Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,462 times

Advertisements

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Lincol...09lincolnbible
ap-Curator Clark Evans displays the burgundy velvet, gilt-edged Lincoln Inaugural Bible at the Library of Congress Tuesday, Dec. 23, 2008, in Washington. President-elect Barack Obama will take his oath of office on the bible Jan. 20, becoming the first president to use it since Abraham Lincoln at his swearing-in on March 4, 1861
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,459 times
Considering Lincoln helped to abolish slavery it is a good choice of Bibles. But is Obama really black? I recollect before the campaigning began that he said something about not being totally black because his mother was white? Well it is cool that they've been able to keep Lincoln's Bible in such good shape considering how old it is.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:12 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,151,542 times
Quote:
Considering Lincoln helped to abolish slavery it is a good choice of Bibles. But is Obama really black? I recollect before the campaigning began that he said something about not being totally black because his mother was white?

Obama is biracial but he refers to himself as black. What does this have to do with it, Hoosier? BTW anyone with one drop of black blood was considered black in this country and were for the most part slaves even if one parent was white, unless someone passed for white. Abraham Lincoln is someone that he looks up to and admires from what I understand. He uses many of his ideas in his speeches. God bless.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4731552.shtml

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-18-2009 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
I'm sure it honors God that so much time and thought went into this particular gesture. I love reading stories like this.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:36 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Obama is biracial but he refers to himself as black. What does this have to do with it, Hoosier? BTW anyone with one drop of black blood was considered black in this country and were slaves even if one parent was white, unless someone passed for white. Abraham Lincoln is someone that he looks up to and admires from what I understand. He uses many of his ideas in his speeches. God bless.

The Obama-Lincoln Parallel: A Closer Look, Two Presidential Historians Discuss The Leaders, Closely Linked But Separated By 150 Years - CBS News
I was simply curious. Nothing more. I don't care what his color is. I am glad that President Lincoln will be honored in this inauguration by the use of his Bible.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I was simply curious. Nothing more. I don't care what his color is. I am glad that President Lincoln will be honored in this inauguration by the use of his Bible.
K God bless.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,258 times
The Bible is only as good as the Author. Does he honor the Author?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 PM

Matthew 25 Network (http://www.matthew25.org/quotes.htm#personalfaith - broken link)

How many believe that Abraham Lincoln was a great/effective leader? or Thomas Jefferson? But many of us would probably not have agreed with some of their views of Christianity. They were considered to be nonconventional by many. I may not agree with everything that President Elect Obama believes in, just like many of us believers do not agree on each and every thing. Evidently he does have a personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. He is to be our president and we are to lift him up in prayer. Paul instructs us to pray for those in high positions, and he did not say that that needed to be believers or even that they needed to believe exactly like we do in order for us to pray for them. He will not not only the president of believers but he will be the president of all US citizens.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-18-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 PM

178 posts, read 404,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Matthew 25 Network (http://www.matthew25.org/quotes.htm#personalfaith - broken link)

How many believe that Abraham Lincoln was a great/effective leader? or Thomas Jefferson? But many of us would probably not have agreed with some of their views of Christianity. They were considered to be nonconventional by many. I may not agree with everything that President Elect Obama believes in, just like many of us believers do not agree on each and every thing. Evidently he does have a personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. He is to be our president and we are to lift him up in prayer. Paul instructs us to pray for those in high positions, and he did not say that that needed to be believers or even that they needed to believe exactly like we do in order for us to pray for them. He will not not only the president of believers but he will be the president of all US citizens.

God bless.
Are bondservants of Christ "US citizens"? We cannot serve two masters as the scriptures teach us. Our allegiance is to Almighty God, His Devine Kingdom and His Divine Law, not to a man-made country or state. Claiming to be a "US citizen" is claiming to be a creature of the state. We are creations of our Father in Heaven.

Governments and rulers are ordained by God, but if they do not follow His Law, then they are due no obedience from those who are of Christ's Assembly. We are to pray for rulers to adhere to God's devine Law, but I haven't seen any who do. Those who try are disposed of in short order. Keep in mind, these "leaders" are a party to an oppressive system which enslaves its people through statutes, codes, ordinances, licenses, social security, etc. If they've reached this position, they are well aware of how the system works.

Is this a Godly system?
I think the evidence speaks for itself.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Are bondservants of Christ "US citizens"?
Yes. We have one master, but we are citizens of the lands and are to obey the laws of the land, if they are not immoral. Jesus said to render unto Ceasar the things that are Ceasars and unto God the things that are God's. My point was that Obama is not only to be the president of only believers but he is president of all US citizens, all who legally make their home in this country. We are told to pray for those in high authority and not only if they are believers and we are respect their position. ( Ref: 1 Peter 2:13, Titus 3:1, 1 Timothy 2:1-2) Being a citizen does not mean that we are creatures of the state. We live there.

Notes: At the time Peter wrote these words that was not a single king professing Christianity. , nor was there one until centuries later. It was a pagan king whom Peter exorted the Christians "scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia" to honor. ..The same manner applies to the text in 1 Tim. that prayer should be made for kings and all who were in authority. Here again, the kings were unbelievers. ...One doesn't have to approve of what a wordly king does in order to pray for him. Praying for a person does not necessarily involve approving of his personality or acts.(obvious) ..Christians should make the best of their situation living under their govermental circumstances.." (Hebrew/Greek Word Study Bible) God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-19-2009 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity