". There is no mention of God or Jesus in the constitution, what does that tell you, it means that this country was established with "protection of Divine Providence", what ever this mean to you, you have the right to view it in any manner you choose.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,030,593 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
MysticPhD,

You seem to be preaching a salvation of works grounded in Gnosticism because you appear to be rejecting the importance of the role of Faith in Christ Jesus in the Salvation of God’s people.
I am NOT rejecting the role of faith . . . I am reinterpreting its role and importance in creating within our consciousness a state of being pleasing to Jesus and God. IF all that our faith is able to accomplish within us is praising Jesus and professing our beliefs . . . it is "as a sounding brass." If all our repentance is able to accomplish within us is the outward expression of remorse and request for forgiveness with no change in our predilections . . . it is "dead in itself." IF faith does not produce in our inner consciousness the efforts and desire to conform to the guidance of the holy spirit to be like Jesus in our thoughts, feelings and actions . . . we are not saved . . . because it is not faith. (the lesson of the "pearl of great price" parable and James "faith without works")
Quote:
Would you please explain your position on Salvation; the role of Faith, and the necessity of Christ Jesus’ virgin birth, sinless life, sacrifice to atone for the sins of all mankind and then His resurrection.
This would probably be best addressed on a new thread. I have to run right now but I'll check back later tonight. Thanks.
I agree.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,437,571 times
Stop!! Just for a minute: And consider this, Please?
YouTube - How great thou art

It really does'nt matter................If you're minds made up people, it's just made up. No, let me take that back, it does matter! Stop and consider the goodness of God just for a sec, please?

Peace.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 01-19-2009 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity