U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,723,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
If anyone loves mother, father, sister , brother, son, or daughter, more than Me, He is not worthty of me.

The church is the body of Christ. The body is expected to come together, in fellowship with one another, and with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 AM

13,574 posts, read 21,729,972 times
The church is not ordered to meet in a building..it is where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name..How do we know if the Thirstys don't set aside some time together in the Lord? Is it our business to question it? They are christians...

Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 24 days ago)

2,420 posts, read 4,319,078 times
Donald G. Miller states: “No particular structure of church life is divinely ordained.”

Any form … which the Holy Spirit can inhabit and to which He may impart the life of Christ, must be accepted as valid for the church. As all forms of life adapt themselves to their environment, so does the Life of Christ by His Spirit in the church.

The Church is a living organism not an organization... so we are exhorted to come together as a body.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,632,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The church is not ordered to meet in a building..it is where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name..How do we know if the Thirstys don't set aside some time together in the Lord? Is it our business to question it? They are christians...
The scripture about two or three coming together is speaking about discipline, not about the assembly of the saints.
Matthew 18:15 through 20. 20 is the only verse in that discourse by Jesus that is quoted, unfortunately.
It is one of the most misused verses in the bible!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 AM

9,728 posts, read 3,537,816 times
Quote:

Only Jesus can judge who is a Christian and who is not.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 AM

13,574 posts, read 21,729,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Only Jesus can judge who is a Christian and who is not.
Sandgirl, you seem to be misundrstanding every post of mine this morning..I was not making a judgement on the Thirstys..I was just saying they are christian, the same way I would say you are christan, my friend, because you , me, they, believe in Christ and strive to follow his teachings..I hope this explains

Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 AM

9,728 posts, read 3,537,816 times
Quote:
Sandgirl, you seem to be misundrstanding every post of mine this morning..I was not making a judgement on the Thirstys..I was just saying they are christian, the same way I would say you are christan, my friend, because you , me, they, believe in Christ and strive to follow his teachings..I hope this explains

No Miss Blue, I did not misunderstand. My point is, only Jesus can judge who is and who is not a Christian. When humans say it, we are making assumptions because we cannot see a person's heart. Only Jesus can do that.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:03 PM

178 posts, read 349,430 times
Quote:
The scripture about two or three coming together is speaking about discipline, not about the assembly of the saints.
Matthew 18:15 through 20. 20 is the only verse in that discourse by Jesus that is quoted, unfortunately.
It is one of the most misused verses in the bible!
Under the New Testament and Christ's Lawful Assembly...

There is no evidence in scripture to support that worship is to be a ceremonial act in a specific place.

There is no evidence in scripture to support that the "church" should incorporate and allow the state to be its sovereign.

There is no evidence in scripture to support the manner in which church "services" are done today, a monologue in front of an audience with no interaction and/or dialogue. (The Greek word for "preach" in Acts 20:7,9 is word #1256, dialegomai: it's a "dialogue" not a "monologue." Dialegomai means "to converse, discourse with one, argue, discuss". )

There is no evidence in scripture to support that a building or temple made with hands in where bondservants of Christ are to assemble and worship.

There is no evidence in scripture to support that only those who have completed seminary school can lead others. We are all fellow priests and preachers in Christ.

There is no evidence in scripture to support that sunday is the day we "go to church".

There is no evidence in scripture to support that fellowship should be accomplished in pews looking at the back at someone's head as the "priestly" philosopher recites a prepared speech after you have paid him.

There is no evidence in scripture to support that the church requires permission from the state to assemble and worship. The Church of Christ Jesus is IMMUNE not exempt from Caesars taxes, there's a difference.

Ask youself if the "church" you attend follows the Law put forth by the only authority we are to acknowledge. The Law of our Father in Heaven and Christ Jesus.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,632,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
Under the New Testament and Christ's Lawful Assembly...

Ask youself if the "church" you attend follows the Law put forth by the only authority we are to acknowledge. The Law of our Father in Heaven and Christ Jesus.

I started to post all that you posted, but realized that only the last paragraph fits the church.
I have no idea who all of the rest of your post refers to.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 PM

178 posts, read 349,430 times
Quote:
I started to post all that you posted, but realized that only the last paragraph fits the church.
I have no idea who all of the rest of your post refers to.
The post refers to all who believe in the modern "church" in the form it exists today.

For those who believe that people should... attend "church" on sunday, assemble in a specific building, pay the fee prior to hearing the "sermon", have no dialogue with the pastor during his talk, incorporate with the state to run a "non-profit" business, etc., I say there is no scriptual support for this belief.

I don't say one cannot be blessed in some way while at "church", God has no incumberances, however to state "this is the true manner in which God commanded us to assemble and worship" is unbiblical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity