U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM

40,043 posts, read 26,725,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I dont know Mystic, if it says there is more than one way to God then it is heresy.
Since there is only one way to God . . . ALL of us must use it . . . but there are many paths that can lead to that one way . . . mine for example went through Catholicism, atheism, Buddhism, and ultimately Jesus Christ. You see . . . if someone truly seeks the good and is sincere . . . Jesus finds them and motivates their soul . . . whether they realize it or not. Something Fundamentalists and literalists seem to have difficulty comprehending . . . they must not have faith that there IS only one way . . . otherwise they wouldn't be so concerned with how people get to God . . . it can ONLY be through that one way, right.
Quote:
I haven't read the book, but from what I understand it is portraying Gods as a woman and the Holy Spirit as a woman and that would be further heresy considering we pray to the Father and not the mother.
I can understand that your chauvinistic preference for the primitive cultural lack of respect for women reflected in the interpretations would find this fiction distasteful . . . but as a spirit . . . God has no gender and is unlikely to be offended . . . let alone consider it heresy to symbolically imbue God with maternal as well as paternal traits. Since we are in his image (male and female) it must be true that God has both. The emphasis on a human virgin as the mother of Jesus . . . while replacing the male with God himself . . .indicates that it is the male that was the problem . . . not the female . . . in producing the perfect human . . . Jesus. (Perhaps this is why the "sins of the father" are mentioned . . . but never the "sins of the mother" . . . hmmmm????) Besides . . . it is probably only in deference to humankind's need for such distinctions that they exist at all.
Quote:
Then as I see you are still adding to the heresy by continuing to contribute our faiths authorship to some barbarians rather than out Lord and Savior.
That they were barbarians is indisputable. That they were inspired by God is indisputable. That they recorded the inspirations as perfect dictation and understood it as one of us today would have is completely absurd on it face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 PM

342 posts, read 468,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I know you think you know what this means . . . that they must become a Christian in one of the many denominations available . . . preferably yours . . . but that is simply NOT true. There will be unpleasant consequences for failure to grow spiritually as Jesus teaches us to do . . . but there is no PUNISHMENT . . . only failure to mature properly as one of God's children. Beginning of wisdom because our primitive barbarian ancestors needed fear to motivate them beyond their animal urges . . . that's why it was the "beginning". We have evolved WAY beyond that now. Fear is wrong and completely inappropriate for our loving God. Love should be our motivation . . . fear is for animals. There is no poison. We should feel good about God's love for us. Don't be an animal and respond to the lessons of the bible as if we were still the barbaric animals our ancestors were.
Sorry but you are "sadly mistaken" be sure to pack your "sunburn ointment"...God is a God of love and we are currently in the age of GRACE; but there will be a day of reckoning, the second comming, THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT; Jesus spoke about it many times.......The wrath of God (which we deserve) was laid upon Jesus Christ at the Cross to pay the penaty for sin....and ONLY by the blood of Jesus can anyone be saved, this is why we need to REPENT of our sins and be covered by the rigtheous blood of Christ.......because NO MAN is righteous.....

Last edited by Vessif; 01-20-2009 at 08:58 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM

381 posts, read 683,775 times
I can see I'm going to have to dig the book out and point out the scripitures that are true and which Young employs.

Fundamentalist, i request you please list the page number and the sentence that speaks of all heresies.

However, as a fictional story, attacking the plot and vehicles the writer uses to let the Holy spirit interact as well as God the Father, and Jesus with the main character aren't justifiable reasons to call it heresy.

Lastly, would you argue that everyhting C.S. Lewis wrote was heresy?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,260,824 times
You know what bothers me to some of the replies to those that the Holy Spirit has spoken to a heart about reading or doing things that may not be good or beneficial for an individual to do.
That they scorn the individual in honoring and obeying the Lord in their choices.
Telling them they don't know what their talking about.....

That scares me! You know the Lord gave me a warning not to read it some time ago and during that time I just shared in that thread what the Lord had led me to, confirming His will in my life and I was so treated with contempt, that I was not strong enough in the Lord to read it (and that person has no idea about my walk in Him) and was told the minister's that had spoke out against it didn't know what they was talking about..... it was awful............

How can a people tell other's they're wrong in listening to the Lord in their heart. Even if it is just a book....the Lord tells us if we do something and feel it is wrong, we are not to do it and if we do it is sin....it is all about obedience unto the Lord regardless if the book is harmless..... that is not the point...

An individual has much more maturity that they turn away from what other's think and have been given the ability to discern the will of God in their life and that they don't have to follow the trend of other's and that they choose to listen to God!!!
........please listen to what you are saying to individuals, you actually telling them God doesn't know what He is talking about to them....

I really believe their are going to be many surprises for those who are so scornful to other's and telling them to go ahead and read it and not to be threaten by other's that are giving warnings.....Oh dear, that is scarey... when God has directly spoken to a heart or feeling uncomfortable not to do something and the reactions of those by telling them it is OK by them, not to listen to God.

We should be an encouragement showing compassion and understanding by helping that one in honoring the Father no matter what it is......even such as something as a book!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
You know what bothers me to some of the replies to those that the Holy Spirit has spoken to a heart about reading or doing things that may not be good or beneficial for an individual to do.
That they scorn the individual in honoring and obeying the Lord in their choices.
Telling them they don't know what their talking about.....
Actually this is not done by those who support the overall message in the book . . . it is done by rigid legalists and fundamentalists. I would NEVER tell anyone to ignore what God tells them in their heart . . . that is between the individual and God. That is why I always point out the ONLY test that makes any sense for us to use . . . "Does it lead you TO Jesus and God?" . . . if it DOES then it is right for YOU . . . but that does NOT mean you should presume to apply it to everyone else AS IF you were Jesus or God and KNOW what is in their heart.
Quote:
That scares me! You know the Lord gave me a warning not to read it some time ago and during that time I just shared in that thread what the Lord had led me to, confirming His will in my life and I was so treated with contempt, that I was not strong enough in the Lord to read it (and that person has no idea about my walk in Him) and was told the minister's that had spoke out against it didn't know what they was talking about..... it was awful............
I didn't read that thread . . . but if that happened to you it was wrong . . . as long as you were ONLY sharing YOUR feelings about it as God spoke to you. If you tried to suggest that it was absolutely the right thing to do for ANYONE ELSE . . . then YOU were wrong. God speaks to each of us according to OUR needs . . . which none of us has any knowledge of.
Quote:
How can a people tell other's they're wrong in listening to the Lord in their heart.
They can't and they shouldn't . . . just share what they understand from the Lord in their heart.
Quote:
An individual has much more maturity that they turn away from what other's think and have been given the ability to discern the will of God in their life and that they don't have to follow the trend of other's and that they choose to listen to God!!!
Amen.
Quote:
I really believe their are going to be many surprises for those who are so scornful to other's and telling them to go ahead and read it and not to be threaten by other's that are giving warnings.....Oh dear, that is scarey... when God has directly spoken to a heart or feeling uncomfortable not to do something and the reactions of those by telling them it is OK by them, not to listen to God.
You only see YOUR side of this issue. God spoke to YOU . . . God did not give you permission to do anything except witness to your understanding of what God said YOU should do or not do. EVERYONE ELSE has to listen to God in their heart because they would be (to use your words) disobedient if they just took YOUR word for it and disobeyed God in their heart . . . isn't that what you just said?
Quote:
We should be an encouragement showing compassion and understanding by helping that one in honoring the Father no matter what it is......even such as something as a book!!
Amen.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Actually this is not done by those who support the overall message in the book . . . it is done by rigid legalists and fundamentalists. I would NEVER tell anyone to ignore what God tells them in their heart . . . that is between the individual and God. That is why I always point out the ONLY test that makes any sense for us to use . . . "Does it lead you TO Jesus and God?" . . . if it DOES then it is right for YOU . . . but that does NOT mean you should presume to apply it to everyone else AS IF you were Jesus or God and KNOW what is in their heart.
Did I say everyone, I believe the words used were some and person which doesn't indicate everyone.......and I didn't claim to be Jesus or God!

Quote:
I didn't read that thread . . . but if that happened to you it was wrong . . . as long as you were ONLY sharing YOUR feelings about it as God spoke to you. If you tried to suggest that it was absolutely the right thing to do for ANYONE ELSE . . . then YOU were wrong. God speaks to each of us according to OUR needs . . . which none of us has any knowledge of.
Yes, very wrong to do!!!
And no, I didn't and your right to the last sentence of your statement......

Quote:
as long as you were ONLY sharing YOUR feelings about it as God spoke to you. If you tried to suggest that it was absolutely the right thing to do for ANYONE ELSE . . . then YOU were wrong. God speaks to each of us according to OUR needs . . . which none of us has any knowledge of.
NO, I didn't

Quote:
They can't and they shouldn't . . . just share what they understand from the Lord in their heart. Amen. You only see YOUR side of this issue. God spoke to YOU . . . God did not give you permission to do anything except witness to your understanding of what God said YOU should do or not do.
Yep, that is what I did!!

Quote:
EVERYONE ELSE has to listen to God in their heart because they would be (to use your words) disobedient if they just took YOUR word for it and disobeyed God in their heart . . . isn't that what you just said?Amen
No that isn't what I said.....

Quote:
How can a people tell other's they're wrong in listening to the Lord in their heart. Even if it is just a book....the Lord tells us if we do something and feel it is wrong, we are not to do it and if we do it is sin....it is all about obedience unto the Lord regardless if the book is harmless..... that is not the point...
And
James 4:17
Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 01-21-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 AM

[quote=curlythecosmo;7099829]
Quote:
No that isn't what I said.....
Then you need to learn that what God reveals to YOU is for YOU . . . you cannot ASSUME that it is ABSOLUTELY the right thing for ANYONE else just because it is the right thing FOR YOU. You can tell them what God revealed to you . . . the rest is between God and each individual. You might end up being surprised about the results of such prophesying in Jesus' name ("Depart from me . . .") Let Jesus and the holy spirit speak to each of us.

Quote:
I really believe there are going to be many surprises for those who are so scornful to other's and telling them to NOT go ahead and read it and to be threatened by other's that are giving warnings.....Oh dear, that is scarey... when God has NOT directly spoken to a heart or made them feel uncomfortable to do something and the reactions of those by telling them it is NOT OK by them, to listen to others NOT to listen to God within themselves.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

[quote=MysticPhD;7100185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Then you need to learn that what God reveals to YOU is for YOU . . . you cannot ASSUME that it is ABSOLUTELY the right thing for ANYONE else just because it is the right thing FOR YOU. You can tell them what God revealed to you . . . the rest is between God and each individual. You might end up being surprised about the results of such prophesying in Jesus' name ("Depart from me . . .") Let Jesus and the holy spirit speak to each of us.
Didn't say or assume what God said to me was the ABSOLUTE truth for another!!! Those are your words!!

And He will lead His children in agreement together as one in Him according to His word. Praise God!!! Because they know His voice.

And I do know ....Ps.16:11 You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
I don't have to worry about the words....("Depart from me . . .") I know in whom I have believed....and His promise!!!

All believers in Christ Jesus desire and honor to be obedient to the leading and teaching of God word through the power of His Holy Spirit!!! Not the words of man.....Amen!!

This is my words.....
Quote:

These are your words twisting and adding to my post....
Quote:
I really believe there are going to be many surprises for those who are so scornful to other's and telling them to NOT go ahead and read it and to be threatened by other's that are giving warnings.....Oh dear, that is scarey... when God has NOT directly spoken to a heart or made them feel uncomfortable to do something and the reactions of those by telling them it is NOT OK by them, to listen to others NOT to listen to God within themselves.

Blessings

Blessings

Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 AM

[quote=curlythecosmo;7100744]
Quote:

Didn't say or assume what God said to me was the ABSOLUTE truth for another!!! Those are your words!!

And He will lead His children in agreement together as one in Him according to His word. Praise God!!! Because they know His voice.

And I do know ....Ps.16:11 You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
I don't have to worry about the words....("Depart from me . . .") I know in whom I have believed....and His promise!!!

All believers in Christ Jesus desire and honor to be obedient to the leading and teaching of God word through the power of His Holy Spirit!!! Not the words of man.....Amen!!

Blessings
I understand . . . the point of my "twisting" was to show you that people are in jeopardy with EITHER (your version or mine) if they present it as if it was from God . . . just because THEY feel it was.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 AM

342 posts, read 468,483 times
The Shack paints it own "politically correct" picture of the trinity and the nature of God..........this is why "many will be deceived" in these end times....."Like it or not" Jesus Christ comes the second time not as a humble infant or a middle eastern guy in a plaid shirt; but as the Lion......He comes to separate the chaff from the wheat.....READ YOUR BIBLE>>>>>>>>.Salvation will ONLY be attainable to those who REPENT of sin and trust in Christ's atoning sacrifice and who OBEY Him.....God is not some "old lady or father christmas figure"......God sent his son to save Man thru the blood of his only begotten son Jesus Christ who bled and died on the Cross......the "punishment" for man's sin was laid on Jesus Christ who died a slow agonizing death, forsaken by God himself......So that man would be saved, He did this out of Love for man........No man will be saved because he is sincere or a "good person".......Jesus HIMSELF is the way the truth and the LIFE, not the "idea" of Christ or the "ideals" of Christ......Don't Be Deceived....God is not mocked. Fear of the Lord is the beginninig of WISDOM.....Jesus told us to fear God who can destroy both body and soul in Hell....(do not fear the critcism of men they can only destroy your body)......for those who humbly confess their sins and trust in Jesus Alone for their salvation, they will be saved READ ACTS 4:12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity