U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,580,825 times

Advertisements

Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him asked that He would show them a sign from heaven.
2 He answered and said to them, "When it is evening you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red";
3 "and in the morning, 'It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Hypocrites!! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times.
4 "A wicked and adulterous generation seek after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah." And He left them and departed. (Matt. 16:1-4)

What does the Pharisees and Sadducees have in common with today? Yeah, you got it, their doctrine:

They, back then, wanted to be seen by men, today, nothing different. A lot of you, like to "big" up yourselves!

They, wanted their glory then, some of you, want your "glory" now!

They, did as they please, today, some of you "do as you feel!" Whatever feels good, that is ( and there's no limit to what your mind's can conceive).

T
hey could'nt discern the times, and some of you, ain't no different! You want signs and wonders to tell you what "hour" we are living in. Can you not see? What did He call you? HYPOCRITES!! Do you not know the hour in which we are living?

And He left THEM.............................................. ...and departed.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 01-18-2009 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM

109 posts, read 187,575 times
Interesting. I just finished reading Pagan Christianity? by Frank Viola. In his book Frank shows how the participatory house church of the first century developed into the hierarchical church that exists today. He shows how the various aspects of the modern church have their roots in paganism.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,875,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
Interesting. I just finished reading Pagan Christianity? by Frank Viola. In his book Frank shows how the participatory house church of the first century developed into the hierarchical church that exists today. He shows how the various aspects of the modern church have their roots in paganism.
Thanks for your post shadow. Most don`t undertstand how the church has evolved and the church system and doctrines of today. They have just become ensnared in it...which is easy to do because it is taught on such a broad scale and branded as truth by most. Another thing that people don`t get about satan..they look for this hideous demon..the fact of the matter is,he does more to lead people astray by his appearance of light and mixing of truth with lies. What`s the saying....you can attract more flies with honey? `Come out of her my people.`

Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,469,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Thanks for your post shadow. Most don`t undertstand how the church has evolved and the church system and doctrines of today. They have just become ensnared in it...which is easy to do because it is taught on such a broad scale and branded as truth by most. Another thing that people don`t get about satan..they look for this hideous demon..the fact of the matter is,he does more to lead people astray by his appearance of light and mixing of truth with lies. What`s the saying....you can attract more flies with honey? `Come out of her my people.`
So be it! Awesome post!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,469,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
That book is next on my list to buy. Was it worth it to you?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,713,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
What church? in fact the problem is churches are not following correct doctrine.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,713,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him asked that He would show them a sign from heaven.
2 He answered and said to them, "When it is evening you say, 'It will be fair weather, for the sky is red";
3 "and in the morning, 'It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.' Hypocrites!! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times.
4 "A wicked and adulterous generation seek after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah." And He left them and departed. (Matt. 16:1-4)

What does the Pharisees and Sadducees have in common with today? Yeah, you got it, their doctrine:

They, back then, wanted to be seen by men, today, nothing different. A lot of you, like to "big" up yourselves!

They, wanted their glory then, some of you, want your "glory" now!

They, did as they please, today, some of you "do as you feel!" Whatever feels good, that is ( and there's no limit to what your mind's can conceive).

T
hey could'nt discern the times, and some of you, ain't no different! You want signs and wonders to tell you what "hour" we are living in. Can you not see? What did He call you? HYPOCRITES!! Do you not know the hour in which we are living?

And He left THEM.............................................. ...and departed.
I hear ya Betsy...many people forget or deliberately twist the Pharisses got away from God's word and were preaching false doctrine.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:17 PM

9,728 posts, read 3,534,217 times
I did a study sometime back on the writings of the first 300 years of the Church. I am convinced that if a christian from that time period saw the Church in America today he/she would say it is apostate.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,333,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I did a study sometime back on the writings of the first 300 years of the Church. I am convinced that if a christian from that time period saw the Church in America today he/she would say it is apostate.
What church in America would that be?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,899,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
What church in America would that be?
all of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity