U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,178,459 times

Advertisements

Well, gracegirl, I have been a practicing Catholic for 62 years and was never taught that missing communion was a sin. If fact, if you are in a state of mortal sin, you should not receive communion. You should however, continue to go to Mass. The RC church requires it's members to receive communion at least once during the Easter season. That is not too difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,525,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Well, gracegirl, I have been a practicing Catholic for 62 years and was never taught that missing communion was a sin. If fact, if you are in a state of mortal sin, you should not receive communion. You should however, continue to go to Mass. The RC church requires it's members to receive communion at least once during the Easter season. That is not too difficult.
Yes. As I Understand it as well

Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM

39 posts, read 60,520 times
I had devotely practised the Catholic faith for years myself, included monthly confessions so became very familiar what was and what was not considered a mortal sin.
I encourage you to research Doctrine of your faith and where it originated from. Alot depends on whether the Priest adheres to eariliest beliefs of the church or not as well.
And if it is only required to receive communion once a year to have Christ living inside the believer, what about those who do not receive communion in the Catholic church, does that mean the Spirit of the Living Christ is not available to them? Again I struggle here as is seems to undermine the belief of Christ alive in us through a personal relationship with him by the power of the Holy spirit. God bless.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 AM

I've been apart of RCIA for three years now, and I can tell you missing Communion is NOT a mortal sin.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I've been apart of RCIA for three years now, and I can tell you missing Communion is NOT a mortal sin.
Maybe should agree to disagree with the formal of my statement, but would appreciate some input on the latter point I'm trying to make of the indwelling of Christ available to all believers through the Holy Spirit. Just looking for answers to this.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 AM

The holy spirit is in all of us. Well not all. Correct me if I'm wrong fellow Catholics, but you receive the the Holy Spirit originally through baptism and confirmation. With communion, you're physically receiving Jesus. Not just spiritually.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM

31,375 posts, read 19,621,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
The wine and the bread of the holy communion is the blood and the body of JESUS CHRIST! It does not "become" so. It is not a "symbol". The failures of the Catholics and so called Evangelicals, is that so often there is a misunderstanding of the scriptures. That always happens when the flesh gets involved, which is always contrary to the SPIRIT.
If it IS the flesh and blood of Jesus, how does that reconcile with God's command in:

Leviticus 3:17?

17 " 'This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.' "

Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM

If Jesus didn't want us to do it, He wouldn't have told us. When the disciples heard this many thought it was cannibalism and asked how could this be possible. Jesus said it again. So they walked away, Jesus said it once more, and asked if the apostles wanted to leave as well. Why would Jesus let hundreds of people leave of a slight misunderstanding.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:52 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,628,382 times
Quote:
If Jesus didn't want us to do it, He wouldn't have told us. When the disciples heard this many thought it was cannibalism and asked how could this be possible. Jesus said it again. So they walked away, Jesus said it once more, and asked if the apostles wanted to leave as well. Why would Jesus let hundreds of people leave of a slight misunderstanding.
The problem was...they were receiving it physically, not spiritually. The disciples were still thinking of things in physical terms.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
The holy spirit is in all of us. Well not all. Correct me if I'm wrong fellow Catholics, but you receive the the Holy Spirit originally through baptism and confirmation. With communion, you're physically receiving Jesus. Not just spiritually.
The original poster was communicating that the Catholic church does rely on the word of God to back doctrine. In the bible it talks of some receiving the Holy spirit even before baptism. Peter speaking to the Gentiles Acts 10:44 -47 "While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. All the circumcised believers (Jews) who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered, "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptised who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"
It was a matter of believing the message being delivered by Peter that caused the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the Gentiles here. God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or