U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,178,886 times

Advertisements

do you really think people were that hungry to come to church for a tiny cracker and tiny cup of wine???

There you go again speaking of things you know nothing about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:55 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,337,801 times
there you go not reading the Word of God!

tell me do you have a feast at Mass or when you take communion?
What is the quantity of drink/food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
do you really think people were that hungry to come to church for a tiny cracker and tiny cup of wine???

There you go again speaking of things you know nothing about!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,081,199 times
This is getting too confusing.
I must be ignorant, or I have not followed the reasoning ( could be cause I have not read all the threads).
But I really don't understand what the heck some people are saying sometimes.
We're clearly speaking in different tongues here, and the atomsphere is one of discord, not harmony.

I'm outa here.
Gonna go watch a comedy and eat some popcorn smothered with real butter with Mrs Oakback.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,526,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna106 View Post
>>> you write: And the Early church fathers aren't divided on hundreds of scriptural interpretation, there wasn't even scripture yet.

Are you SERIOUS??? This is a joke right???
LOL. So sorry to inform you DNick...but I think that you have a LOT more "homework" than you're aware of! Evidently you know NOTHING about the early church fathers, NOR what they themselves VERY clearly called SCRIPTURE! HELLO ??? The WORD OF GOD (scripture) was written down LONG before any early CHURCH! AND therefore...LONG before any church "fathers" !! Remember the OLD TESTAMENT Nick??? Or is that not considered "scriptural" to you? WHAT, pray tell, did the early church Fathers STUDY, to beCOME church Fathers, if they had no scriptures ????? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard!
When you have 30+ years of studying under your belt, please do come back and we'll have at least a reasonably intelligent discussion on the subject at hand. Until then...please DO go and do your much needed "homework". .
You have a good day now.
When I said scripture, I was referring to the bible, and no they didn't have that yet. They only knew, other than old testament which doesn't really apply here, They only knew what the apostles had taught them, They were taught, THATS how they became church fathers, it's not like they had a NT to learn. So you tell me, what scripture did they have pertaining to the last supper in the old testament? These fathers were taught by people like Paul. And they believed that when they received communion, they received the physical body and blood of christ.

DNick

Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM

and thanks for the encouragement on my Calc 2 homework.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

do you realize that most of the stuff taught in the NT comes from the OT?

do you realize that Jesus, Paul, Peter and others used/quoted from the OT?

Do you realize that the Early celebrated Passover as the Lord's Supper...and the Gentiles wanted to celebrate it every single time they met? This is why Paul wrote the letter to Church of Corinth because of their ignorance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
When I said scripture, I was referring to the bible, and no they didn't have that yet. They only knew, other than old testament which doesn't really apply here, They only knew what the apostles had taught them, They were taught, THATS how they became church fathers, it's not like they had a NT to learn. So you tell me, what scripture did they have pertaining to the last supper in the old testament? These fathers were taught by people like Paul. And they believed that when they received communion, they received the physical body and blood of christ.

DNick

Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
there you go not reading the Word of God!

tell me do you have a feast at Mass or when you take communion?
What is the quantity of drink/food?
We have a small bite of Jesus, and tiny sip of his Blood.

The people don't come to eat a cracker and a sip of wine, though my church has some good tasting wine, They come to physically receive Jesus like he told us to do.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM

then what you're saying is wrong because Paul indicates the Lord's Supper to be a feast in where people came to eat

If if were a 'small bite of Jesus' then nobody would come 'just to eat' as Paul wrote...

22What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

btw - I find it 'strange' that you consider it the 'actual flesh of Jesus' when Paul clearly writes

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

bread...not flesh. Maybe it's a bad interpretation?

Quote:
We have a small bite of Jesus, and tiny sip of his Blood.

The people don't come to eat a cracker and a sip of wine, though my church has some good tasting wine, They come to physically receive Jesus like he told us to do.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
do you realize that most of the stuff taught in the NT comes from the OT?

do you realize that Jesus, Paul, Peter and others used/quoted from the OT?

Do you realize that the Early celebrated Passover as the Lord's Supper...and the Gentiles wanted to celebrate it every single time they met? This is why Paul wrote the letter to Church of Corinth because of their ignorance
Yes I do, A)yes I know that, the NT is the fulfillment of the OT.
and B)We're NOT TALKING ABOUT WHEN IT SHOULD BE TAKEN, we talking about what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02
then what you're saying is wrong because Paul indicates the Lord's Supper to be a feast in where people came to eat

If if were a 'small bite of Jesus' then nobody would come 'just to eat' as Paul wrote...

22What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

btw - I find it 'strange' that you consider it the 'actual flesh of Jesus' when Paul clearly writes

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

bread...not flesh. Maybe it's a bad interpretation?
What you think only a little of god isn't enough? It's Jesus, you don't have to have a FEAST, it's like a cologne, a little Jesus goes a Long way.

And yes it is still under the APPEARANCE of bread and wine.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 PM

read the whole chapter

you will see Paul is talking about a feast.

The Passover was a feast

Every Passover there is a lamb that is spotless that is brought to Jerusalem, and all the people wait at the gates for when the priest brings in the lamb. They would shout
Blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord

Jesus came in about the same time which was symbolic because He was the Perfect Lamb

When Jesus broke bread at the table He was performing the Passover meal.

Jesus was/is the Lamb at Passover
Gentiles who were idolaters were known to exploit everything, and try to mesh in their customs with God's. This is why Paul indicated that when they meet it was not to celebrate the Lord's Supper.
Jews already knew that you celebrate it once per year at Passover

Gentiles didn't know...and many still don't know

this is why the sacred oracles aka Word of God are committed to the Jews

1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Quote:
Yes I do, A)yes I know that, the NT is the fulfillment of the OT.
and B)We're NOT TALKING ABOUT WHEN IT SHOULD BE TAKEN, we talking about what it is.

What you think only a little of god isn't enough? It's Jesus, you don't have to have a FEAST, it's like a cologne, a little Jesus goes a Long way.

And yes it is still under the APPEARANCE of bread and wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or