U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is Baptism Required for Salvation?
Yes 14 37.84%
No 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:13 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,756,958 times

Advertisements

Baptism shows obedience

OBEDIENCE will lead you to God. Disobedience will lead you to hell.

If they were in bed dying....how can they 'repent'?
There's no time to repent...
What God does or judges them will be His judgement

The point is that FIRST STEP is acknowledging God.
If you dont Repent then you're living disobediently.

From what the SCRIPTURES says....it says that you do.
To say otherwise is being 'hopeful'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I have a question for all of you who think baptism is absolutely 100% required, in order to be saved. Many thousands of people have gotten saved on their deathbed, and many more will follow likewise. IE: they say a prayer of repentance, confess with their mouth the Lord Jesus, etc. But inasmuch as they were in their last few minutes of life, there was no time for baptism. In fact, they are were too weak to even sit up, or get out of bed, and all too often have numerous tubes, wires, and other life-support stuff hooked up to them. It's simply not practical for them to "hop off the bed", and get baptized. They are often literally within minutes of death.
They die without baptism. So.....are ya'll saying they're lost?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,552,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Where in the bible does it say that?

Let's see what Jesus has to say about entering the Kingdom of God

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

What you're writing is NOT in the bible.

Hmmm. I thought "born of water" meant the water in the womb. Nearly everyone has heard the term "her water just broke"...

So, what does "born of water" mean? Comments, anyone?

Bud

Old 01-26-2009, 07:15 PM

20,048 posts, read 21,026,858 times
Quote:
Where in the bible does it say that?

Let's see what Jesus has to say about entering the Kingdom of God

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

What you're writing is NOT in the bible.
Wow talk about taking things out of context! Hebrews 9:12 "Once for all time He took blood into that most holy place, but not the blood of goats and calves. He took His own blood, and with it He secured our salvation forever". (which also proves once saved always saved, and I know you don't believe that either). Hebrews 9:22 says there cannot be forgiveness without the shedding of blood.
By Jesus blood ALONE, we are freed from the sting of death, we are forgiven, we are free from the power of sin, by His blood ALONE.
I do believe baptism is important, but it has NOTHING to do with salvation, it is a picture of salvation. Getting baptized we are saying to the world, I am trusting Jesus as my Savior, I am a new person.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Hmmm. I thought "born of water" meant the water in the womb. Nearly everyone has heard the term "her water just broke"...

So, what does "born of water" mean? Comments, anyone?

Bud
I believe it refers to the cleansing action of the Holy Spirit. Being spiritually reborn.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:18 PM

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Funny how two different translations can mean two different things

I'm not sure what version you're using but you can see the clear distinction between the two about 'once saved always saved'
If you look at it the way you are then it clearly means that Jesus died on the cross, and EVERYONE is saved regardless if they want to accept it or not.

Clearly 'US' defines who Paul is speaking about.

Let me ask you a question

Does obedience have anything to do with salvation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Wow talk about taking things out of context! Hebrews 9:12 "Once for all time He took blood into that most holy place, but not the blood of goats and calves. He took His own blood, and with it He secured our salvation forever". (which also proves once saved always saved, and I know you don't believe that either). Hebrews 9:22 says there cannot be forgiveness without the shedding of blood.
By Jesus blood ALONE, we are freed from the sting of death, we are forgiven, we are free from the power of sin, by His blood ALONE.
I do believe baptism is important, but it has NOTHING to do with salvation, it is a picture of salvation. Getting baptized we are saying to the world, I am trusting Jesus as my Savior, I am a new person.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Funny how two different translations can mean two different things

I'm not sure what version you're using but you can see the clear distinction between the two about 'once saved always saved'
If you look at it the way you are then it clearly means that Jesus died on the cross, and EVERYONE is saved regardless if they want to accept it or not.

Clearly 'US' defines who Paul is speaking about.

Let me ask you a question

Does obedience have anything to do with salvation?
No but salvation has everything to do with obedience.

And I do not believe everyone will be saved regardless if they accept it or not. And I think your version also proves once saved always saved.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM

BTW please make sure to read the whole context of Hebrews 9 which the last verse CLEARLY disagree with once saved always saved

28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

those that are in sin do not 'look for Him' neither do those that reject Him

Baptism is a form of obedience to God not to men

If salvation has EVERYTHING to do with OBEDIENCE then NOT getting Baptized would be DISOBEDIENCE

Old 01-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
BTW please make sure to read the whole context of Hebrews 9 which the last verse CLEARLY disagree with once saved always saved

28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

those that are in sin do not 'look for Him' neither do those that reject Him

Baptism is a form of obedience to God not to men

If salvation has EVERYTHING to do with OBEDIENCE then NOT getting Baptized would be DISOBEDIENCE
I never said we shouldn't be baptized, I have always said we should because Jesus commanded it. Yes it is a form of obedience to God, but it is NOT a requirement for salvation.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 PM

If it wasn't then Obedience has nothing to do with salvation.

BTW if you say salvation has everything to do with obedience then you cannot believe in once saved always saved.

What are the requirement for salvation?
Is it repentance? If so, then what if we dont have time to repent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I never said we shouldn't be baptized, I have always said we should because Jesus commanded it. Yes it is a form of obedience to God, but it is NOT a requirement for salvation.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
If it wasn't then Obedience has nothing to do with salvation.

BTW if you say salvation has everything to do with obedience then you cannot believe in once saved always saved.

What are the requirement for salvation?
Is it repentance? If so, then what if we dont have time to repent?
Ok, once again, we get baptized out of obedience to God, Jesus commanded it, it shows the world we are different, and for that reason only, the only requirement for salvation is to ask Jesus into your heart and forgiven you of your sins. And I do believe in once saved always saved, doesn't mean people won't sometimes stray away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity