U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,526,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I for one do not believe the RC church is "unbiblical" nor do I meet people who state that. What may be the difference is... Evangelicals take issue with the papacy being coequal to the Bible. In a thread I wrote some time ago... I outlined the "basic" differences between Evangelicals and the RC church, and most people would find we are very close to doctrinal uniformity.

Here is a short list of doctrinal differing issues... outlined after the JDDJ (Joint Declaration of the Document of Justification)
1. Evangelicals hold to sola fide (justification by faith only in Christ alone) while official Roman Catholic doctrine teaches that justification also involves human effort and merit.
2. Evangelicals teach that the new birth is not dependent on water baptism while Roman Catholic doctrine teaches that water baptism is a “sacrament of regeneration.”
3. Evangelicals affirm sola scriptura (the Word of God alone is our final authority for doctrine and Christian life) while Roman Catholic doctrine teaches that church tradition and the authority of the pope sustains equal validity with the Bible.
4. Evangelicals hold that all believers are priests with immediate access to God through Jesus Christ while Roman Catholic doctrine teaches that the clergy, saints, and the Virgin Mary are also mediators whom individuals need to approach God.

Certainly these are significant differences.... but of the issues ... NONE will keep you from salvation, from an Evangelicals perspective. This is the link to my previous post. If you have any questions or wish to to have a civil discourse... I'm all fingers!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ml#post2300711

I would like to add another one. I very large one for RC's.

The Eucarist.
RC believe that communion actually becomes the body and blood of christ through transubstantiation.

The majority of protestants just feel its a symbol.

Communion is the core of RC beliefs. With out that, We would be VERY close to alot of mainstream protestant churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 19 days ago)

2,426 posts, read 4,314,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post

The Eucarist.
RC believe that communion actually becomes the body and blood of christ through transubstantiation.

Communion is the core of RC beliefs. With out that, We would be VERY close to alot of mainstream protestant churches.
All views of the Lord’s Supper, however, take for granted that Christ is in the world in some sense. They differ in defining the precise sense in which Christ is related to the Lord’s Supper.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM

322 posts, read 657,252 times
Quote:

The Eucarist.

The wine and the bread of the holy communion is the blood and the body of JESUS CHRIST! It does not "become" so. It is not a "symbol". The failures of the Catholics and so called Evangelicals, is that so often there is a misunderstanding of the scriptures. That always happens when the flesh gets involved, which is always contrary to the SPIRIT.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,630,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
The wine and the bread of the holy communion is the blood and the body of JESUS CHRIST! It does not "become" so. It is not a "symbol". The failures of the Catholics and so called Evangelicals, is that so often there is a misunderstanding of the scriptures. That always happens when the flesh gets involved, which is always contrary to the SPIRIT.

I guess I have a problem believing it is his literal blood and body since he was still setting there, before His crucifixion, when He said that????
I do not believe in the literal in that respect, any more than I believe he is/was a 'literal' gate, lamb, lion, et al.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:36 PM

39 posts, read 60,528 times
I also struggle with the belief of the presence of Christ in the Eucharist. There is so much emphasis on it in the Catholic Church that to miss receiving it is commiting a grave sin and thus risking hell. What about the presence of the Holy spirit within a believer (Christ alive in us)? Would not the fruits of the spirit alive in us determine ones salvation more than wether or not we received the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? It seems to undermine the presence of Christ within and his grace experienced in a personal relationship with him.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM

322 posts, read 657,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I guess I have a problem believing it is his literal blood and body since he was still setting there, before His crucifixion, when He said that????
I do not believe in the literal in that respect, any more than I believe he is/was a 'literal' gate, lamb, lion, et al.
I see. So in effect, you're an unbeliever. OK, there are lots of unbelievers in the world.

I and all true believers in JESUS CHRIST have a miraculas gift of faith and revelation from GOD. That is the reason we know that the word of JESUS CHRIST is always true. That is why no one can change our minds. We have been brought into a holy communion with GOD, literally in His presence.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
I see. So in effect, you're an unbeliever. OK, there are lots of unbelievers in the world.

I and all true believers in JESUS CHRIST have a miraculas gift of faith and revelation from GOD. That is the reason we know that the word of JESUS CHRIST is always true. That is why no one can change our minds. We have been brought into a holy communion with GOD, literally in His presence.
If you mean an unbeliever in the RC doctrine...my answer is an emphatic yes! I also do not believe that Christ is a literal lamb, gate , etc. , or a lily of the valley.
I am a believer in Christ and His word.

I do not find the proof of the sentence that I highlighted, and I do not agree that it is the case. In fact I find it contrary to the word of God.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,526,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracegirl View Post
I also struggle with the belief of the presence of Christ in the Eucharist. There is so much emphasis on it in the Catholic Church that to miss receiving it is commiting a grave sin and thus risking hell. What about the presence of the Holy spirit within a believer (Christ alive in us)? Would not the fruits of the spirit alive in us determine ones salvation more than wether or not we received the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist? It seems to undermine the presence of Christ within and his grace experienced in a personal relationship with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee
The church states that you only need to receive once a year I believe, so its not that hard to make that requirement. And Jesus did say that (John 6: 53) unless you eat the the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.Plus the rest of the passage (John 6: 47-69) Many thought it was hard to believe that we would need to eat his flesh, they left and then jesus asked if the rest wanted to leave.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM

"The church states that you only need to receive once a year I believe, so its not that hard to make that requirement."

What 'church' ? The scriptures imply that it was on the first day of the week, and every week has a 'first day'. I understand that history verifies that that is how they observed it.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 60,528 times
Quote:
The church states that you only need to receive once a year I believe, so its not that hard to make that requirement. And Jesus did say that (John 6: 53) unless you eat the the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.Plus the rest of the passage (John 6: 47-69) Many thought it was hard to believe that we would need to eat his flesh, they left and then jesus asked if the rest wanted to leave.
Having the experience of a practising Catholic myself I can say that the understanding I had received of missing communion (any given Sat or Sunday) was enough to risk ones soul to hell... and unless confession could occur first, then I was not worthy of receiving communion again, until this happened. This was taught to me by a Priest and I believe was a early belief of the church which he held to.
Again I still challenge this with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and his constant presence with us. (many scriptures to support this). God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or