U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,017,149 times
Reputation: 58210

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I wouldn't quite say that. This thread is incorrect to those of us who believe you must be baptized to be saved. I do not want to start another debate on baptism, but I do have a question. I will ask it, listen to your answers, but not debate the answers, because I sincerely just want to know your reasoning.

Question is... for all of you that say baptism is not necessary because it's a work, and there is nothing we can do, or have to do to be saved...why is it then you believe you must acknowledge, confess, and trust? Aren't these works as well? If you cannot do anything to obtain salvation, why do you have to do these things? If you have to do these things, why is it so wrong to say you have to be baptized?

Thanks in advance.
Jamie dear, if you still have not accepted Jesus as your Savior (I assume you haven't, because you said you would let me know when you did)....then why are you worried about baptism? Baptism is a dead work if you don't know Jesus Christ. Baptism will follow after you A.C.T.---it is necessary for growth, but it is not a means to salvation. If baptism never happens, then that is not going to keep you from heaven. What will keep you from heaven is not accepting Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,644 posts, read 30,264,166 times
Reputation: 30184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
What must we do to be saved? Saved from a life without hope, the hope that only comes with knowing Christ, and saved from eternal damnation.

1. A = Acknowledge your sin before God
2. C = Confess your sin to Jesus
3. T = Trust Jesus as your Savior and Lord

ACT now.

What does the Bible teach? What is going to happen?

1. Nothing and NO ONE can hide from God
2. All people will stand before God - ALL
3. Not written - not admitted

If your name is not written in the book of Life, then there will be no admission into heaven.

ACT now, accept Jesus as your Savior because our time is short. You are a precious person in God's eyes, and He has a plan for you!!!
Great post! It's so simple, even a child can understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,874,309 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Jamie dear, if you still have not accepted Jesus as your Savior (I assume you haven't, because you said you would let me know when you did)....then why are you worried about baptism? Baptism is a dead work if you don't know Jesus Christ. Baptism will follow after you A.C.T.---it is necessary for growth, but it is not a means to salvation. If baptism never happens, then that is not going to keep you from heaven. What will keep you from heaven is not accepting Jesus.
Jesus is my Savior, DOTL...I have never said I don't know Him. I said I haven't asked Him to forgive me of everything I've done the last few years. I suppose I still haven't asked Him yet, because I don't know that I can be faithful again right now.

Betsey, of course I can't save myself, I thank God He sent His Son to do so.

I just asked a question that I was curious about. Baptism has been debated enough, and I can agree to disagree with others on the topic. I just wondered why you didn't see the other three "must do's" as works.

I hope you each have an awesome day today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,632,346 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I wouldn't quite say that. This thread is incorrect to those of us who believe you must be baptized to be saved. I do not want to start another debate on baptism, but I do have a question. I will ask it, listen to your answers, but not debate the answers, because I sincerely just want to know your reasoning.

Question is... for all of you that say baptism is not necessary because it's a work, and there is nothing we can do, or have to do to be saved...why is it then you believe you must acknowledge, confess, and trust? Aren't these works as well? If you cannot do anything to obtain salvation, why do you have to do these things? If you have to do these things, why is it so wrong to say you have to be baptized?

Thanks in advance.
Right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,017,149 times
Reputation: 58210
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Jesus is my Savior, DOTL...I have never said I don't know Him. I said I haven't asked Him to forgive me of everything I've done the last few years. I suppose I still haven't asked Him yet, because I don't know that I can be faithful again right now.
I don't understand this at all. Why would you not want to repent if you know Jesus? It seems this would be a rejection of Christ because it's like saying His dying on the cross was not good enough to cover all sin. You have to lay it at His feet, Jamie, or your walk with Him cannot begin. Not repenting to be able to continue in the sin is not part of salvation. Repent first, and ask God to deliver you from the sin. You have to work through it with Him, not run from Him because you don't want to give up the sin.

You do not have to be perfect to come to Him, or wait until you feel ready to serve Him. Ask for His forgiveness and ask for Him to make your heart and life right. You can't do this on your own. You have to repent first, and let Jesus work in you. We're all still working out our salvation, and I pray every single night for Jesus to forgive me of my sins, even if I don't think I sinned that day!!! I know that some random thought creeped in, or I reacted some way that maybe I shouldn't have to something and may not even remember it. I do not want to go to sleep without being forgiven, because we are not guaranteed to wake up to another day.

I don't say all this to condemn, Jamie...I hope you know that. It's out of genuine concern and caring. It seems you may be stuck in some kind of denominational legalism, with the question about Baptism being your main concern. Give it ALL to Jesus, that is Priority #1. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,585,780 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Jesus is my Savior, DOTL...I have never said I don't know Him. I said I haven't asked Him to forgive me of everything I've done the last few years. I suppose I still haven't asked Him yet, because I don't know that I can be faithful again right now.

Betsey, of course I can't save myself, I thank God He sent His Son to do so.

I just asked a question that I was curious about. Baptism has been debated enough, and I can agree to disagree with others on the topic. I just wondered why you didn't see the other three "must do's" as works.

I hope you each have an awesome day today!
I certainly hope I did'nt offend you mzjamiedawn. I just like to get straight to the point about matters concerning our Lord Jesus Christ. To answer your question, I personally don't see anything as "must dos". All Betsey see is Christ Jesus, and know that Salvation is a free gift from God. The Holy Spirit of God does the inside work. I feel with OBEDIENCE, to all His Words, not some, mind you....................ALL His Words, the Spirit of God will lead you, right where you, mzjamiedawn, suppose to be. Right where Betsy suppose to be. Right where Whomsoever will obey, suppose to be. Bless.


Picture this: Christ waving, saying, 'Come!".............the Holy Spirit: tugging, drawing, pulling...............then, being embrace by God Himself, "You're here my child, welcome home."

To me, it's that simple. Denomination and rules and regulations will keep you out of a loving relationship with your Father. All it requires is obedience to His Words.


Hopes your day brings you awesome revelation about Christ today too!!

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 01-20-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 AM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,902,454 times
Reputation: 290
[quote=DayoftheLord;7082941]
Quote:


I don't understand this at all. Why would you not want to repent if you know Jesus? It seems this would be a rejection of Christ because it's like saying His dying on the cross was not good enough to cover all sin. You have to lay it at His feet, Jamie, or your walk with Him cannot begin. Not repenting to be able to continue in the sin is not part of salvation. Repent first, and ask God to deliver you from the sin. You have to work through it with Him, not run from Him because you don't want to give up the sin.

You do not have to be perfect to come to Him, or wait until you feel ready to serve Him. Ask for His forgiveness and ask for Him to make your heart and life right. You can't do this on your own. You have to repent first, and let Jesus work in you. We're all still working out our salvation, and I pray every single night for Jesus to forgive me of my sins, even if I don't think I sinned that day!!! I know that some random thought creeped in, or I reacted some way that maybe I shouldn't have to something and may not even remember it. I do not want to go to sleep without being forgiven, because we are not guaranteed to wake up to another day.

I don't say all this to condemn, Jamie...I hope you know that. It's out of genuine concern and caring. It seems you may be stuck in some kind of denominational legalism, with the question about Baptism being your main concern. Give it ALL to Jesus, that is Priority #1. God bless.
Such a sweet, loving the Lord post, DotL. What a blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,874,309 times
Reputation: 550
[quote=DayoftheLord;7082941]
Quote:


I don't understand this at all. Why would you not want to repent if you know Jesus? It seems this would be a rejection of Christ because it's like saying His dying on the cross was not good enough to cover all sin. You have to lay it at His feet, Jamie, or your walk with Him cannot begin. Not repenting to be able to continue in the sin is not part of salvation. Repent first, and ask God to deliver you from the sin. You have to work through it with Him, not run from Him because you don't want to give up the sin.

You do not have to be perfect to come to Him, or wait until you feel ready to serve Him. Ask for His forgiveness and ask for Him to make your heart and life right. You can't do this on your own. You have to repent first, and let Jesus work in you. We're all still working out our salvation, and I pray every single night for Jesus to forgive me of my sins, even if I don't think I sinned that day!!! I know that some random thought creeped in, or I reacted some way that maybe I shouldn't have to something and may not even remember it. I do not want to go to sleep without being forgiven, because we are not guaranteed to wake up to another day.

I don't say all this to condemn, Jamie...I hope you know that. It's out of genuine concern and caring. It seems you may be stuck in some kind of denominational legalism, with the question about Baptism being your main concern. Give it ALL to Jesus, that is Priority #1. God bless.
You know, after I wrote what I did this morning to you, I thought the same exact thing! I thought, I'm weak right now, but God knows this, so why don't I ask Him to forgive me, and maybe that will help me on my road back to Him. So I did. I prayed for a quite a while, sharing with Him what I am feeling, why I feel that I just can't go back to attending services 3 times a week right now, but asked Him to please forgive me and help me get back on the path that HE wants me on. I realized I'm never going to be perfect, and to wait for that to happen, I will never come back to Him. I know that He has forgiven me of all sins I've repented of.

You're right in part, when you say I'm stuck in some kind of demoninational legalism, which is why right now I don't feel I can go back to services 3 times a week. Baptism has nothing to do with it though, as I was baptized about 15 yrs ago.

I haven't been posting lately, but was moved yesterday to ask about "ACT" being works as well...which led to today's posts...which led to me asking forgiveness. I'm really glad I did now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,874,309 times
Reputation: 550
Edited, for my misunderstanding!

Last edited by mzjamiedawn; 01-20-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: MI
1,289 posts, read 1,902,454 times
Reputation: 290
[quote=mzjamiedawn;7083399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post

You know, after I wrote what I did this morning to you, I thought the same exact thing! I thought, I'm weak right now, but God knows this, so why don't I ask Him to forgive me, and maybe that will help me on my road back to Him. So I did. I prayed for a quite a while, sharing with Him what I am feeling, why I feel that I just can't go back to attending services 3 times a week right now, but asked Him to please forgive me and help me get back on the path that HE wants me on. I realized I'm never going to be perfect, and to wait for that to happen, I will never come back to Him. I know that He has forgiven me of all sins I've repented of.

You're right in part, when you say I'm stuck in some kind of demoninational legalism, which is why right now I don't feel I can go back to services 3 times a week. Baptism has nothing to do with it though, as I was baptized about 15 yrs ago.

I haven't been posting lately, but was moved yesterday to ask about "ACT" being works as well...which led to today's posts...which led to me asking forgiveness. I'm really glad I did now.
Praise God!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top