U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,713,362 times

Advertisements

Rick Warren's ending of Inaugural prayer:

We now commit our new president and his wife, Michelle and his daughters, Malia and Sasha, into your loving care.
I humbly ask this in the name of the one who changed my life, Yeshua, Isa, Jesus [Spanish pronunciation], Jesus, who taught us to pray:"

Franklin Graham's ending of Inaugural prayer:

"Now, O Lord, we dedicate this presidential inaugural ceremony to You. May this be the beginning of a new dawn for America as we humble ourselves before You and acknowledge You alone as our Lord, our Savior and our Redeemer. We pray this in the name of the Father, and of the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:05 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,460,910 times
More or less the same to me. I don't invoke the trinity every time I pray....I usually say "In Jesus Name" or simply "amen" Doesn't make Rick Warren's prayer any less valid IMO

Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,026,725 times
I heard the ending and it actually sounded like Rick Warren was trying to skirt around invoking Christ name, but when he I was proud of him for doing so.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM

Interesting....you see the one who changed my life, Jesus who taught us how to pray is the
same as our saviour, our redeemer, Jesus Christ.

One is his life changer but teaches us prayer, the other is our saviour

Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I heard the ending and it actually sounded like Rick Warren was trying to skirt around invoking Christ name, but when he I was proud of him for doing so.
Didn't see it as a good enough prayer, as a minister he should shout it from the rooftop. He relegated Jesus who teaching prayers, called Jesus, the one? Made hiim sound like a really cool college professor.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM

I listened to two other preachers who wouldnt even mention the name of Jesus. Lowry was one and he never mentioned Jesus and I didnt catch the name of the other.

I can see your point and he did seem to skirt around it and I can see where your point of him not calling Him Savior or Redeemer could be a sticking point, so I will give it to you, he should have been shouting from the roof tops.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,899,898 times
I can't believe this parsing of words..........

We aren't happy simply teaching each other rote prayers, we are now involved in establishing the relative merits of public prayer (which Jesus said NOT to do) because their rote prayer isn't in line with your rote prayer guidelines?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I can't believe this parsing of words..........

We aren't happy simply teaching each other rote prayers, we are now involved in establishing the relative merits of public prayer (which Jesus said NOT to do) because their rote prayer isn't in line with your rote prayer guidelines?
Could you please show the verses for your claim. I think I have seen this before but cannot find it.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Could you please show the verses for your claim. I think I have seen this before but cannot find it.
Yes would love to see this as well. I have yet to hear this one. His prayer was universal, thus not a Christian prayer. Does not qualify

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-20-2009 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM

The Lord’s prayer should be understood as an example, a pattern of how to pray. The Lord’s prayer teaches us to pray. It gives us the “ingredients” that should go into prayer. Here is how it breaks down: “Our Father in heaven” is teaching us whom to address our prayers to, the Father. “Hallowed be your name” is telling us to worship God and to praise Him for who He is. The phrase “your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven” is a reminder to us that we are to pray for God’s plan in our lives and the world, not our own plan. We are to pray for God’s will to be done, not for our desires. We are encouraged to ask God for the things we need in “give us today our daily bread.” “Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors” reminds us to confess our sins to God and to turn from them – and then also to forgive others as God has forgiven us. The conclusion of the Lord’s prayer, “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one” is a plea for help in achieving victory over sin and a request for protection from the attacks of the devil.

So, again, the Lord’s prayer is not a prayer we are to memorize and recite back to God. It is only an example of how we should be praying. Is there anything wrong with memorizing the Lord’s prayer? Of course not! Is there anything wrong with praying the Lord’s prayer back to God? Not if your heart is in it and you truly mean the words you say. Remember, in prayer, God is far more interested in us communing with Him and speaking from our hearts than He is in the specific words we use.

(Philippians 4:6–7)
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or