Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:09 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
In actuality it depends on your walk with Christ, how far you are on His path as to whether a book may be able to draw you away. If you are still feeding on milk a fictional book could draw you away from the truth. But if you are feasting on the meat then you can see God in such a book but you will also see the heresy and reject it. Then there are those who feast on the meat but are struggling in a certain area and such a book could increase your doubts, return you to the milk and destroy your faith. We must be cautious because the devil is like a roaring lion seeking those he may devour. I understand that once you are Gods, no one can remove you from His grasp, but if your faith is weak doubts can destroy you.

I have a very diverse library at my house as well as an assortment of DVDs that could destroy the faith of a weak Christian. I automatically look for the workings of God no matter the movie or book, but I do know some who can be harmed or even destroyed if exposed to such things. It is the temptation to one of your strongholds that can destroy the progress you make in your walk and if you are to continue your walk rather than put on hold or reversed then yu must look for God in all and reject the heresies that may be hidden amongst the truth.

Remember satan can come to us as an angel of light and we must filter out the lies with the truth of Gods Word.
What is a "weak" Christian? Define it please? Better yet, define a strong one. I watched as the most powerful of men in the evangelical movement fell like flies on bug zapper. We are all weak to a varying degree. reading a book, like this, doesn't make one turn from that belief in Christ, if it was there to begin with. Nor does it turn off non Christians from seeking God. It actually is a great TOOL to bring people to God, although it EXPOSES religion for what it is,,,MAN MADE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 PM

342 posts, read 540,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Again, this speaks to the religion, and not from the purest heart, out of Love. You say to submit to Jesus, but how far does this go? Do YOU submit to Jesus as King, or just use Him as your lamb, slaughtered for your sin. Man was already out of God's presence, hense the banishment from and out of Eden. Call it hell if you will.

I agree, repentance is the purest form of Love we have for God. It tells God and even the world, that we are seperate from darkness, and walking into the Light of God's Presence.

But you will never see me walking about with the Word, alone, telling other folks that the ONLY Way to God, is to follow a list of doctrines set forth from any religion, using it like a baseball bat against the head. People MUST come to God as God draws them near. I believe God can use a book like this, to do just that. I have seen it, and even here, you have read it.

Facts are facts. To deny this, is to deny even God. How do you know that it wasn't inspired from the Spirit to write this? You can test them, of course, against other scriptures, but remember, this is a work of fiction. It IS NOT scripture. It is a wonderfully written story, about pain, forgiveness, and God's Love and purpose of humanity, including his only begotten Son.

And by the way, who here even knows the "meat" of the Gospel? I would challenge anyone to show me, as this is given only through the revealing of Jesus to them. The meat is in the mysteries, and the mysteries are just that. It is the complete woven tapestry of God's Creaton, from beginning to end, and from the end to the beginning. As beautiful as it is, it is remarkably complex, even to the most distiguished of Christian minds today.

So, bottom line is this. Who are we to say what and how God might use a person like William P Young? Who are we to say how He would use you? Or me? We live out our lives, placing one foot in front of the other. Are we on the right path, the path that Jesus laid out, or are we but stumbling blocks to others trying to find the path?
Already your comments are demonstrating the problem with the shack which was explained in earlier posts:That some are putting this book or their feelings on equal footing with the Word of God which is the Bible; the shack has truth and has fallacy mixed in,so therefore spiritual discernment is required to understand what is being said.....which YOU seem to lack......I have tried to explain, but you label me as a non- loving legalist and preaching religion......well you are entitled to your opinion of me but given the choice of trusting The Shack or The Bible concerning the nature of God and his love for mankind......I Choose the BIBLE........THE TRUTH.....God's Word ......E-nuff said.......Read post#30......this is God's Word on the subject not religion's.... not mine

Last edited by Vessif; 01-22-2009 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
Already your comments are demonstrating the problem with the shack which was explained in earlier posts:That some are putting this book or their feelings on equal footing with the Word of God which is the Bible; the shack has truth and has fallacy mixed in,so therefore spiritual discernment is required to understand what is being said.....which YOU seem to lack......I have tried to explain, but you label me as a non- loving legalist and preaching religion......well you are entitled to your opinion of me but given the choice of trusting The Shack or The Bible concerning the nature of God and his love for mankind......I Choose the BIBLE........THE TRUTH.....God's Word ......E-nuff said.......Read post#30......this is God's Word on the subject not religion's.... not mine

Maybe not "non-loving", but maybe just wrong loving..at least it is still loving.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
It is fictional but the writer ,Young, has deeply woven countless scriptures and used literary skills to deepen our understanding of His love .

Also, I have a better undertsanding of what trusting God is all about.

it is a quick read, leaves you blessed. Peace to all of you.
Somethings wrong with the bible? Read the bible, period. Nothings better. NOTHING!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Somethings wrong with the bible? Read the bible, period. Nothings better. NOTHING!
This is coming from the poster of all sorts of links, tying them to the end of the world? Why would not reading about the love of God being a great thing, instead of the supposed anti-Christ coming to enslave mankind?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Our security is in Christ alone.....We should be clear about that....we who know the truth must speak out when a book (even if it is only fiction)creates a one sided view of the nature of God.......As I said before God gave His son....because man was headed to Hell without Jesus.....the fact is that God punishes sin.....only those who have repented of sin and accept and submit(obey) to Jesus Christ as Saviour will escape the "just" judgement of God.......this is foundational to Christian Faith.....to suggest anything else is deception even if it is a "lovely sweet deception"
Nonsense. God does not punish and fear is the motivator for animals and spiritually unevolved humans . . . love is the motivator for spiritually mature humans.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 AM

342 posts, read 540,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Nonsense. God does not punish and fear is the motivator for animals and spiritually unevolved humans . . . love is the motivator for spiritually mature humans.
Sorry but you are "dead wrong".....God will Judge at the end of the world..... He will come in POWER and GLORY to judge the living and the dead.........He will separate the sheep from the goats......you think too highy of " modern evolved man".....man sins now as much as ever.....And sin which is not repented of and covered by the blood of Jesus will be punished........Do you believe in Heaven? good.....There is also a place called Hell......God has given us all fair warning and has given us a way out of this dilemma thru His son Jesus Christ......In his mercy He has taken on our punishment for all who will humble themselves and repent of sin.... accepting the atonement of Jesus. The choice is ours.....

Old 01-23-2009, 10:27 AM

381 posts, read 798,812 times
Betsey lane,

there is nothing wrong with reading a christian work of fiction. BBN aires a 15 audio book every morning. you're about to suggest censrship.

when I started this thread, i had just finished the book and thought it was good read. with the strory being about a man who lost a daughter, I could say unequivocally that many in this world may have the same struggle.

Now, the legalists have come out of the woodwork. sure, i read my bible but the stones ya'll hurl is amazing, simply amazing. once again, i do not suggest this book is an alternative view of god's Kingdom.

I even put up a page with a contemporary reference to romans 8:28.

But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!, you don't want to hear that!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Sorry but you are "dead wrong".....God will Judge at the end of the world..... He will come in POWER and GLORY to judge the living and the dead.........He will separate the sheep from the goats......you think too highy of " modern evolved man".....man sins now as much as ever.....And sin which is not repented of and covered by the blood of Jesus will be punished........Do you believe in Heaven? good.....There is also a place called Hell......God has given us all fair warning and has given us a way out of this dilemma thru His son Jesus Christ......In his mercy He has taken on our punishment for all who will humble themselves and repent of sin.... accepting the atonement of Jesus. The choice is ours.....
If fear of God and punishment makes you a good Christian struggling to live a Christ-like life . . . more power to you. If it just makes you think everything is fine as long as you have expressed this belief in Jesus and that you are now somehow anointed with magic protection from living a failed life . . . good luck with that.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:28 PM

381 posts, read 798,812 times
my bible says we will appear before the judgement seat, but i intend to be caught up in the air after the dead who rise first, and we shall meet him in the clouds.

"All whom the father has given me are mine and no one can snatch them out of my hands. " said Jesus

We're forgiven ,Vessif, and God is no longer angry at us. Jesus has satisfied the payment.

I am once saved, always saved and read Hebrwews 10:26.

i won't make a mockery of the cross... I'm in ... thank you Jesus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity