U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM

3,570 posts, read 7,939,024 times

Advertisements

Okay....this was not what I anticipated when starting this thread, but they always go in many different directions. I was only stating that it's sad the more people don't take the time to worship God. I'm not talking about the size of a building, passing the collection plate or whether we should meet in a building, a hut or an outhouse! God will hear us anywhere and everywhere. We attend church to come together with like-minded people so as to encourage and lift one another up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
hey iam a student at ben davis in indiana and this messege got to me an d i know what u mean about people leaving the church right after its over eaven though its the best time ti be t church is when every one is talking abot the servis and howd they like it becouse u get to see how many people realy have a passsione thing for God and the one that just goto clear there gilt but not all leave right oway becouse they ne to bu cuz they have haveto and i understand but i dose make u wonder haw many people realy go to church just to clear there gilt of what theydid and go out to a party the night before

Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM

178 posts, read 349,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Okay....this was not what I anticipated when starting this thread, but they always go in many different directions. I was only stating that it's sad the more people don't take the time to worship God. I'm not talking about the size of a building, passing the collection plate or whether we should meet in a building, a hut or an outhouse! God will hear us anywhere and everywhere. We attend church to come together with like-minded people so as to encourage and lift one another up.
I contend that the Almighty God of Abraham does not hear those who choose to worship in a "church" that has declared, through 501c(3) registration, that the STATE is their sovereign god. The evidence is that in some places, the Word of God is and will be considered "hate speech".

Hosea 4

6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Seek the knowledge of truth as your solemn prayer to our Creator no matter what is revealed or what longheld beliefs you hold dear.

The truth shall set you free.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,270,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I agree. My belief is God isn`t in most modern churches... because what they teach isn`t scriptural. The church lives and acts in the physical...God is in the spiritual. The people are nice and mean well. It`s the church system and their teachings that are wrong. As usual..just my opinion. `Come out of her my people`
Amen and pass the Cheetos!!! That is why I no longer go to a building called a church anymore!!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
If anyone loves mother, father, sister , brother, son, or daughter, more than Me, He is not worthty of me.

The church is the body of Christ. The body is expected to come together, in fellowship with one another, and with God.
But....nowhere does it say that has to occur in a building called a church...keep that in mind.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:21 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,636,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
But....nowhere does it say that has to occur in a building called a church...keep that in mind.
The building where we meet is not called "a church". You may call it that, but we do not, and neither does the scriptures! Perhaps you need to "keep that in mind" !

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
What you don't realize Hoosier is that more people are doing this...they are just not doing it in a building called a church and only on Sunday. More and more people are leaving "organized churchianity" in droves for a reason...could it be that what they are seeing, hearing and learning is unscriptural? 9 times out of 10....this is the reason they leave....it is the reason I left.

I have more edifying and encouraging fellowship with believer now than I ever have spending time in a building called a church and I do it all the time, not just on Sunday.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
The building where we meet is not called "a church". You may call it that, but we do not, and neither does the scriptures! Perhaps you need to "keep that in mind" !
Then what, praytell, do you call it?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM

696 posts, read 784,383 times
I understand the authors point. I also understand the people who use the scripture where two or three gather. I personally go to church as I have found a man who is so devoted to God I was surprised he even existed. It is a two fold problem. One the church is nearing a state of apostasy unlike any other. Many churchs tend to exhault man, themselves, or other things instead of the idea of the depravity of man and sin. Most people wont accept that anymore as they falsely believe they are innocent until proven guilty. It is never more evident then in the U.S. where one confuses democracy with religon.

Second the doctrine of where two or three gather there will I be is not so much a justification for not attending church as it is a hope for those who cant engage in the fellowship of one. Those persecuted and in jail for being Christian would be a good example or even those who hold a church in thier basement because of persecution. It was never intended to be justification to not attend church. If more truely went to church our world would not be in such a deplorable state.

I read one time that a missionary to China once asked a Christian pastor there who held service in a basement what the pastor wanted the missionary to pray for. The pastor replied that he hoped our concept of church not become like in America. He didnt want the democracy and the debates over what justifies ones actions over anothers to overcome the idea of going to church. His members focused on the eternal more than the present or thier finite future on earth.

Oh if more people could find and would attend a church, but this is not to be. It is only in Eternity will the Church truely find its place.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:32 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,636,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Then what, praytell, do you call it?
We call it the church building. It is the building the church meets in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity