Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

I wondered if God was at church this past Sunday because I couldn't find a parking space! It wasn't Christmas and it wasn't Easter so why was the parking lot jammed with cars? Did God come and everyone found out He was there?

Well, my son and I walked in the front doors and saw more people milling around than we're used to. Vibrant colored clothing adorned African women and the praise band was in full force. I quickly noticed all of the booths to the sides of the entryway. The red clothed booths encouraged congregants to consider missions! Ah, that was it...it had to be a special event at church for so many people to attend.

We couldn't find a seat in the sanctuary so we went into the coffee shop for a donut and coffee and listen to the service. When the special speaker got up to speak we tried to find an open seat...of course the second row had a few seats so we quickly and quietly walked down.

The service was amazing and we were definitely encouraged by this woman's testimony. God had really used her during her 75 years. We took our time getting out of church, stopping to say hi to friends. By the time I got out the front doors the parking lot was back to usual, nearly empty.

I find it sad that the church pews are so empty. I'm sad that it takes Christmas, Easter, Missions conferences to bring people to church. What about the everyday worship? Why don't more people attend church regularly?

What would happen if people realized that God was at church? Would the parking lot be full?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
I am confused, is service over? Are you saying, that people leave church too early? Is that what makes you sad?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I am confused, is service over? Are you saying, that people leave church too early? Is that what makes you sad?
Yeah I see what you're saying. I fixed it so hopefully it makes sense now.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Yeah I see what you're saying. I fixed it so hopefully it makes sense now.
I agree. It is sad to see so many empty churches. Many churches that are packed don't get nearly the quality of gospel you do in your church I would imagine. I trust you pray for your pastor becuase he probably notices it too. Pray he keeps to the word and don't give in to pressure by abandoning the true gospel tickling ears to grow his church.

God Bless.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM

178 posts, read 404,082 times
What is "church"?

Is it what the scriptures tell us, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matt 18:20

or

Is it the temple building made from hands where the "pastor" or "preacher" went seeking "permission" from the government to start a "non-profit" business so as to receive the "benefits" and "priviledges" of tax-free status from the fiction in law known as the "US Government" in the form of a 501(c)3 organization?

"Church", as most people know it today is so far removed from what Jesus taught that it is astounding.

Moderator cut: edit due to copyright

Last edited by june 7th; 01-19-2009 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: copyright violation against the Terms of Service.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why don't more people attend church regularly?
Lots of reasons. I don't feel bad for missing church.

I go to work at 7:15 and generally get home at 6:00. I see my child for 5 minutes in the morning and for about an hour at night.

Not going to work on Sunday gives me more time with her. I'm sure God understands that I'd like to be present in her life.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Lots of reasons. I don't feel bad for missing church.

I go to work at 7:15 and generally get home at 6:00. I see my child for 5 minutes in the morning and for about an hour at night.

Not going to work on Sunday gives me more time with her. I'm sure God understands that I'd like to be present in her life.
Besides, when God is in your life, why do you have to attend a church to spend time with Him? In fact, the ONLY time God is in church is when people who have Him in their lives bring Him with them.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Besides, when God is in your life, why do you have to attend a church to spend time with Him? In fact, the ONLY time God is in church is when people who have Him in their lives bring Him with them.
I agree. My belief is God isn`t in most modern churches... because what they teach isn`t scriptural. The church lives and acts in the physical...God is in the spiritual. The people are nice and mean well. It`s the church system and their teachings that are wrong. As usual..just my opinion. `Come out of her my people`

Old 01-20-2009, 05:26 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

I see my child for 5 minutes in the morning and for about an hour at night.

Sunday gives me more time with her. I'm sure God understands that I'd like to be present in her life.

If that's not one of the better "definitions" of what "church" is that June has read on this forum, then she can't imagine what it could or should be. (Not that she would know, mind you.) -But there is something to be said about spending time with "God the Father" in a building with hundreds of others, as opposed to being the father to the one who is most precious, and no doubt a true gift from that God...

If church is meant to be a vehicle for worship and praise, what could possibly facillitate that more than a day devoted to the one in whose eyes you see the most glorious apsect of love in yours and God's creation? -And in whom -in your eyes- she feels the love of the world conveyed to her, in knowing that she is the one for whom the sun rises and sets in your life?

If that isn't "worship" then June can't fathom what else is could be...

Take gentle care.

For Toddler T and her Dad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoEQREKFQG4

Last edited by june 7th; 01-20-2009 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
If anyone loves mother, father, sister , brother, son, or daughter, more than Me, He is not worthty of me.

The church is the body of Christ. The body is expected to come together, in fellowship with one another, and with God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity