Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
that is an oxymoron

How can someone continually commit idolatry by worshipping idols and be a Child of God?
That is my point of course. Praying to a statue of Mary is idolatry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:14 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
then how can you say this (marked in red) when it makes it an oxymoron?

tell me one RC who doesnt pray to mary or the saints?
their doctrine teaches this...if they dont follow it then they're not a RC

Christianity is not a race
You're not born a Christian
It's a commitment to God that you make to Jesus (only), and repentance.

You can't be an idolater and a Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I have to disagree on this point. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" and "Thou shalt make no graven image" are violated if we pray to angels, or a deceased human (Mary is not part of the Godhead, she was purely human) whether they were believers (saints) or not. A church does not make a saint. The Bible clearly teaches that all believers are saints. Even I am a saint. A man (or woman) can forgive my sin against them only. They cannot forgive any of my other sins. Only God can do that. I believe that there are many in the RC church that will be in God's Kingdom, but the closer one follows catholicism, the more in danger of condemnation they become. I know I have offended some really good people, and that grieves me, but this is what I have to believe if I believe what the Bible teaches. Learn from the Bible, not men. Men are often wrong. The Bible is never wrong.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
That is my point of course. Praying to a statue of Mary is idolatry.
Good thing we don't pray to statues.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM

you're right

http://reformationnation.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/mary-worship.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Good thing we don't pray to statues.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
then how can you say this (marked in red) when it makes it an oxymoron?

tell me one RC who doesnt pray to mary or the saints?
their doctrine teaches this...if they dont follow it then they're not a RC

Christianity is not a race
You're not born a Christian
It's a commitment to God that you make to Jesus (only), and repentance.

You can't be an idolater and a Christian
You don't HAVE to pray to mary or the saints. Its just something we take advantage of. It is NO DIFFERENT than asking your friend to pray for you. NO DIFFERENT. We don't believe mary or any saint can do anything on their own. Only Jesus. But if we take a second to ask mary to pray for us, then we have two people praying for the same thing, then another sec to ask a saint to pray for us, now we have three people praying for the same thing. We by NO means worship any of them. Worship is only intended for god.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 AM

sorry my friends arent dead.....i dont ask my dead friends for guidance as that would be necromancy

neither are my friends considered a 'coredeemer'

Quote:
You don't HAVE to pray to mary or the saints. Its just something we take advantage of. It is NO DIFFERENT than asking your friend to pray for you. NO DIFFERENT. We don't believe mary or any saint can do anything on their own. Only Jesus. But if we take a second to ask mary to pray for us, then we have two people praying for the same thing, then another sec to ask a saint to pray for us, now we have three people praying for the same thing. We by NO means worship any of them. Worship is only intended for god.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
you're right

http://reformationnation.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/mary-worship.jpg (broken link)
OH MY GOD YOU CAUGHT US!!!

If we can't have statues then you have to take away all you photos, They're just there to remind us of the wonderful life that particular person has led. They not worshiping the statue any more you worship you're spouse or family member when you look at their picture.

You sir are ignorant in the ACTUAL teachings of the RC Faith

Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
sorry my friends arent dead.....i dont ask my dead friends for guidance as that would be necromancy

neither are my friends considered a 'coredeemer'
we are all connected threw the body of christ. Through the Holy spirit, Through christs church. Death doesn't break that connection. There body might be dead, but their spirit is not.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM

when do you see Christians bowing down to photos?????

Quote:
OH MY GOD YOU CAUGHT US!!!

If we can't have statues then you have to take away all you photos, They're just there to remind us of the wonderful life that particular person has led. They not worshiping the statue any more you worship you're spouse or family member when you look at their picture.

You sir are ignorant in the ACTUAL teachings of the RC Faith

Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
when do you see Christians bowing down to photos?????
what does bowing have to do with worship? You never bow when you pray? Your response is so stupid I barely know how to respond to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity