Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
To the OP, this is why we have tradition. Look at the tradition of the subject from the beginning. Before there was a bible. The bible says to hold on to sacred tradition. This is what the catholic church teaches. We don't believe in sola scriptura for exactly this reason. Some things can't be decided on scipture alone. For 2000 years, we have held fast to tradition. We have the protection of god when Jesus said the gates of hell won't prevail against us. Issue after issue the protestant church has caved in on subjects, abortion, homosexuality, birth control and others. We are the only ones who haven't caved on any. We held fast to tradition as the bible states. Scipture ALONG with tradition is how you find truth. NOT Sola Scriptura.
Knowing Him along with scripture - traditions are of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
To the OP, this is why we have tradition. Look at the tradition of the subject from the beginning. Before there was a bible. The bible says to hold on to sacred tradition. This is what the catholic church teaches. We don't believe in sola scriptura for exactly this reason. Some things can't be decided on scipture alone. For 2000 years, we have held fast to tradition. We have the protection of god when Jesus said the gates of hell won't prevail against us. Issue after issue the protestant church has caved in on subjects, abortion, homosexuality, birth control and others. We are the only ones who haven't caved on any. We held fast to tradition as the bible states. Scipture ALONG with tradition is how you find truth. NOT Sola Scriptura.
I believe the OP was talking about the Holy Spirit.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,773 times
Then WHY did Jesus say to hold fast to sacred tradition.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I believe the OP was talking about the Holy Spirit.
I know. He's wanting to know why to people with the Same holy spirit get different answers. The answer is because he is not using all that is available. Meaning he's not using sacred tradition with scripture and the holy spirit.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM

58 posts, read 199,463 times
If little children can understand it then why cannot any adult? If you think too many Christians disagree then take a look at two unbelievers in disagreement over something. I just heard a whining, irritating sound on my radio---it was the emergency broadcasting system telling me that this was just a test and that if it were a real emergency we would be told where to go. This life we are living is just a test but our emergency is here now, being as we could die at any moment and then what? Where are we going? That is the question we all have to think about and, of course we all have doubt; you wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubt but Christ's crucification for many Christians washed away that doubt and so death has no hold on you; you no longer fear it but welcome it. That isn't to say you no longer wish to live, the Lord promised us 120 years and, personally, I'm taking him up on that deal; it's just to say that you have accepted his promise and have turned away from darkness and towards the light and maybe you can even point others in that direction also. It's not any easier in the light; maybe even harder in many ways but you can see where you're going and when you can see where you're going you know where you're going to end up.

Keith G

Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Elaborate - let's see if we can agree.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
As I have read through post after post that have people claiming as a defense to their belief that they asked the Holy Spirit to guide them as they read the word, or they will say that the Holy Spirit did guide them as they read it...I have to wonder...if the Holy Spirit does guide us while reading the Bible, why is it so many come up with different interpretations?

As much as I can say the Holy Spirit guided me as I studied about baptism, and came to the conclusion it is necessary to salvation, another will say the same exact thing, only their conclusion is that it is not necessary. So what gives?
Not everyone who possesses the Holy Spirit actually listens to the Holy Spirit.
Ask any educator—even the best classroom teacher has his share of wayward students who seem to resist learning, no matter what the teacher does. So, one reason different people have different interpretations of the Bible is simply that some do not listen to the Teacher. Other reasons

1. Unbelief.

2. Lack of training.
3. Poor hermeneutics.
4. Ignorance of the whole Word of God.
5. Selfishness and pride.
6. Failure to mature.
7. Undue emphasis on tradition.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Agreed.......as is reveled from God... but Mark 7:1-23 talks about breaking tradition of men which we still have. Traditions are OK as long as they aren't elevated to "MUST" (unless reveled from God) in order to be saved.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Elaborate - let's see if we can agree.
Scripture and Tradition

Now don't dismiss it because it is a catholic sight. I just explains WHY we believe what we believe. I'm not trying to convert you, well not actively, I'm just trying to get you to understand WHY we believe what we do. I can't explain as well, so i posted the site. Please read with and open heart and mind.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Agreed.......as is reveled from God... but Mark 7:1-23 talks about breaking tradition of men which we still have. Traditions are OK as long as they aren't elevated to "MUST" (unless reveled from God) in order to be saved.
Its not in order to be saved, its in order to know the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity