Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

Why or Why not? List scriptures to prove your beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Yes. And no. I want to know what you believe first.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Yes....The punishment of the wicked in Hell is as never-ending as the bliss of the righteous in Heaven. Jesus Himself indicates that the punishment in Hell is just as everlasting as eternal life in Heaven

(Matthew 25:46) 46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

(Psalm 76:10) "10 Surely your wrath against men brings you praise, and the survivors of your wrath are restrained."

(Matthew 25:41) 41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

(Matthew 3:12) 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

(Daniel 12:2) 2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

(Mark 9:44–49) 45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and thrown into hell

(Luke 16:23–24) 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

(2 Thessalonians 1:9) 9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power

(Revelation 14:10) 10 he, too, will drink of the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.

(Revelation 20:10) 10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-27-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
No I do not because it is a doctrine of man. It started with
augstine and Thomas Aqinus and then Dante's Inferno.

If you type in the word 'wicked' in an online Bible you will see what the Word tells us about the wicked.

The first Scripture I would use would be John 3: 16.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not *PERISH

*perish #622 means to fully destroy.

Psa. 37: 20 says the wicked will consume away.
Psa. 24:20 says their 'candle' shall be put out.
Prov. 13:24 says their 'lamp' shall be put out.

Also you need to understand the meaninf of for ever and ever.

There is much more but that's all I have time for at the moment.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
1 Peter 3:20 reads.............."when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by water." E-I-G-H-T!! Saved.

2 Peter 3:9 reads...............The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness: but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Soooo.......how many are the any? Unfortunately, but a few. He said so in Matthew 7: 13-14, it reads: (13). Enter ye in at the straight gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereafter. (14). Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Concerning eternal life in heaven: "and few there be that find it." If (and this if, is only for the skeptics, mind you) there's to be eternal life, then there's eternal punishment. Jesus said so before I did, I just believe it.

Two roads.............one leads to ..............life eternal. The other................ to eternal punishment.

Whether you believe it or not, it has no bearings on it being so. It is, what it is! Choose carefully. Choose wisely.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
1 Peter 3:20 reads.............."when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was preparing, wherein few, that is eight souls were saved by water." E-I-G-H-T!! Saved.

2 Peter 3:9 reads...............The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness: but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Soooo.......how many are the any? Unfortunately, but a few. He said so in Matthew 7: 13-14, it reads: (13). Enter ye in at the straight gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereafter. (14). Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Concerning eternal life in heaven: "and few there be that find it." If (and this if, is only for the skeptics, mind you) there's to be eternal life, then there's eternal punishment. Jesus said so before I did, I just believe it.

Two roads.............one leads to ..............life eternal. The other................ to eternal punishment.

Whether you believe it or not, it has no bearings on it being so. It is, what it is! Choose carefully. Choose wisely.
Actually Matthew 7:13 isn't saying they go to 'eternal punishment'. It says they go to "destruction" which is #684 and means to perish i.e fully destroy, cease to exsist.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Disproving hell to most Christians removes the main cornerstone/tenant of their faith - ironic huh?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
eternal punishment = separation
eternal life = restored relationship

The whole Bible supports this... and tells us how. James 1:22

Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Disproving hell to most Christians removes the main cornerstone/tenant of their faith - ironic huh?
It's rather sad to me that we think we need to SCARE people into the kingdom, and that HELL is the cornerstone of faith?? I have actually had someone tell me that if there is no eternal punishment there is nothing to cause people to believe. That IS even more sad. It's no wonder unbelievers think we're a bunch of hipocrites, holier than thou people, with a screw loose.

The doctrine (man made I might add) does more damage to the gospel of Christ than any other man made doctrine. It's no wonder the unbeliever says, (because they're told they're going suffer punishment for EVER) "In that case I don't want your God." What a terrible disservice we do to God by making HIm out to be some kind of a monster that told His own people not to sacrifice their child in the fire!! God told them that was an abomination and yet Christians INSIST God is going to do the very think He says is profaning His Name!!

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not PERISH, but have ever lasting life.

NOTE: it doesn't say the unbeliever will have 'eternal punishment' it says they will perish.

I have a whole study on eternal punishment, but this is enough for now...

Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
It's rather sad to me that we think we need to SCARE people into the kingdom, and that HELL is the cornerstone of faith?? I have actually had someone tell me that if there is no eternal punishment there is nothing to cause people to believe. That IS even more sad. It's no wonder unbelievers think we're a bunch of hipocrites, holier than thou people, with a screw loose.

The doctrine (man made I might add) does more damage to the gospel of Christ than any other man made doctrine. It's no wonder the unbeliever says, (because they're told they're going suffer punishment for EVER) "In that case I don't want your God." What a terrible disservice we do to God by making HIm out to be some kind of a monster that told His own people not to sacrifice their child in the fire!! God told them that was an abomination and yet Christians INSIST God is going to do the very think He says is profaning His Name!!

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not PERISH, but have ever lasting life.

NOTE: it doesn't say the unbeliever will have 'eternal punishment' it says they will perish.

I have a whole study on eternal punishment, but this is enough for now...
Wow! I like to look at it as hell is such a bad place in which we ALL deserve because we broke God's laws (Ten commandments) created to show us as wretches and deserving of such a place because God MUST punish sin yet Jesus stepped in and paid our fine- He loves us that He took the punishment from God that was meant for us. God poured His wrath on Him.
We always preach don't come to Jesus because of your fear of hell, that is wrong instead come to Him because of what He went through for you on the cross to delivery you from such a horrible place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity