U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,471,698 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I wanted to get a discussion going about worldliness and what it means for the christian. I was thinking about the verse in James where he says that pure and faultless religion is to keep oneself from being polluted by the world (and helping widows and orphans). So the question is...what does worldliness (or avoidance of) look like in your life, or in the christian's life in general?

For me, the following things come to mind:

1. Buying into a system that encourages selfishness and lack of caring for other people ("Look out for number one. Screw everyone else!")
2. Believing that happiness is found in how many toys you have
3. Paying little heed to God's word
4. Thinking like the world, (ie, not renewing your mind, not having the mind of christ)

No doubt I'm missing stuff, but this is a short list. What do you guys think?

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,587,944 times
I think you're on point! No need to stop now!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 PM

178 posts, read 349,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi guys,

I wanted to get a discussion going about worldliness and what it means for the christian. I was thinking about the verse in James where he says that pure and faultless religion is to keep oneself from being polluted by the world (and helping widows and orphans). So the question is...what does worldliness (or avoidance of) look like in your life, or in the christian's life in general?

1. Buying into a system that encourages selfishness and lack of caring for other people ("Look out for number one. Screw everyone else!")
4. Thinking like the world, (ie, not renewing your mind, not having the mind of christ)

Mackinac
Psalms 106:34-44 - They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them, But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works. And they served their idols, which were a snare unto them. Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions. Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance. And he gave them into the hand of the heathen; and they that hated them ruled over them. Their enemies also oppressed them, and they were brought into subjection under their hand. Many times did he deliver them; but they provoked him with their counsel, and were brought low for their iniquity. Nevertheless he regarded their affliction, when he heard their cry.

The term worldliness is used in the New Testament mostly as "the affairs or things of ungodly men". As we see from the scriptures, if we mingle with ungodly men and serve them and their idols (flags, statutes, codes, etc), we are handed over to them by God and are oppressed by them. Aren't we oppressed if we ask permission of men to do the duties commanded us by God? We ask permission and trade our God given rights for "priviledges" and "benefits" via licenses to: work, move on the common ways, preach, fish, marry, etc.

I believe this is the most misunderstood and hidden form of worldliness. It is by design. Those in authority have usurped the power vested in them by Almighty God and choose to enslave the people by licensing our entire lives. We are their workerbees, paying for the priviledge of citizenship (via taxes), and a select few reap the benefits of the many.

Sound like a Godly system, or a worldly system?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi guys,

Mackinac
Interesting

Every country and government on Earth promotes all the things you just listed there. If anyone wanting to be a decent God Fearing Christian and please God, then it would behoove them to actually believe and follow Jesus commands and the apostles admonitions of keeping separate from the world. This of course would involve staying out of politics and remaining neutral during war time conflicts. The history of religion not following Jesus commands on this is horrific as people of the exact same faith have butchered and killed each other in the name of worldly nationalism.

Not only has it dirtied Almighty God's reputation, but it illustrates that any type of worldwide Christian brotherhood is in reality a SHAM !!!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 AM

55,697 posts, read 74,699,564 times
it means you got 3 gods
god of the office - bottom line
god of the church - impression management
god of the home - harmony at absolutely any cost

Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it means you got 3 gods
god of the office - bottom line
The almighty $$$ or whatever

god of the church - impression management
Pick or choose whatever Mega Church to illustrate this

god of the home - harmony at absolutely any cost
Gotta love the invention of the television set. Best baby sitter money can buy!
Kidding aside, it's the world alienated from God that the "god of the world" is in charge of. 2 Corinthians 4:4

Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 AM

381 posts, read 684,509 times
Jesus said,

I desire mercy not sacrifice.

the world hateth me, therefore the world hateth you. But be be of good cheer, for I have overcome the world.

Peter,
4:8 and above all things have ferveen love for another, for love will cover a multitude of sins.

right above the verse you cited in james, sir, about pure and undefiled religion were 2 helpful instructions from James.

1) bridle your tongue. ( think about it. in traffic rather reply to the guy that cusses and flips you off as is the typical motorists rant, do nothing)

2) look into the perfect law of liberty James 1:25, and be doer of the word.
Now what did the word say to do. Well, Jesus exactly, Love the Lord God with all your heart ,mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself. In these 2 you will fulfill the whole law. These are the 2 main instructions given to the diciples ( and we're all his diciples) he then went on to say, in John 14:23. If anyone loves me ( see above) he will keep my word.

Jesus makes it so simple...but we seem to complicate it .

nice topic. Paul said well in galatians chapter 5 . walk in the spirit..and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Now the fruits of the spirit are these.....

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM

309 posts, read 446,417 times
The term worldliness to me is doing and acting in a way that is not God pleasing. To live in the worldly way means that your not doing as God wants us to do. I don't event listen to music unless it is Christian music. One good thought to remember is before you do something that one might question as being worldly or Godly always think if Jesus was in the same room with you would you do it in front of him.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 PM

373 posts, read 226,661 times
worldliness - concern with worldly affairs to the neglect of spiritual needs. The bible says
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. (1 John 2:15a KJV)

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof, but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever. (1 John 2:16-17 KJV).

Basically, Worldliness is living your life in a way that is not pleasing to God. Being in love with things of the world such as earthly possessions.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,285,920 times
The world says to keep hold of your things and money and then you will have enough
God says to give it away and he will provide your needs.
Then more I give the more I seem to have...it's just God's system..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or