U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 PM

28,219 posts, read 47,637,542 times

Advertisements

Vatican City (AHN) - The Vatican, the seat of the Roman Catholic Church, concluded a two-day conference which provided its followers a better understanding of the sacrament of Confession and encouraged more Catholics to avail themselves of it.

The conference, which was open to the public, was organized by the Apostolic Penitentiary, more known as the tribunal of conscience which was established by Pope Alexander III.

Vatican Holds 2-Day Conference To Encourage More Catholics To Confess | AHN | January 19, 2009 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7013734388 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 AM

777 posts, read 1,277,760 times
When I was a boy, confession was mandatory. We’d be lined up and have to go into the confessional.
I remember standing there and trying to come up with some “good sins”. Most of the time, I wasn’t a bad kid.

The other day I was talking with my brother about our experiences with Catholic upbringing.
He had the same problem, so we joked about making up sins (we didn’t actually make them up), but then having to confess doing that the next week.

“Bless me father… I made up three sins last week, because I couldn’t think of any.”

Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 AM

3,540 posts, read 6,083,383 times
It's been my experience,
that a humble and contrite confession is good for the soul.

And come to think of it, I'm overdue for one

Old 02-24-2010, 07:36 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,222,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
When I was a boy, confession was mandatory. We’d be lined up and have to go into the confessional.
I remember standing there and trying to come up with some “good sins”. Most of the time, I wasn’t a bad kid.

The other day I was talking with my brother about our experiences with Catholic upbringing.
He had the same problem, so we joked about making up sins (we didn’t actually make them up), but then having to confess doing that the next week.

“Bless me father… I made up three sins last week, because I couldn’t think of any.”
If you want to have a good laugh about growing up Catholic and attending Catholic School rent this movie

Heaven Help Us (1985)
Charles Purpura scribed this semi-autobiographical tale about his experiences in a Brooklyn Catholic school of 1965. The film focuses on several Catholic school boys who get into ever increasing amounts of trouble with the presiding priests of the Catholic school, St. Basil's. Andrew McCarthy plays Michael Dunn, a newly arrived student who latches onto the class egghead Caesar (Malcolm Danare), who is constantly picked on by the class bully Rooney (Kevin Dillon). Rooney intimidates Michael and Caesar to become his erstwhile chums and, along with a few other quiet students, they receive corporal punishment for minor infractions, disrupting communion and confession and, ultimately, their antics inspire changes in the strict school hierarchy. ~ Paul Brenner, All Movie Guide
Read More

Starring: Donald Sutherland, John Heard, (more)Director(s): Michael DinnerTheatrical MPAA Rating: RFormat(s): DVD, (View All Versions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or