U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Status: "The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile" (set 21 days ago)

2,420 posts, read 4,315,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTYossarian View Post
Some time ago, when I used to read much more voraciously than I do now,
I realized that for Christians "The Number of the Beast" is either "666" OR
"616" for the Eastern/Greek Orthodox. There are ENDLESS dissertations on what this number stands for, and who it represents. My own speculation is that it refers to the Roman Emperor TRAJAN, of Spanish birth. The word
"Triyun" (phonetically) in Hebrew means "Little Beast". Trajan was an emperor in the 2nd century A.D. and much of the New Testament was written during that time. Also, the value of "Triyun" in Hebrew numerology corresponds to "666".

NOW. For what is really driving me crazy. Some time ago, I read somewhere, IN A SERIOUS WORK, and I believe it was something dealing with Jewish mysticism, or Christian or Jewish Gnosticism- (don't ask me which, it has been about 12 years!) - that "the number of the beast is four times four". I jotted it down but I neglected to cite the source!

I have Googled this extensively and keep coming up with all kinds of extraneous stuff. I have posed the questions to Rabbis and none can give me a source or can recollect hearing it. I know I did not just dream this up. If there are any serious students/scholars out there, or even amateurs, who know where that "four times four" thing comes from, would you please let me know? sleepyhollowichabodcrane@gmail.com

Thank you and Numbers 6:24-26 CPT Yossarian
It's possible that you remembered chapter and verse? This is what I found to be closest to 4x4

The "god of this age" would be satan.... or a demon or any demonic helper (kinda like an anti-holy spirit)

2 Corinthians 4:4
Context
NET
among whom the god of this age has blinded the minds of those who do not believe so they would not see the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God.

NIV

biblegateway 2Co 4:4
The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

NASB

in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

NLT

Satan, the god of this evil world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe, so they are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News that is shining upon them. They don’t understand the message we preach about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

MSG

All they have eyes for is the fashionable god of darkness. They think he can give them what they want, and that they won't have to bother believing a Truth they can't see. They're stone-blind to the dayspring brightness of the Message that shines with Christ, who gives us the best picture of God we'll ever get.

BBE

SABDAweb 2Co 4:4
Because the god of this world has made blind the minds of those who have not faith, so that the light of the good news of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, might not be shining on them.

NRSV

bibleoremus2Co 4:4
In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

NKJV

whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 01-22-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:39 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,423,150 times
...WOW!! Thanks Dave_n_Tenn...this is amazing !!!...Love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or