U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 AM
 
4,439 posts, read 8,206,015 times
Reputation: 1468

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Your cheap shot about "normal" people then turn around and claim this only about the book......whateva

The Shack is heresy plain and simple. It has has low, disrespectful view of God.
1) The Bible is very clear: Dare not portray God in an image. It is impossible to make the Creator part of the creation. The Shack clearly does this.
How is it a cheap shot when you agreed with me??

See.. you even typed it out for all to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I am a Christian, "normal" is a worldly term.
I stand by what I said. It was a fun read. Most normal people take it for what it is.

If you can find some way to be closer to God though reading that book I think all the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
 
381 posts, read 683,840 times
Reputation: 161
you know fundamentalist, I can't help but think of what Paul said, "Let no man judge you...."

it was a story plain and simple about heartache. The author simply delved into some of the most basic doctrinal truths and requirements in order to be a diciple of Jesus Christ.
not in any order of prioirty!!!!!!
#1 forgiveness
2 trusting God
3 letting God love you
4 quit depending on self
5 learning to love
6 repentance

that's a start and if you spend your life in a room afraid to get out there with the sinners,reprobates,lost souls, and troubled people, then fundamentalist my friend in Jesus, you have reduced yourself to being disabled to share the good news of the gospel. Satan has you right where he wants...scared, tormented, and quick to indict anything. Bible technocrats can never, well, almost never be used by God.

You seem to be tormented by a simple book. That book was a fictional story and the author simply wove some basic truths into a story with a happy ending.

I tell you what.. have a shot of something and remember...You cannot keep the law..none of it. pick a sin.. you can't make it... that's what this story said to me.

Take heed Brother/sister...lest you fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
 
342 posts, read 468,518 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I am currently reading this book ......I am only half way thru it and so far....I am a bit turned off by it......Fundy.....can you explain some of the heresies in this book?.......It gives me a bit of a uneasy sense I also find it somewhat distasteful and irreverent....Thank you Vessif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,471,008 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
I am currently reading this book ......I am only half way thru it and so far....I am a bit turned off by it......Fundy.....can you explain some of the heresies in this book?.......It gives me a bit of a uneasy sense I also find it somewhat distasteful and irreverent....Thank you Vessif
Keep reading,,it gets better. Don't worry about what other people think,,especially those who are in the ministry and threatened by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
 
342 posts, read 468,518 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Keep reading,,it gets better. Don't worry about what other people think,,especially those who are in the ministry and threatened by it.
.....In reading this book I noticed 3 main heresies in it....namely1) that there are many ways to God......no one comes to the father except thru Jesus......2)The Bible says there WILL be a day of JUDGEMENT.......Jesus warns of HELL.......3) God is a god of love .......He is also a God of Justice.......fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.....I would descrbe this book as a " FEEL GOOD BOOK"......but it is like a clear glass of water with only a drop of poison....i.e. IT is NOT fit to drink......To all who will listen.....Don't be decieved ........Trust God's Word which is the BIBLE.....

Last edited by Vessif; 01-20-2009 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,471,008 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
.....In reading this book I noticed 3 main heresies in it....namely1) that there are many ways to God......no one comes to the father except thru Jesus......2)The Bible says there WILL be a day of JUDGEMENT.......Jesus warns of HELL.......3) God is a god of love .......He is also a God of Justice.......fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.....I would descrbe this book as a " FEEL GOOD BOOK"......but it is like a clear glass of water with only a drop of poison....i.e. IT is NOT fit to drink......To all who will listen.....Don't be decieved ........Trust God's Word which is the BIBLE.....

In reading this book, i learned how to put some really hurtful things behind me, and accept the Love of God, and the forgiveness for those sins. Yes, it was the death of a child, but by our choosing,,,abortion. I have lived with that pain, for 25 years. I could not, and would not forgive myself, nor the "mother" of our child. It was a bad mistake, a grave sin, and after reading this book, it put me at such a peace, it really is hard to describe.

So put the book down, call him a heritic, call it whatever the heck you want to. But know this for a fact. It HELPED me. And the help that was needed was immmense, and I thank William P. Young for this heartfelt story, written to HIS DAUGHTERS a a Christmas present. It was his journey, for fifteen years, and condensed into a weekend.


I have not met a single person, in real life, that read it, and was their faith was threatened in the least. In fact, it was strengthened..Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,571 posts, read 21,715,728 times
Reputation: 18115
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I have not met a single person, in real life, that read it, and was their faith was threatened in the least. In fact, it was strengthened..Amen!
God Bless you! I was very inspired by this book also and gave one to each of my girls..IMO many people would find so much peace by accepting the fact that God works through other people besides themselves and through other books besides the bible... He is God and can use any means he pleases to call us to him The author states that his book is fiction..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:29 PM
 
40,050 posts, read 26,730,521 times
Reputation: 6049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
.....In reading this book I noticed 3 main heresies in it....namely1) that there are many ways to God......no one comes to the father except thru Jesus......
I know you think you know what this means . . . that they must become a Christian in one of the many denominations available . . . preferably yours . . . but that is simply NOT true.
Quote:
2)The Bible says there WILL be a day of JUDGEMENT.......Jesus warns of HELL.......
There will be unpleasant consequences for failure to grow spiritually as Jesus teaches us to do . . . but there is no PUNISHMENT . . . only failure to mature properly as one of God's children.
Quote:
3) God is a god of love .......He is also a God of Justice.......fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.....
Beginning of wisdom because our primitive barbarian ancestors needed fear to motivate them beyond their animal urges . . . that's why it was the "beginning". We have evolved WAY beyond that now. Fear is wrong and completely inappropriate for our loving God. Love should be our motivation . . . fear is for animals.
Quote:
I would describe this book as a " FEEL GOOD BOOK"......but it is like a clear glass of water with only a drop of poison....i.e. IT is NOT fit to drink......To all who will listen.....Don't be decieved ........Trust God's Word which is the BIBLE.....
There is no poison. We should feel good about God's love for us. Don't be an animal and respond to the lessons of the bible as if we were still the barbaric animals our ancestors were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
4,213 posts, read 5,028,019 times
Reputation: 627
I dont know Mystic, if it says there is more than one way to God then it is heresy. I havent read the book, but from what I understand it is portraying Gods as a woman and the Holy Spirit as a woman and that would be further heresy considering we pray to the Father and not the mother. Then as I see you are still adding to the heresy by continuing to contribute our faiths authorship to some barbarians rather than out Lord and Savior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:07 PM
 
342 posts, read 468,518 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
In reading this book, i learned how to put some really hurtful things behind me, and accept the Love of God, and the forgiveness for those sins. Yes, it was the death of a child, but by our choosing,,,abortion. I have lived with that pain, for 25 years. I could not, and would not forgive myself, nor the "mother" of our child. It was a bad mistake, a grave sin, and after reading this book, it put me at such a peace, it really is hard to describe.

So put the book down, call him a heritic, call it whatever the heck you want to. But know this for a fact. It HELPED me. And the help that was needed was immmense, and I thank William P. Young for this heartfelt story, written to HIS DAUGHTERS a a Christmas present. It was his journey, for fifteen years, and condensed into a weekend.


I have not met a single person, in real life, that read it, and was their faith was threatened in the least. In fact, it was strengthened..Amen!
Many things in this world "help" people......BUT.....ONLY If we "repent" of our sins will GOD forgive us "God's Word assures us of this"..... , If we accept Jesus Christ as Saviour we will be saved.....But God's Word also talks about the JUDGEMENT of God.... "like it or not" there is a DAY OF JUDGEMENT......Jesus Christ was sent to pay that penalty......That's why we are told to follow Jesus and trust him for our salvation and forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top