U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM

1,534 posts, read 937,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
God (a consuming fire) will be all in all. I do believe in punishment for reconciliatory purposes, but I agree with Birdy 56:

Again I ain't gettin what you're sayin. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 03:18 PM

1,686 posts, read 1,763,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Again I ain't gettin what you're sayin. Sorry.

God as the Father of all fathers punishes with an objective in view: change and transformation!

"The redemption is not only for mankind: it is for the universe, for the material earth, everything that sin and the devil have touched and marred has been completely redeemed by Jesus Christ. There is a day coming when the redemption will actually be manifested, when there shall be a new heaven and a new earth with a new humanity upon it." Oswald Chambers

Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 937,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post

God as the Father of all fathers punishes with an objective in view: change and transformation!

"The redemption is not only for mankind: it is for the universe, for the material earth, everything that sin and the devil have touched and marred has been completely redeemed by Jesus Christ. There is a day coming when the redemption will actually be manifested, when there shall be a new heaven and a new earth with a new humanity upon it." Oswald Chambers
quote:God as the Father of all fathers punishes with an objective in view: change and transformation!

A. Agreed. I guess I just don't see what God as a "comsuming fire" has to do with eternal punishment. Boy I must really be DUH!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:09 PM

6,950 posts, read 7,362,222 times
Quote:
quote:God as the Father of all fathers punishes with an objective in view: change and transformation!

A. Agreed. I guess I just don't see what God as a "comsuming fire" has to do with eternal punishment. Boy I must really be DUH!
No, all of us are DUH...

Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,257,902 times
A person has to SEARCH for the truth...SEEK and you will find. If you just sit around and read your English translated King James version of the bible,you will never get the truth. If you want to know the truth,search for it...don`t be afraid! Do exhaustive word searches and pray that God open your eyes to his truth. Don`t be afraid to read and investigate other point of views to get at the truth. That`s the problem I see. People are just comfortable believing whatever is fed to them and they don`t want to get off their duffs and search for the truth. They think it`s blasphemy if it goes against what their church teaches. `My people perish for lack of knowledge`. Who committed the most horrific crime ever? Could it be the world that crucified Christ,the Lord,the Savior of the world? Do you think the Father answered Christ`s prayer? Father forgive them,they know NOT what they do. Yet we are ready to throw people into eternal damnation forever..for what they did for a limited time while on this earth..think about that...a 14 yr old can spend an eternity in hellfire for only a few short years of being alive on earth? Why do we hold God to lesser standards than we do man? This is God`s creation and he is responsible for it. He created man,good,evil,satan,angels,and everything else. He has a plan for his creation. When you come to the understanding that he is a God of the ages,like the bible says, you will understand that he is working out his plan through the ages. When you come to understand the difference between the physical and spiritual,you will gain a whole new perspective on God and his creation.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM

1,686 posts, read 1,763,904 times
Quote:

If our heavenly Father indeed punishes with change and transformation as the outcome (and He does), it cannot go on and on and on: it must reach consummation.

There is exactly one passage of Scripture that speaks of "everlasting punishment" and that is St. Matthew 25:46. As mentioned earlier, the entire passage is in reference to servants of the master, virgins, and two clean animals sheep and goats.

The qualifications for being a sheep and a goat according to Jesus Christ are clearly enunciated. Can you tell us what they are?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,816,006 times
Quote:
If our heavenly Father indeed punishes with change and transformation as the outcome (and He does), it cannot go on and on and on: it must reach consummation.

There is exactly one passage of Scripture that speaks of "everlasting punishment" and that is St. Matthew 25:46. As mentioned earlier, the entire passage is in reference to servants of the master, virgins, and two clean animals sheep and goats.

The qualifications for being a sheep and a goat according to Jesus Christ are clearly enunciated. Can you tell us what they are?
Then wouldn't our reward as well?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 PM

23,191 posts, read 11,405,957 times
Quote:
God does not punish. Any negative consequences of a failed life are just that . . . consequences of failure . . . like everything else in life from the day we are born. God LOVES and wants us to spiritually mature properly . . . that's it. The length of time any consequences last is unknown.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:10 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,639,439 times
Quote:

Matthew 25 is an extension of the questions asked in Matthew 24:3. The virgins, servants, and animals are not literal. It's referring to people in general. Christians are the wise virgins, the good and faithful servant, and the sheep.

Edited to add...then again, I could be misunderstanding what you're saying.

I'm not sure where I stand on punishment being eternal, so I'm enjoying this thread, but I'm surprised no one has said anything about this comment yet. If someone has, and I missed it, my apologies.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 165,736 times
Yes ,people READ YOUR BIBLE AND WAKE UP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity