U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,465,311 times

Advertisements

I usually don't start two threads in one day, but I was reading my bible, and learning things, and wondered what other christians learned today from reading THEIR bible. They don't have to be deep profound truths. They can be random facts that you never noticed before, or whatever.

I'll start. Today I learned that the name "Jared" is biblical. Jared was Enoch's father. (Gen 5:18) I had no idea.

Anyone else please feel free to share

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM

13,572 posts, read 21,720,884 times
Deuteronomy 24:5 NIV
If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.

Actually I ran across this verse when looking for something to contribute to one of the threads..But as I do with many posts, I deleted it...

Wow, the groom was exempt from military or any other duties and it says he was free to stay home the first year and entertain the wife Now I know where the idea for multiple wives came from

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM

7,812 posts, read 10,705,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

"Jared"

Gen 5:18

June read Genesis 5:18 today after reading your OP. --And finally (after 21 years) found out exactly where in the bible Little June's name was actually cited.

Sometimes, it's the little things. Like remembering the day you chose your only child's name. And still loving that name.

But not nearly as much as you still love him.

Take gentle care.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,421,699 times
Default The Mystery of The Gospel...

Sacrificial Service for Christ

I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the aflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church, of which I became a minister acording to the stewardship from God which was given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God, the mystery which has been hiddden from ages and from generations, but now has been revealed to His saints. To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which (who) is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. To this END I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.

I've begun an awesome journey...that's begun with searching the "mysteries" of the gospel...and this is where I am in my studies. God is revealing His truth in me like never before in my life...I've read the Bible many times before...only this time is different, it's like I am reading it for the first time..with such clarity...God is speaking to me, and I'm so excited that I can't wait to continue! Thanks for this thread...it's great!...Love

Last edited by Verna Perry; 01-21-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM

373 posts, read 226,477 times
The other day, I learnt that Abraham and Sarah were brother and sister from he same father.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,283,853 times
I was just reading, "My ways are not your ways". So many times I want to do what I think makes sense and I need to ask God first and seek his direction and wisdom...

Old 01-22-2009, 07:15 PM

112 posts, read 154,817 times
I learned that America is in the midst of "Birth Pains"

So stay prayed up and hold on

Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,273,199 times
First of all, excellent topic.

I read Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all people. It trains us to reject godless ways and wordly desires and to live SELF-CONTROLLED, upright, and godly lives in the present age, as we wait for the happy fulfillment of our hope in the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ. I love this verse, it sums it all up about how we are to live as Christians as we wait on our Great God and Savior Jesus Christ. By the way this is one of those rare Scriptures (depending on whose translation you read) that calls Jesus God and Saviour. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or