U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:32 PM

322 posts, read 657,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If it IS the flesh and blood of Jesus, how does that reconcile with God's command in:

Leviticus 3:17?

17 " 'This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live: You must not eat any fat or any blood.' "
While I've not yet done a detailed study of this, I would say the Lev scripture you site was reffering to the old testament law concerning the eating of foods. Those Jews had very strict dietery rules given by GOD.

The Blood and Body of JESUS CHRIST is never considered to be like ordinary food. Clearly the Apostle Paul cautioned believers about partaking in the holy communion, as if it were a household meal.

In addition, The Apostle Peter was clearly told by GOD that all dieatery restrictions (as far as food types was concerned) had been removed. You will find that written about in the book of Acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,085,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
The problem was...they were receiving it physically, not spiritually. The disciples were still thinking of things in physical terms.
Exactly.
We are consuming the "Word".

Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,345,399 times
Clearly Peter did mention it in the NT

28 It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: 29You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell.

but it's to the contrary of what you wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
While I've not yet done a detailed study of this, I would say the Lev scripture you site was reffering to the old testament law concerning the eating of foods. Those Jews had very strict dietery rules given by GOD.

The Blood and Body of JESUS CHRIST is never considered to be like ordinary food. Clearly the Apostle Paul cautioned believers about partaking in the holy communion, as if it were a household meal.

In addition, The Apostle Peter was clearly told by GOD that all dieatery restrictions (as far as food types was concerned) had been removed. You will find that written about in the book of Acts.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 PM

112 posts, read 154,889 times
Holy Communion

Christianity a church service in which people take bread and wine in remembrance of Christ's Last Supper and His atonement for the sins of the world

Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,527,543 times
he said DO THIS in remembrance of me. not pretend to do this. What were they doing, they were physically receiving the BODY and BLOOD, of our dear lord Jesus. Do you not believe god can do that? Do you put limits to what god can and cannot do?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM

how does that verse mean that it physically changes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
he said DO THIS in remembrance of me. not pretend to do this. What were they doing, they were physically receiving the BODY and BLOOD, of our dear lord Jesus. Do you not believe god can do that? Do you put limits to what god can and cannot do?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM

John 6 KJV

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

He says, if any man eats the bread, he shall live for ever. The bread is the flesh. So if bread=Jesus's Flesh. Then you must east Jesus's FLESH

52The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

The don't believe him. How can this be done?

53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
57As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
58This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
59These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.

He repeats himself. This time adding that you should drink his BLOOD.

60Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

They Still don't want to believe what he's saying

61When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

He repeats hims self again, in a fashion, and tell him that he knows that some won't WANT to believe.

66From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

They Still don't want to believe, so they leave. They don't want to eat the flesh of another human.

67Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

Instead of calling them back, saying it was all a misunderstanding, that it was just a metaphor, he lets them leave, then goes to ask the apostles if they want to leave to. He doesn't change is story because its hard. He's talking literally about his FLESH and BLOOD

68Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

The apostles choose not leave but stay, and believe that he was meaning the actual FLESH and BLOOD of our Lord Jesus.
Jesus is obviously talking about the last supper here. How else can you translate that. The apostles believed that. If you read the early church father like Ignatius they ALL believed that when the blessing is said, the bread and wine becomes the ACTUAL FLESH and BLOOD of Christ

DNick

edit: Wrote wrong book, Orig had James

Last edited by DNick; 01-21-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM

again....where does it say it is the actual flesh?

Jesus referred to eating in different terms...which included 'spiritual food' not fleshly food

Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Where does it say Spirit flesh? Why would Jesus let hundreds of diciples leave if it was just over a misunderstanding. All the early church father believed exactly what I wrote

DNick

Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM

what did Jesus eat when the disciples came back to visit Him when He was at the well, and He said He already ate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Where does it say Spirit flesh? Why would Jesus let hundreds of diciples leave if it was just over a misunderstanding. All the early church father believed exactly what I wrote

DNick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or