U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,736,111 times

Advertisements

There have been a lot of posts stating, what would atheists think if they saw us Christians bickering, proving to them that atheism is the way. I like to think along different lines. I would say that they see people searching for the truth or trying to proclaim the truth through the muddle. I also read that we Christians are all brothers in Christ and we must be of one accord, there's the problem, are we all brothers and sisters in Christ? This forum is a mess mixed with sheep and goats. We have red letter Christians, Liberal social gospel Christians, moderate Christians, fundamentalist Christians, new-age Christians, emergent Christians, universalist Christians even people who follow Jesus but do want to be labeled "Christian" Christians, we have cultural Christians, we have Christians with weak discernment, we have Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Roman Catholics etc....We have people who believe in hell, people that don't believe in hell, we have people that believe Jesus is the "only" way and people that believe Jesus is "a" way, we have people that believe all roads lead to heaven and people that believe as long as you live like Jesus did, you can go to heaven, we have people that believe in sufficiency of scripture and people that don't. Evangelicals call Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Universalist "heretics", The Catholic Church calls all protestants an "anathema".

We are people of all different faiths so why in the name of Christianity would we pretend to agree with each other and of being one accord when it is evident we do and are not. I think that this is hypocrisy. If I believe some of you are going to hell because of your beliefs then how is it love if I don't tell you? the same way if someone thinks I am going to hell I would expect that person whether it be a Mormon, a Roman Catholic try to witness to me and tell me I am wrong; I can appreciate that because I know that person deeply cares about my salvation. It is not judgmental, intolerant, self righteous, offensive to tell me the truth you believe it to be so you can save me from a horrifying fate. No, that's love and as Christians that is our duty. We may not agree on many things and we may not be of one accord but that doesn't mean we can't be civil and understanding without compromising truth.

Atheists would see there is something to this and they owe it to their soul to find the truth.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-21-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,264,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
There have been a lot of posts stating, what would atheists think if they saw us Christians bickering,
Most of us find it funny, I think. You might be surprised how many of us lurk here for a good chuckle.

Quote:
Atheists would see there is something to this and they owe it to their soul to find the truth.
I respectfully disagree. Short of showing me hard scientific evidence that your deity exists, you're not going to change my mind about what I believe.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:01 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,904,587 times
Fundamentalist, if I could quote the entire Bible to you I would. As it is, take this:

Romans 14:10-15:13

Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Most of us find it funny, I think. You might be surprised how many of us lurk here for a good chuckle.

I respectfully disagree. Short of showing me hard scientific evidence that your deity exists, you're not going to change my mind about what I believe.
That's ok and I appreciate that but I have met other atheists who are willing.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Fundamentalist, if I could quote the entire Bible to you I would. As it is, take this:

Romans 14:10-15:13
I wholeheartedly agree

Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree
Good. Then I imagine all the debating will stop.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Good. Then I imagine all the debating will stop.
Nope because we are not of the same church.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Nope because we are not of the same church.
Who exactly is we and who is in whom's church and which other church are you referring to?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,640,078 times
Fundamentllist,
I posted a follow-up immediately following your OP, telling you how good I thought it was. Then when I went back, yours was totally gone, but mine was still there. Now yours is back, and mine is gone!!!Weird!
Anyhooo, I really like/liked the op. I haven't read the 'new' one, so don't know if you altered it....

Marian

I forgot to add....I do not think we, on this forum, are all brethren. My brethren are those who have obeyed the doctrine of Christ,i.e.; the ones who have obeyed the gospel, the death, burial, and resurrection, of Christ. The ones who are going onward and abiding in the doctrine of Christ.

Last edited by Towhee; 01-21-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 AM

13,580 posts, read 21,750,826 times
I would not attempt to know what the atheists would think , anymore than I can pretend to know how God thinks..I am hoping though that since christians are believers in God, Son and Holy Spirit and that we are brothers and sisters that we should, without much effort be able to worship with each other even though personal doctrin may vary..The doctrine of Christ is with all christians.(else we are not christians).As a christian/believer I feel the christ connection between myself and those who may feel more comfortable in a worship service with Catholics, Baptist, Methodists, etc.

Sometimes I am criticized because I say I have a personal relationship with God.(Personal meaning not a carbon copy, but unique)yet he has set forth only a few guidelines for all of us to follow...
I have a different personal relationship with each of my 4 children and 9 grandchildren, because they all have different personalities and thought processes, yet I love each one as much as the other but there are a few guidelines I ask all of them to follow.. and whatever inheritance I leave them will be equal, because my love for each is the same.

Until christians can act in unity, love and tolerance of each other we will remain just a bunch of cackling chickens to the atheists of this forum and the world...

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-21-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity