U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 1,526,811 times
Reputation: 186

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
documents from the catholic church is not evidence

do you have anything in the bible that proves your point?

1. the Lord's supper was celebrated once per year
The early church didn't celebrate every week yet the catholic church celebrates it every week!

2. the oracles of God were given to the Jews as it states in the bible not to the Gentiles
We use the Bible, is that a catholics document? Wait it is !! THose aren't CATHOLIC Documents. There just early church writings

I'm not gonna waste my time anymore.

DNick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,342,288 times
Reputation: 1008
sorry the bible was written by Jewish men...and inspired by God

dont see how 'catholics' fit in there
canonized by catholics? maybe
written by catholics? nope

catholics also use other books that are not recognized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
We use the Bible, is that a catholics document? Wait it is !! THose aren't CATHOLIC Documents. There just early church writings

I'm not gonna waste my time anymore.

DNick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,632,346 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
and this is to show that it is spirit

John 6
60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 4,095,860 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
The point is..........so many people claim that the RC Church is not Biblical and Catholics don't believe in the Bible. No one believes us when we say that the Church is very Biblical. Got your attention, didn't I?

A little exposition of the text might be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM
 
810 posts, read 1,287,444 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
The point is..........so many people claim that the RC Church is not Biblical and Catholics don't believe in the Bible. No one believes us when we say that the Church is very Biblical. Got your attention, didn't I?
I have been told by MANY...actually maybe every Catholic that I know that the Bible is "just a book written by men". That it is not credible. So my impression that the Catholic Church is not biblical comes from Catholics. My MIL, who teaches at a Catholic school has told me on a couple of occassions that it isn't until recently that the Catholic Church encouraged members to read the Bible! In discussions, I will pull out the Bible to make a scriptural point and since it's not a credible source to them...they brush it aside.

It's ironic to me that so many Catholics will easily discredit the Bible because it was "written by men", but they put ALL of their faith in trust in a Church (and traditions) also run by men.

BTW...I agree with Renriq02 when it comes to the last supper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Southwestern Ont., Canada
39 posts, read 60,541 times
Reputation: 38
What ramifications or benefits are their to the believer who receives Jesus physically not only spiritually? Is to receive him spiritually alone enough for salvation according to Catholic belief?
What about those who receive him Physically but spiritually show no evidence of the presence of him in their life? I keep having more questions the further the discussion goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 15,342,288 times
Reputation: 1008
this is why the communion aka Lord's Supper does not save a person

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracegirl View Post
What ramifications or benefits are their to the believer who receives Jesus physically not only spiritually? Is to receive him spiritually alone enough for salvation according to Catholic belief?
What about those who receive him Physically but spiritually show no evidence of the presence of him in their life? I keep having more questions the further the discussion goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
2,420 posts, read 4,318,152 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
this is why the communion aka Lord's Supper does not save a person
I agree.... and in fact... nothing we "do" saves us. It is only by the Grace of God.

Grace = getting something we don't deserve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Florida/Tennessee
2,420 posts, read 4,318,152 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracegirl View Post
What ramifications or benefits are their to the believer who receives Jesus physically not only spiritually?

Quote:
1 Cor 11:27 For this reason, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
Actually taking of the elements is sin if you take it without carefull personal examination.
.

Is to receive him spiritually alone enough for salvation according to Catholic belief?

Quote:
I'm not RC... but I would say no. (my RC frieds can expound) Evangelicals believe communion is an essential part of the Christian faith and remains a basic tenent... but is not necessary for your salvation.
What about those who receive him Physically but spiritually show no evidence of the presence of him in their life?

Quote:
Who can see into anothers heart? On God can do that...It is not necessary for ouward evidence, for "man" to observe, to have Christ inside of you.... but I do agree that "spiritual fruit" helps us to see others as a good witness to Gods glory.


I keep having more questions the further the discussion goes on.
I love seekers!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Purgatory
396 posts, read 746,923 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
documents from the catholic church is not evidence

do you have anything in the bible that proves your point?

1. the Lord's supper was celebrated once per year
The early church didn't celebrate every week yet the catholic church celebrates it every week!

2. the oracles of God were given to the Jews as it states in the bible not to the Gentiles
Actually, you are wrong. In the Catholic Church, Mass is said every day (yes, I said EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK) EXCEPT Good Friday. During every Mass, the Liturgy of the Eucharist is included. So when you said we only celebrate communion once a week, you are completely wrong. Yes, some people only go to Mass once a week, but as I said, it's not just a once a week thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top