U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,854,076 times

Advertisements

What exactly was Jesus speaking of here:

Matthew 7:6
"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you".

Your thoughts...?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,338,154 times
I've usually taken it to regard witnessing to unbelievers. We're told to spread the gospel to those who wish to hear. If they do not wish to hear, we are to shake the dust from our shoes and move along.

This verse in particular, again in my view, is that when we become persistent in trying to explain spiritual aspects to those who have hard hearts --- they that have already made up their minds they don't believe, don't want to believe and refuse to believe --- we are casting that which is holy to "the dogs" or "swine" who in reply twist everything said to them as ways to affirm in their mind they are right and we are wrong. They take that which is holy and use it against us to show percived errors, wrongdoings, falsehoods, etc. This action can affect a believer in a such a way so as to make a believer question his faith, his belief and even his salvation. Exposed to this sort of thing long enough, it could possibly make one turn from God, IMO.

This is what sometimes happens on forums such as this. No matter the rational, logical explanation provided by a believer, there are those non-believers who refuse to entertain such notions and twist everything around to "prove" they're right and we are wrong. This can be to the detriment of the faith as a whole or to a believer in particular.

So, do what we're told to do, say it once. If they're receptive, great. If they're not, move on and leave sleeping dogs lie.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,418,666 times
Question The Wolf and Dog

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you".

Your thoughts...?

Bud
The Wolf and Dog
Luke 10: 3 3Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.
Matthew 7: 15; 10: 16, 17 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
17But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;

John 10: 12 12But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
Acts 20: 28 – 3128Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
29For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
30Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.
31Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.
Philippians 3: 2Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Psalm 22: 16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Psalm 59: 6 They return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city.
Psalm 68: 23 That thy foot may be dipped in the blood of thine enemies, and the tongue of thy dogs in the same.
Matthew 7:6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Matthew 1526 It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.
Second Peter 2: 18For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.
19While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.
20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
First Samuel 24:13As saith the proverb of the ancients, Wickedness proceedeth from the wicked: but mine hand shall not be upon thee.
14After whom is the king of Israel come out? After whom dost thou pursue? after a dead dog, after a flea.
15The LORD therefore be judge, and judge between me and thee, and see, and plead my cause, and deliver me out of thine hand.
Deuteronomy 23:18Thou shalt not bring the hire of a *****, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,264,588 times
Well verses 1-5 counsel us not to be critical of others. But in contrast this verse tells us to be discerning persons.
Dog and swine represent the non-believing which also in scripture are called evil or wicked people, they are deserving of condemnation, and we have a responsibility under God to warn them of the consequences of their wayward actions...(Eze.3:19; Eph.4:15). But if they are yet unrepentant, further efforts to convince them of the sinfulness of their ways will result in no benefit. They are more likely to resent and attack those who pass judgment on their ungodly conduct.

Blessings

Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,893,950 times
Quote:

Your thoughts...?

Bud
Basically this. Take a good look at alot of the never ending battle threads on the same ol subject matter that continues to get regurgitated and rumenated over and over again and again. Some are absolutely so adamant on their position with regard to a specific subject matter such as Trinity - EastGate conspiracy - HellFire & Damnation - Tithing - Sabbath - Creationism Vrs Evolution - Preterism Vrs Rapture - etc - etc - etc , and nobody dares tell them anything different. If they feel that some specific thread does'nt run along the course of their personal slant on the philosophy, then they open up a new one hoping that only their buddies will attend. Of course if you research the history here, that just simply does not happen and the infighting, bickering, Mod deletions, bannings, etc just start all over again.

Now you all know why there are so many religious differences & religions in this world. Throughout our world's history even members claiming to be of the same major dogma often have fractionalized into different sects because someone had a vision or supernatural encounter with some god or spirit that inspired them differently and they just had the calling to start their own religion. I have many times given this link without response, but it really is a fascinating read on the history of most all major religious belief we see today. As some of the Atheist/Agnostic crowd have pointed out, the birth place of most present modern day religious ideas and thought originates from the land area of the Mesopotamia and has spread out from that central point to cover our globe. Almost ALL major religious modern day belief has it's origins from Babylon. Although Mr Alexander Hislop targets the Catholic Church in his book "The Two Babylons", it really can be said that most all modern religious ideas and thoughts today have their origins from this source, including much of the Atheist/Agnostic human philosophies.

The Two Babylons: Table of Contents

Bottomline is, if you feel that your personal belief (be it Christendom, Hindu, Islam, Buddhist, Atheist, Agnostic, etc) is the ONLY pure as the driven snow TRUTH , then leave the "Combat Threads" alone and go somewhere else. Why cast your pearls of truth on those that don't want it.

Guess we know that won't happen here!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,909,524 times
Quote:

Your thoughts...?

Bud
Yeah, don't hang out on forums where all the supposed Christians already know everything to know about God......after all, they have memorized the Bible......and if you offer them anything other than their own words back to them, they will attack and "rend" you.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,719,489 times
Quote:

Your thoughts...?

Bud
When sharing your faith, if you come across someone who is full of pride or just downright rude and nasty towards the gospel, you give them the Law but not grace. "Do not give the precious pearl to swine"

Law to the proud, grace to the humble.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,719,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Yeah, don't hang out on forums where all the supposed Christians already know everything to know about God......after all, they have memorized the Bible......and if you offer them anything other than their own words back to them, they will attack and "rend" you.
What does this mean then? how are we wrong in our interpretation? how did you come by your interpretation? and is your interpretation true?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,630,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
How do you determine that they do not know the Bible?

( I really doubt that the ones being spoken of in the OP 'knew the Bible'.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:19 AM

3,540 posts, read 6,082,049 times
Quote:

Your thoughts...?

Bud

I think it's important to remember when this was written, and what the enviornment was for Christians then.

You could be fed to lions if you shared your faith with the wrong person

For me today, it helps me when our Love is rejected and mocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or