U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:04 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,270,078 times

Advertisements

I am sure that this topic has come up many times before. But this time I just want to ask when you, friends, or your church's congregation are praying collectively for something, do you think God listens to those prayers more and answers them, and do you see power in more people praying for the same thing collectively be it for a person to get well, to make the economy better ect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 AM

40,043 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I am sure that this topic has come up many times before. But this time I just want to ask when you, friends, or your church's congregation are praying collectively for something, do you think God listens to those prayers more and answers them, and do you see power in more people praying for the same thing collectively be it for a person to get well, to make the economy better ect?
There may be many simple answers to this question . . . but it is not simple. Bottom lline . . . yes it can matter enormously . . . if ALL are completely sincere and in tune with one another . . . something virtually impossible to achieve in most large groups of individuals. It is NOT magic . . . it is a sincere call for God's attention. Think of those times your body calls out to you in pain when some area of your body is in distress . . . (absent the pain signals you tend to leave things alone . . . on autopilot).

What I have said is not remotely simple and it is controversial because of the difficulty in getting the participants to be sincere enough and focused enough. Unbelief or doubt is like poison in the group. Actually . . . it is easier for an analogous effect to be achieved in a sports setting . . . (it is casually termed the "home field or court advantage") . . . and it is very real. The collective will of the dominant and most committed crowd can tend to affect the outcome . . . all other things being relatively equal (team skills, etc.).

Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There may be many simple answers to this question . . . but it is not simple. Bottom lline . . . yes it can matter enormously . . . if ALL are completely sincere and in tune with one another . . . something virtually impossible to achieve in most large groups of individuals. It is NOT magic . . . it is a sincere call for God's attention. Think of those times your body calls out to you in pain when some area of your body is in distress . . . (absent the pain signals you tend to leave things alone . . . on autopilot).

What I have said is not remotely simple and it is controversial because of the difficulty in getting the participants to be sincere enough and focused enough. Unbelief or doubt is like poison in the group. Actually . . . it is easier for an analogous effect to be achieved in a sports setting . . . (it is casually termed the "home field or court advantage") . . . and it is very real. The collective will of the dominant and most committed crowd can tend to affect the outcome . . . all other things being relatively equal (team skills, etc.).
Well said!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:38 AM

30,874 posts, read 31,750,270 times
It has been proven that it has no effect, but why on earth anyone one would spend 2.3 million on this research boggles my mind.

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test - Heart health- msnbc.com

Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 AM

40,043 posts, read 26,720,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It has been proven that it has no effect, but why on earth anyone one would spend 2.3 million on this research boggles my mind.

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test - Heart health- msnbc.com
Come on, Sanspeur . . . you know the comeback for all this nonsense . . . it was embedded in my short and simple acknowledgment of it. What is the premier requirement of science . . . skepticism, doubt, etc. . . . and its presence is poison . . . as is the difficulty of getting large groups with complete sincerity. When it does happen serendipitously . . . science attributes it to placebo (meaning in the mind of the subject). The problem is THAT is the only way that it could be achieved. God reaches us and affects us through our MINDS and those of others, period . . . no magic . . . no regrowing limbs , , , no mumbo jumbo . . . SINCERE healing through the body and mind of the subject.

I know there will be no way to convince you or any other atheist or right-brain challenged individuals . . . so be it. I know what I know.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,418,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
...One prayer could chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight! Gods Word says there is strength in Unity...in numbers...all coming together as one...I don't think God answers many before He'd answer one...I don't see more power...but I sense more power when we're together corporately in prayer...and this sense of more power causes our faith to rise within us to a higher level...faith is what opens Gods ears to our prayers...so the more faith one, or many have when they pray...the more powerful the prayer!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 AM

7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
I believe it's many who come together and unite their wills with God's...when He sees this, He honors it with His favor.

His will be done.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:11 PM

298 posts, read 638,541 times
I think the greatest power of prayer is that during that time God molds us and changes our will about earthly events, not necessarily His will. Of course, He performs miracles requested through prayer, but not every time we pray for a miracle.

There is much power in prayer. When a group is praying for an event, outcome, or ministry, I believe God honors that and is much more likely to reveal His specific will for a situation or to interact miraculously for the group when the whole group is praying. The flip side of that is, when we use the gifts He has given us, it should be to accomplish His purpose and for His glory, not to meet our own desires. When we ask and receive not, it is because we wanted to serve our selfish desires and not that we wanted to accomplish His will.

Therefore, if you are asking whether getting a group of people to pray for something that is not within God's plan or timing will make that result more likely to happen anyways then I would have to ask, what is it that the group is praying for?

The power of prayer is there to transform us, to connect us to God, and to help us carry out God's will, not our own will.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 PM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
I think when many people come together to pray to God about a matter that God is very pleased, and the prayers are heard as ONE voice of the Church in unity, as it should be, if only as long as the prayer lasts..

Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...One prayer could chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight! Gods Word says there is strength in Unity...in numbers...all coming together as one...I don't think God answers many before He'd answer one...I don't see more power...but I sense more power when we're together corporately in prayer...and this sense of more power causes our faith to rise within us to a higher level...faith is what opens Gods ears to our prayers...so the more faith one, or many have when they pray...the more powerful the prayer!
Wonderful answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or