U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM

9,728 posts, read 3,536,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
So you don't think Jesus would want Christians to stop fighting each other or are you just being confrontational with me?

Are you trying to pick a fight with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM

600 posts, read 1,154,544 times
Moderator cut:

orphaned post

It's not about trying to impress anyone Elizabeth, it's about what is pleasing to our Father...and I don't think He is at all pleased by what is happening on this board. It really saddens me to see all of the bickering that goes on amongst the Christians on here.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-22-2009 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,533,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Are you trying to pick a fight with me?
That was my question. Instead of being baited into getting in trouble with the mods I'll just say that I'm entitled to my own opinion(Specially on a thread about what atheists think) and based on what I've read about Jesus in the bible, I think he would have wanted Christians to stop fighting each other.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,472,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
There have been a lot of posts stating, what would atheists think if they saw us Christians bickering, proving to them that atheism is the way. I like to think along different lines. I would say that they see people searching for the truth or trying to proclaim the truth through the muddle. I also read that we Christians are all brothers in Christ and we must be of one accord, there's the problem, are we all brothers and sisters in Christ? This forum is a mess mixed with sheep and goats. We have red letter Christians, Liberal social gospel Christians, moderate Christians, fundamentalist Christians, new-age Christians, emergent Christians, universalist Christians even people who follow Jesus but do want to be labeled "Christian" Christians, we have cultural Christians, we have Christians with weak discernment, we have Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Roman Catholics etc....We have people who believe in hell, people that don't believe in hell, we have people that believe Jesus is the "only" way and people that believe Jesus is "a" way, we have people that believe all roads lead to heaven and people that believe as long as you live like Jesus did, you can go to heaven, we have people that believe in sufficiency of scripture and people that don't. Evangelicals call Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Universalist "heretics", The Catholic Church calls all protestants an "anathema".

We are people of all different faiths so why in the name of Christianity would we pretend to agree with each other and of being one accord when it is evident we do and are not. I think that this is hypocrisy. If I believe some of you are going to hell because of your beliefs then how is it love if I don't tell you? the same way if someone thinks I am going to hell I would expect that person whether it be a Mormon, a Roman Catholic try to witness to me and tell me I am wrong; I can appreciate that because I know that person deeply cares about my salvation. It is not judgmental, intolerant, self righteous, offensive to tell me the truth you believe it to be so you can save me from a horrifying fate. No, that's love and as Christians that is our duty. We may not agree on many things and we may not be of one accord but that doesn't mean we can't be civil and understanding without compromising truth.

Atheists would see there is something to this and they owe it to their soul to find the truth.
Now let me ask you a question. I have read a lot of your posts, and while you take a hard line fundamentalist stance on almost everything pertaining to your perception of how Christianity should be, or what you believe the scripture tells you,,you often come across as condesending and cold, lacking the love and sincerity in your posts. I think it turns others who read it, off from how they in turn view their Savior, and Lord, even though it may not be your intentions.

It is almost like 2 different versions of the same message that Jesus gave. So then there in lies the division. Jesus made it clear in some cases, and others He spoke in parables. These are open to interpretation, and these will vary to almost innumerable degrees.

Who is right, and who is wrong. No one has the lock on the name "Christianity", as this is the term given to those who follow Jesus, as King. And in following Jesus, this also means they are subject to Him, and Him alone. People of the far right, always claiim they are right, based upon the "early" foundations of the church. The people on the left realize that the early church was corrupted almost from the inception, by the Roman empire.

So this is where division comes in. Does our journeys end at the cross? No! It is where it begins. Having come to the cross, it is up to us to seek out our Lord's face, and by doing so, this also means that we are to overcome the world, and it's temptations. Some may disagree with this, but that is ok. This is how I see what Jesus taught us. If you do disagree, that is fine, but I would never tell those who do, that they are going to hell, as that would be judging others, when that is ALONE God's job.

This is where fundies and I part, as they love to judge. They act like it is there God given right to do so, even though it isn't, as they are on the same journey as the next. Are they without sin? Does casting the first stone come to mind? Does it always come to mind?

We do the things we do out of love. Even those on the right will tell you this. Those on the left might express it a tad bit better, or nicer, or more lovingly. But God knows the hearts of mankind, and what kind of fruit they bear. AS long as they are in the right sight of God is all that matters, and that truly is a personal walk, right?

I love the teachings of Paul Washer, and some of the other fundies, but I also read Brian McClaren as well. It doesn't affect my faith or submission to God in the least, and to be honest, it enhances my Love even further. A guy like Paul will tell me that I am but a wretched sinner before God, and that without repentance there is no hope for salvation. A guy like Brian will tell me that the perceptions of the church might be a tad bit screwed up right now, from how the early Christians lived and worked. But I take them both in, take what i need, and heed the rest. Hopefully, the God we know and Love is what causes us to seek out the things of Him. It is for His Glory, and the Glory of His Son, our beloved King, that lives and works through us.

This is what the world should see, from us, the Christians...

Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,472,612 times
figures...crickets..

Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM

13,574 posts, read 21,724,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I don't think Christians should all become united for our sake but rather because it's what Jesus Christ would have wanted.
Wise words from my young Atheist friend..Not all wisdom comes from those claiming to be the true() christians.Personally, I think the atheist who is interested in reading the bible without any manmade religions embedded in him can understand it very well, just not believe it..I enjoy reading and understanding many things that I don't believe in..
Coos had a very good message from the outside looking in..Jesus wants the Christians to be united as an example to the unbelievers..

IMO we are a disease infected, crippled body that does not bring honor to its head..

Old 01-23-2009, 12:20 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times
if they are a true atheist they would think for themselves, which is a good thing.
i am not atheist but people that think have as a rule good ethics.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,146,970 times
Quote:
Coos had a very good message from the outside looking in..Jesus wants the Christians to be united as an example to the unbelievers..

IMO we are a disease infected, crippled body that does not bring honor to its head..
Good points. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity