U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2009, 12:46 PM

81 posts, read 104,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I'm afraid that is a rather baseless assumption.

Someone who has their priorities straight by having their eyes and their heart on God before marriage, and for this reason desire to remain pure with God's help, will also very likely have their priorities straight when it comes to marriage itself.

That's a big AMEN !
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,124,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
It's interesting that Paul says (depending on whose translation you're reading), in 1Corinthians 7:10-11 that NOT I BUT THE LORD says a wife should NOT divorce a husband. (but if she does, LET HER REMAIN unmarried or become reconciled to her husband), and a husband should not divorce his wife. This isn't Paul talking here; but Paul directly quoting from God under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

How do you interpret this verse?
sounds like hell to me - people are capable of kinder attitudes than that.

k.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,504 times
Paul the Apostle was the first to speak on behalf of woman's rights. Historically, only the man's divorce was recognized. Before conversion, these Hebrews could divorce on a whim. Paul is saying in short order, don't do that! *In Paul's day, women were not taught to READ OR WRITE, only to learn from their father or husband. Therefore, they would find it difficult to survive without one. She would be better off keeping the relationship in tack or wait for him to pick the relationship back up. He was trying to tell them a better way to handle the relationship. Then as now, Christians are continually told, to live godly in Christ. If there is no repentance of adultery, the bond of marriage will not be monogamous. If the unbeliever departs, let him depart! We are not to be in bondage to it.

Last edited by debringer133; 01-22-2010 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: sentence correction

Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 PM

1,183 posts, read 417,572 times
Default What The Heart of the Matter Really Issue

Your just puzzled at people that say they Christians but don't believe
1 Cor. 7 and Romans 7:2-3 if you put them to the test with the book.

Your just puzzled at leaders that say they Christians but don't believe
1 Cor. 7 and Romans 7:2-3 if you put them to the test with the book

The book do all the talking the way God want it not the way man want it-----1 John 2:27

The issue is finding John 10 people that believe what the book say here so they can have unity in Christ with John 10 people like the book encourage.

Obviously John 10 people not flunkies with the book too long cause they simply John 10 people that know what's up with the book and they know a John 8:44 person from a John 10 person when the book is messed with enough.

Holiness not philosophy or 50 intrepretations people have and disagree on in the book somewhere.

Holiness is simply living out what God say only and knowing you know what God say in the book eventually cause your a John 10 person

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
It's interesting that Paul says (depending on whose translation you're reading), in 1Corinthians 7:10-11 that NOT I BUT THE LORD says a wife should NOT divorce a husband. (but if she does, LET HER REMAIN unmarried or become reconciled to her husband), and a husband should not divorce his wife. This isn't Paul talking here; but Paul directly quoting from God under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

How do you interpret this verse?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 14,294 times
I have not read this whole thing, but wanted to see your opinions on my situation and saw no need of creating a new thread since this one is here!

I became a Christian last year, and before that had no knowledge of the Word and this year has been one of the best of my life, praise the Lord!

Before I became a Christian I was in a relationship in college and married the women after college. We both were not Christians at the time. Things did not go so well the first year and I divorced her (no biblical reason.) At the time we were both 26.

I then became a Christian actually during the time of the divorce. I learned through the Word what marriage was really about and how God planned marriage to be. At this time I was getting my life together as the divorce and other things in my life really fell apart, but God helped me get through it all!

I then realized that I should be with my 'wife' (we were now 'divorced.) and talked to her about reconciliation and re-building our marriage. She informed me she was with someone else and bought a house and she was not interested in being with me.

I then heard from other Christians that if I were to re-marry it would be 'living in adultery' and God would not accept my second marriage and even some people said I would go to hell considering I was living in sin!

I don't think I would go to hell, but I don't think God would accept a second marriage because I am still 'married' to my first wife. At this point I am not with anyone, not even dating and seeking God and His will as that is most important in my life.

I talked to a Pastor who said that I was free to re-marry if I desired because I sought reconciliation and was refused, but to me that does not give me the right to remarry. I know that I was not a Christian at the time I was married and did not have knowledge of the Word, but I still am accountable for my sins.

What do you guys think about this situation?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 PM

21 posts, read 14,294 times
Bumping this up once.. I know this is a tough subject, but wanted to hear some of your thoughts.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 187 times
I met this wonderful man....Spoke so much via phone and via text that I was actually in love with him before we met face to face. We met and could not resist the sexual desires....NOW, 4 months later, he says that the only way to be together and ensure our souls is to have a sexless relationship and never marry. This is what the Church of Christ believes.....I did leave out that I am not actually divorced SOLE DUE TO FINANCES!!!! My ex (or soon to be) came out and told me he was gay....My God, My belief is God released me from that marriage....My boyfriend believes we have so dishonored God by our sexual relationship that we could never make it right with God and have a marriage He would bless.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM

275 posts, read 97,267 times
Default Divorce and Remarriage - Just don't

This is a topic that has Christians at each others throats when it comes to practical doctrines. It's a topic that I and the other two pastors in our church have been 'debating' for several years. It's a difficult topic that tugs at our hearts and causes us to want to be 'soft' when dealing with the topic, especially when dealing with those that are considering, going through or have already divorced and and remarried. We three pastors have had several heated arguments over this, and we're still not in agreement over some very basic wording.

My view of the doctrine only takes into account those that are believers, non-believers are not constrained by the the Spirit's teaching on the subject. I always start with what Jesus taught on the subject.

"What God has joined, no man separate." Most translations read, "let no man separate" but the 'let' simply isn't in the Greek. It's a command straight from Christ that simply states that no one may separate what God has joined. It isn't until the Jewish leaders and scribes push him on the subject that Jesus states that divorce is only valid on the grounds of 'unchastity' or 'immorality' (Mt. 5:32, 19:9). Mark's account doesn't even mention immorality as a reason for divorce, but records hat divorce and remarriage result in adultery. Jesus plainly states that "from the beginning it has not been this way." (Mt. 19:8) And it was a sinful attitude that God even gave the divorce law, and that was for the woman's protection. "Because of your hardness of heart," is how Jesus put it. God's 'permission' for divorce was not a concession to the sinful attitude of those wanting to divorce their wives, but rather it was a protection for the wives who were going to be (and were) put away for anything that was unpleasing to the husband! And so Jesus wants the Jewish leaders understand very clearly that there is no reason for divorce - God joined it, no man may separate it. So why does Jesus then allow it for 'immorality'? Because the Law allowed it, for a very specific reason, Jesus upheld the Law but clearly marked what that Law truly allowed and not their teaching on what the Law allowed.

(Just as an FYI, Jesus was the first person in the Bible to speak to a wife divorcing her husband, not Paul)

So what does the rest of the New Testament have to say on divorce and remarriage? Paul, in speaking to the Corinthian church (1 Cor. 7), says this:

1. Wives, don't divorce your husbands. (vs. 10)
2. Husband, don't divorce your wives. (vs. 11)
3. If you divorce your believing spouse, do not get remarried. (vs. 11)
4. Even if you have an unbelieving spouse, don't divorce them. (vs. 12-14)
5. If you unbelieving spouse wants to divorce you, let them leave. (vs. 15-16)

Three things are very clear from Paul's teaching:
1. Believers are not to get divorced from each other, and if they do, they are not to remarry.
2. A married believer is not to divorce his unbelieving wife/her unbelieving husband.
3. If your unbelieving husband/wife wishes to leave (by divorce) let them.

What's not so clear is this: Can believer who has been divorced by his/her husband/wife remarry? I am of the opinion that they may, since Paul doesn't prohibit remarriage in this case. It could be argued that they are in the same position as the widowers and widows (vs. 8-9) and should remain unmarried, but only as opinion, not scriptural doctrine.

So what do we do with a Christian who has either divorced their husband/wife and either burns or has already remarried? You love them and accept them as brothers and sisters. It's not for us to 'judge' them, God already has judged their sin (if any) and has forgiven them. The only area in which we can judge them by examination is in the qualification as an elder/overseer/bishop/presbyter. And even then the church can't agree on if a divorced man can be an elder depending on how they read and interpret Paul's instruction there.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,448,382 times
Divorce is a sin. Marriage can be tiresome and difficult. We as Christians are called to live Holy lives - to take up our cross daily and follow Christ. Life is full of choices - and I personally believe that we should NOT aim to divorce our spouse - but if there is extreme abuse or prolonged abuse then there is grounds to separate - what then? If a young woman separates from her nasty husband - or a young man is divorced by his unfaithful wife.....should these young people live the rest of their lives without a partner? Because.....the DANGER is that they will fall into SIN anyway...by BURNING with lust for some man or woman....but hey...they cannot have them....they must live ALONE. So one thing Paul says - do DO NOT DIVORCE - contradicts another - DO NOT BURN WITH PASSION, IF YOU DO IT IS BETTER TO MARRY. Which is why I think this is a very tricky area.

I do think that a divorced person should NOT be in leadership in the church though. A Pastor has to be the best example for his congregation. Top man.

I think a lot of prayer and reflection is required.

Best try and get on with our spouses.....try some humility, love and a touch of romance, maybe then we can all stay married.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 516,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post
This is a topic that has Christians at each others throats when it comes to practical doctrines. It's a topic that I and the other two pastors in our church have been 'debating' for several years. It's a difficult topic that tugs at our hearts and causes us to want to be 'soft' when dealing with the topic, especially when dealing with those that are considering, going through or have already divorced and and remarried. We three pastors have had several heated arguments over this, and we're still not in agreement over some very basic wording.

My view of the doctrine only takes into account those that are believers, non-believers are not constrained by the the Spirit's teaching on the subject. I always start with what Jesus taught on the subject.

"What God has joined, no man separate." Most translations read, "let no man separate" but the 'let' simply isn't in the Greek. It's a command straight from Christ that simply states that no one may separate what God has joined. It isn't until the Jewish leaders and scribes push him on the subject that Jesus states that divorce is only valid on the grounds of 'unchastity' or 'immorality' (Mt. 5:32, 19:9). Mark's account doesn't even mention immorality as a reason for divorce, but records hat divorce and remarriage result in adultery. Jesus plainly states that "from the beginning it has not been this way." (Mt. 19:8) And it was a sinful attitude that God even gave the divorce law, and that was for the woman's protection. "Because of your hardness of heart," is how Jesus put it. God's 'permission' for divorce was not a concession to the sinful attitude of those wanting to divorce their wives, but rather it was a protection for the wives who were going to be (and were) put away for anything that was unpleasing to the husband! And so Jesus wants the Jewish leaders understand very clearly that there is no reason for divorce - God joined it, no man may separate it. So why does Jesus then allow it for 'immorality'? Because the Law allowed it, for a very specific reason, Jesus upheld the Law but clearly marked what that Law truly allowed and not their teaching on what the Law allowed.

(Just as an FYI, Jesus was the first person in the Bible to speak to a wife divorcing her husband, not Paul)

So what does the rest of the New Testament have to say on divorce and remarriage? Paul, in speaking to the Corinthian church (1 Cor. 7), says this:

1. Wives, don't divorce your husbands. (vs. 10)
2. Husband, don't divorce your wives. (vs. 11)
3. If you divorce your believing spouse, do not get remarried. (vs. 11)
4. Even if you have an unbelieving spouse, don't divorce them. (vs. 12-14)
5. If you unbelieving spouse wants to divorce you, let them leave. (vs. 15-16)

Three things are very clear from Paul's teaching:
1. Believers are not to get divorced from each other, and if they do, they are not to remarry.
2. A married believer is not to divorce his unbelieving wife/her unbelieving husband.
3. If your unbelieving husband/wife wishes to leave (by divorce) let them.

What's not so clear is this: Can believer who has been divorced by his/her husband/wife remarry? I am of the opinion that they may, since Paul doesn't prohibit remarriage in this case. It could be argued that they are in the same position as the widowers and widows (vs. 8-9) and should remain unmarried, but only as opinion, not scriptural doctrine.

So what do we do with a Christian who has either divorced their husband/wife and either burns or has already remarried? You love them and accept them as brothers and sisters. It's not for us to 'judge' them, God already has judged their sin (if any) and has forgiven them. The only area in which we can judge them by examination is in the qualification as an elder/overseer/bishop/presbyter. And even then the church can't agree on if a divorced man can be an elder depending on how they read and interpret Paul's instruction there.
I think this gives good examples as to why remarriage is forbidden (in most cases):

Divorce, Remarriage: Who May Remarry according to the Bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity