U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Pokemon appropriate for kids?
Good 56 80.00%
Bad 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 808 times

Advertisements

ACTUAL VIDEO GAME
i'm not religious but hear me out, those seizures were an accident, if it was intentional, thy guy who finalised the animation would be thrown in jail, and the majority of kids who suffered the seizures still watched the show. i myself being a pokemon fan, will tell you how the game goes and you can judge it a little better. the game starts out with your avatar in the game, getting your first pokemon. you then set out to train and evolve that pokemon. (remember that the game is japanese so the term 'evolve' may have been originally misinterpreted) if you look up evolve in the dictionary it says "any formation of development or growth" the term evolve in the pokemon games means exactly that, the pokemon (charmander for example) starts out as a baby lizard with a flaming tail, it then grows into a similar pokemon with a horn on its head, and finally in its adult form it grows wings. i don't really know how christians think, but i read somwhere that horns, wings, etc are associated with the devil. this is not true wings, horns, etc are evidence of becoming more powerful, or a way of protecting oneself. a bee has a stinger incase he gets attacked, otherwise he would be helpless. even humans have a natural form of protection, our muscle and brain power, without those we would be helpless. now the ghost thing, i heard that you guys think ghosts are evil or somthing, but again the game is japanese, and i belive that in japanese culture, ghosts arent evil, they are infact playful/childish spirits, so look at it that way.
TRADING CARDS
the trading cards are honestly not occultistic in any way, it is simply a childish hobby. all you do is trade them for other cards that are equal in stats/coolness level, then battle them. you may be thinking "oh no battleing seems a little violent, isn't that teaching the children all kinds of bad lessons?", now there may be a lot of dreamed up bad things based on assumption, but let me point out some good things:
-it teaches kids value, no self respecting kid would trade an ancient mew card for a zubat
-it teaches them basic math skills, while batteling they constantly have to add/subtract stats
-teaches basic knowledge skills, while battaling, they have to know what cards to use in order to even out the playing feild
-memory skills, they have to remember if the monster still has the amount of health points that is written on the card
-determination, even if your team is losing, you still need determination to tip tha scales in your favor
-sharing, trading cards is sharing them, kids take a card and see if it's equal to a friend's card. if it is they trade, simple
-its an innocent hobby
if you think this is evil in any way you're kidding yourself. i doubt that the creators just sat in office one day and said "hey guys, lets come up with something cute and innocent, a game for kids, and set it up as a very subtle occultistic brainwashing tool to raise millions of kids up as devil worshippers, to slowly create an army and destroy the world". do you really think that happened? if you do then wow. sorry to leave on such a depressing note

(as a non-Christian, i have absolutely no idea of how you guys think. I am very sorry if i have said anything offensive an please understand that i did not mean to insult or upset you in any way. i apologise for saying anything you may seriously disagree with. that said, thanks for reading my very long reply and i hope i helped a bit)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 AM

28,166 posts, read 15,224,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
At my six-year-old son's birthday party, one of his friends gave him Pokemon trading cards as a gift. I don't know much about Pokemon but have the feeling it is not right for a young man of God. We talk about choices and decisions and do they honor God or not. While not every decision or choice goes through that process, Pokemon definitely will.

I've researched the Internet a bit and found some concerning information (on Wikipedia) and thought I'd ask in this forum and get your thoughts.
  • What do you know about Pokemon?
  • If it's OK, why?
  • If it's bad, why?
I promised my son I'd do my research before giving him the decision on whether he is allowed to keep the cards.
One...Stay away from the 'Wiki-Tabloid' if you want real information...
Two...They are just trading cards...Like Baseball, of Football...

There is nothing evil in itself except what one does with a thing...Wickedness and evil, Sin, is rebellion against HaShem...If you think that your son getting involved in these trading cards is going to cause him to rebel against HaShem, then they will not be good for him, if, on the other hand, you believe it will become merely a passtime for him with no injurious effects, then I see no harm...On a personal note, I myself think that it is a waste of time...Raise a child in the way they should go and they will never depart from it...

Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 AM

4,608 posts, read 5,443,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You forgot Trick or Treating, Harry Potter books and the Magic 8 Ball.
Trick or treating should be okay as long the kids dress up as "holy" ghosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity