U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,209,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
On the TV news, by the reporters who were there.
I think her question refers to the "forgotten Lincoln bible" part.

If not her question.. then thats my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,632,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I think her question refers to the "forgotten Lincoln bible" part.

If not her question.. then thats my question.

Yes...that is what I was referring to. The Lincoln Bible was the OT.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yes...that is what I was referring to. The Lincoln Bible was the OT.
Sorry. I read:
"BYW, there was a boo boo at the swearing in, and the Lincoln Bible was totally forgotten!"

and thought you implied Obama didn't use the Lincoln Bible. Its just the way the sentence was written.

Cheers.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM

13,574 posts, read 21,729,972 times
Quote:
My word...this thread has certainly got OT !
BYW, there was a boo boo at the swearing in, and the Lincoln Bible was totally forgotten!
Is this the boo-boo that you are referring to?

When Chief Justice John Roberts swore in Mr. Obama he left out the word "faithfully"that is in the "oath of office"..Obama repeated what the Chief Justice said, even though he clearly knew something was wrong with it..then the Chief justice corrected himself by repeating the whole oath, this time Obama was probably just thrown off by the omission and repeated the chief Justices first statement..Chief Justice Roberts then said a few words to President Obama and looked like he apologized for the mistake..I don't see anything wrong with this except a bit of inderstandable nervousness on both subjects" I never noticed any mishandling of the very old and valuable Lincoln Bible..

Old 01-21-2009, 11:57 AM

178 posts, read 349,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Amen.... it is all about respect!

This may sound silly but don't we obey the law when we drive our cars, if it says, 55mph does one not obey that law? It is not that one is bowing down to the one making that law, but obeying that law that God has appointed for our safety.
God expects us to obey the laws and pray for those He has appointed to govern the people.... has nothing to do with bowing down and worshiping those individuals who made the law.

OK now, if they establish the law and legalize abortion..... that means a Christian knows this law is wrong in the sight of God and therefore even if it is a law, that Christian is not to obey that law in their lives by doing it. That authority who passes such laws will be themselves in subjection to God for that.......not the Christian.

But say if a Christian does get an abortion ( I so hope not) they have compromise and not obeyed God. They have went along with those in opposition of God's law considering life and I would say they are placing those individuals authority above God's..... they are then obeying those in opposition to Gods known will.

That is what one is trying to project here. Because we are to respect the laws of the land, (only if they honor God).....which majority so far do.....

And we are to pray and respect the president of the United States of America, in doing this we are honoring and respecting God, and His choice in whom He has placed in authority of the people.....regardless if we like him or not!
God has appointed Obama as president....if that president does things in opposition of God, he and all who follow him are the one's who will answer God, not me or any other Christian....is how I see the Lord would have my life to follow!!!

Rom. 13:1-2
1. Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
2. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves
We obey the rules of the road so as not to injure others. The state punishes and demands money even when there is no injured party. Is this Godly?

A license is a contract. The contract states that you have given up your inherent God given rights and exchanged them for permission from the state to: get married, to move on the common ways, to fish, to preach, to work, etc. These are all rights to life given to us by God. Why would we trade them for permission from man?

The ONLY biblical role of government is to punish evildoers, and to reward and encourage those doers of good. Is this how you perceive your government? Do you think the government is obeying the commands of God? Or has the government added to its power against God's word and created a society which punishes its citizens for doing the duties commanded by God but without their permission? We have to realize the fraud perpetrated upon us.

We cannot obey contradicting commands. We have to choose which law we will follow. If we claim allegiance to Caesar and contract with the state via licenses, social security, citizenship, voter registration, etc. we are denying that God is our sovereign, because these contracts bind us to the state's rules, statutes, ordinances, codes, etc. If you challenge any law from the state while claiming to be a citizen or having a contract with them, you will be found in violation, arrested, charged, imprisoned and who knows what else. Study the law. The people "in charge", whom most seem to want to honor even if they are against God's Law, will tell you the same thing.

Whosoever you claim as your sovereign is who you will answer to.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Is this the boo-boo that you are referring to?

When Chief Justice John Roberts swore in Mr. Obama he left out the word "faithfully"that is in the "oath of office"..Obama repeated what the Chief Justice said, even though he clearly knew something was wrong with it..then the Chief justice corrected himself by repeating the whole oath, this time Obama was probably just thrown off by the omission and repeated the chief Justices first statement..Chief Justice Roberts then said a few words to President Obama and looked like he apologized for the mistake..I don't see anything wrong with this except a bit of inderstandable nervousness on both subjects" I never noticed any mishandling of the very old and valuable Lincoln Bible..

My goodness. I must speak a differant language ! I did not say there was a mishandling of the Lincoln Bible! Unless I was not watching closely enough, the Bible was not visible, nor a visible picture of his hand on it during the swearing in. If it was, and I failed to see it...my mistake! I was not trying to be contentious or derogatory about the foresight. I do think there was some nervousness on both sides. That is all I meant ! I was not being insulting or bad-mouthing anyone!
This OT was about the Lincoln Bible being used. That is all I was trying to do...get back to the OT!
If you all prefer the bickering that took the place of the OT...carry on.....

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM

just an fyi..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
just an fyi..
Thanks. I must have glanced away when that was aired.
That is what I get for trying to watch the TV and computering at the same time.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,150,741 times
Quote:
And we are to pray and respect the president of the United States of America, in doing this we are honoring and respecting God, and His choice in whom He has placed in authority of the people.....regardless if we like him or not!
God has appointed Obama as president....if that president does things in opposition of God, he and all who follow him are the one's who will answer God, not me or any other Christian....is how I see the Lord would have my life to follow!!!

Rom. 13:1-2
1. Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
2. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves

1Tim.2:1-7
Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

Titus 3:1-2
Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.

1Peter 2:13-17
13Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority,
14or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
15For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men.
16Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.
17 Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king.

I agree. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or