U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 AM

783 posts, read 1,183,323 times

Advertisements

I heard this this morning and thought that it was helpful.

Living a Legacy - Legacy Moments Rom. 16:17-18 January 21, 2009 .

Quote:
Hi, I'm Crawford Loritts with a Legacy Moment. Recently I was watching a preacher on T.V. This guy was one of the sharpest looking guys I’ve ever seen in my life. He was impeccably dressed. Every hair was in place, and boy, could he ever preach! He had me mesmerized, but then I caught something. I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. I leaned forward, and then he said it several times again. I said to myself, “Not only is he pulling these verses out of context, but what he’s saying is not true. It’s not right.” In fact, he was manipulating his audience.

We need to check things out before we buy into someone’s teachings. We need to ask the right questions. If we’re not diligent about the study of the Scriptures (and I’m not talking about professional Christians here, I’m talking about everybody), then we open up ourselves to be pulled into stuff that’s really not right.

Listen to these sobering words in Romans chapter 16 verses 17 and 18; “I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive.”

Did you get that last line? By their smooth talk and flattery. It sounds so good. Hey, it’s all in the Bible; it must be right. He’s quoting the Scriptures, so his conclusion must be accurate.” Smooth, flattering, nice-sounding speech deceives the hearts of the naïve—the unsuspecting.

Here’s what I want you to remember today. Not everybody who preaches and teaches the Scriptures can be trusted. That’s sad but true. We need to be men and women of the Word. Don’t make assumptions. Commit yourself to being a lifelong student of the Word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 05:38 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,902,204 times
Smooth Flattering Speech....someone comes to mind....hmmmm oh yeah! The great half-rican american savior! Obama!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,261,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I heard this this morning and thought that it was helpful.

Living a Legacy - Legacy Moments Rom. 16:17-18 January 21, 2009 .
Amen.... great post!!
To many things and people out there speak and the scripture is used but twisted, taken out of context and because it is scripture one may think it is truth and sounds good, but if it flatters, tickles and draws the flesh, run, run as fast as you can.

Quote:
Here’s what I want you to remember today. Not everybody who preaches and teaches the Scriptures can be trusted. That’s sad but true. We need to be men and women of the Word. Don’t make assumptions. Commit yourself to being a lifelong student of the Word of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity