U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,899,228 times

Advertisements

This is a very strong allegation to make against someone. So...what Scriptures are there to show us how to identify someone that is under the impression they are led by the Holy Spirit yet cause others to assume they are being led by Satan?

I have the assurance of my salvation from the Lord...and also the assurance that He will protect my mind and soul. I am not starting this thread to cause division; I'd just like to have honest conversation. If I've already upset anyone just by starting this thread, I am very sorry. I do have the best of intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM

3,086 posts, read 5,656,668 times
Just some points.. the Holy Spirit's leading will agree with the Word, and will ring true with other Christians.

An evil spirit will not.. it may almost agree, and yet be subtly different. It appeals to the flesh, and denies the way of the cross. It mimics the spirit of God, yet something just doesn't add up.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Then would someone have to deny Christ died on the cross for us?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,701,469 times
Stirringwaters, your heart can be in the right place but your theology can be so off the wall because you believe the spirit to be leading but you are on a wrong path of preaching false doctrine. example, there are loving priest out there who are gay and tell people, you can be gay and go to heaven. Olsteen, who seems to be a decent, humble man yet does not preach the correct gospel; no repentance and faith, sin nothing. How is he equipping his sheep? even though God saves despite of them it is still a "doctrine of hell" that type of preaching leads people to hell because they never understand the gospel rightly. It's when we get away from God's word and go by our own feelings. Basically we are saying, we know better than God.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,249,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Just some points.. the Holy Spirit's leading will agree with the Word, and will ring true with other Christians.

An evil spirit will not.. it may almost agree, and yet be subtly different. It appeals to the flesh, and denies the way of the cross. It mimics the spirit of God, yet something just doesn't add up.
Amen!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Then would someone have to deny Christ died on the cross for us?
Not necessarily. I'm not sure how to put into words what I mean.. but, for example, the verse where it talks about "crucifying the flesh with its affections and lusts": Satan can never come up with anything that will do this. It will always appeal to a certain part of our flesh, whether it be pride, self-will, unconcern about sin, whatever.

God's way will always glorify Him, and say "less of me".

Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 AM

"Doctrine of hell" from the Garden of Eden......"Did God really say?" pretty much sums it up imo

Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Not necessarily. I'm not sure how to put into words what I mean.. but, for example, the verse where it talks about "crucifying the flesh with its affections and lusts": Satan can never come up with anything that will do this. It will always appeal to a certain part of our flesh, whether it be pride, self-will, unconcern about sin, whatever.

God's way will always glorify Him, and say "less of me".
I agree.

Now...how about when someone is so full of pride they can't see when someone else is being led by the Spirit? So they assume they aren't being led in Spirit?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I agree.

Now...how about when someone is so full of pride they can't see when someone else is being led by the Spirit? So they assume they aren't being led in Spirit?
The Spirit must coincide with His word, if it doesn't then sorry it is not from God.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I agree.

What people assume really doesn't make any difference. Hopefully they will repent of their pride. All we need to worry about is that we are walking the way of humility, following the Spirit. Altho we do have a certain responsibility towards fellow Christians, yet there is only so much we can do if they reject our concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity