U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:50 PM

302 posts, read 466,864 times

Advertisements

To define a word we use this formula:
(word X = word or phrase Y)

We express this by using the verb IS, for example:
Black IS a color
(X = Y)

HOW TO DEFINE THE WORD SIN

The apostle John used the formula (X = Y) to give us an explicit definition of the word SIN (Greek hamartia) when he wrote 1 John 3:4:

"SIN IS THE TRANSGRESSION OF THE LAW."
(X = Y)

A GOOD ANALOGY

If I wanted to define the word "crime" I would say:

CRIME IS THE BREAKING OF THE LAW.
(X = Y)

Here "CRIME" is the generic term which includes all specific types of civil law-breaking such as fraud, blackmail and so forth.

In the same way when John said: "SIN is the transgression of the law", he meant that SIN is the generic term which covers all specific transgressions of God's Ten Commandment law, such as stealing, murder or sabbath breaking.

And yet most teachers refuse John's simple definition and say that sin cannot be defined that easily. As proof they offer a verse like:

"WHATSOEVER IS NOT OF FAITH IS SIN" Rom 14:23

However, when we apply the formula (X = Y), we know immediately that instead of defining sin, this verse is defining the phrase "whatsoever is not of faith".

Since we already know that "sin is the transgression of the law" we know that Paul was saying:

"WHATSOEVER IS NOT OF FAITH IS
SIN." (Transgression of the law)

When we look at that phrase in its context it is clear that Paul was not trying to define sin. Instead, he was saying that a person is guilty of sin (transgression of the law) if he eats food which he believes God has forbidden him to eat. Here is the complete verse:

Romans 14:23 "And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

The person who deliberately eats food he believes God has commanded him not to eat has committed sin by breaking the first commandment: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". If a person willfully does something that he believes to be forbidden by the word of God, then he has in effect made himself a "god" by refusing to accept the rule of the Creator.

ANOTHER MISUSED VERSE

Now let's look at another verse that is wrongly used as a definition for sin:

"TO HIM THAT KNOWETH TO DO GOOD, AND DOETH IT NOT, TO HIM IT IS SIN". James 4:17

When we apply the (X = Y) formula to that verse we quickly see that James (like Paul) is not defining sin, rather he too is saying that a person is guilty of sin (transgression of the law) if he KNOWS to do good and refuses to do it. For example if a Christian knows he should keep the sabbath holy and does not do it, he is COMMITTING sin. Conversely, the Christian who does not yet know to keep the sabbath is not held to be guilty of COMMITTING sin - for in order to commit sin one must deliberately break a known law of God. If you take a moment to look up the word "commit" you will find it means: to perpetrate. If a person unwittingly breaks God's law he is not actually committing sin. It is a sin of ignorance and covered by the blood of Christ.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?

We must understand John's definition of sin ("Sin is the transgression of the law) in order to comprehend the true meaning of three other verses found in the same passage which describe those who "commit" sin.

1 John 3:6 "WHOSOEVER ABIDETH IN HIM SINNETH NOT"

1 John 3:8 "HE THAT COMMITTETH SIN IS OF THE DEVIL"

1 John 3:9 "WHOSOEVER IS BORN OF GOD DOTH NOT COMMIT SIN"

If we do not correctly define "COMMIT SIN" as the deliberate breaking of the Ten Commandments, we will not be able to know who is born of God and who is of the Devil.

Donna Kupp

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 224,983 times
Lets keep it simple anything that goes against God's Word.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,382,819 times
Those verses certainly clearly define sin.

This gives a bit more hope>>>
Christianity 101 - The Sin Nature

I know I need that at this time.

Someone remarked the other day that it seemed like we had entered the End Times.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:59 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,233,863 times
...Donna......it just opens the Word of God right up!!...don't it!!!.....Thank you so much!...Love.

....what a blessing!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,376,335 times
Post The Purpose of the Law

Transgressions is a Law

Greek Word: παράβασις
Transliteration: parabasispar-ab'-as
Vine's Words: Break, Breaker, Breaking, Brake, Transgress, Transgression
Transgression (1) Parabasis is the act of excessive and enormous Transgression of a stated law or a given commandment.(2) This word means primarily “a going a side,” then,” an overstepping.” is used metaphorically to denote “transgression” (always of a breach of law): (2a) of Adam, Romans 5: 14; (2b) of Eve, 1 Tim. 2: 14; (2c) negatively, where there is no law, since “transgression” implies the violation of law, none having been enacted between Adam’s “transgression” and those under the Law, Romans 4: 15; (2d) of “transgression” of the Law, Gal. 3: 19, where the statement “it was added because of transgression” is best understood according to Romans 4: 15; 5: 13 and 5: 20; the Law does not make men sinners, but makes “transgression”; hence sin becomes” exceeding sinful,” Romans 7: 7, 13. Conscience thus had a standard external to itself; by the Law men are taught their inability to yield complete obedience to God, Christ.” that thereby they may become convinced of there need for savior; (3) in Romans 2: 23, breaking the Law)”; Heb. 2: 2; 9:15.

Ezra 7:26 And whosoever will not do the law of thy God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed speedily upon him, whether it be unto death, or to banishment, or to confiscation of goods, or to imprisonment.

Ezra 7:12-14 Artaxerxes, king of kings, unto Ezra the priest, a scribe of the law of the God of heaven, perfect peace, and at such a time.
I make a decree, that all they of the people of Israel, and of his priests and Levites, in my realm, which are minded of their own freewill to go up to Jerusalem, go with thee.
Forasmuch as thou art sent of the king, and of his seven counsellors, to enquire concerning Judah and Jerusalem, according to the law of thy God which is in thine hand;

Galatians 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Galatians 4: 8Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.
9But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.
Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all.
Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first.
And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.
Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? For me bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me.
Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
They zealously affect you, but not well; yea, they would exclude you, that ye might affect them.
But it is good to be zealously affected always in a good thing, and not only when I am present with you.
My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,
I desire to be present with you now, and to change my voice; for I stand in doubt of you.

Galatians 4:2 1Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
For this Agar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

First John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
www.TheWordIsOne.com

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 01-28-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM

342 posts, read 458,745 times
What about Sins of OMISSION????.......for those who "think" they keep God's Law perfectly..........Examine yourselves and "you will see" that you need the Blood of Jesus Christ and that you "STILL" need the Saviour.....Keep it simple Repent of Sin......Accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour trust in HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS for salvation......Not in your abilility to keep the Law because it must be kept perfectly & only Jesus did that......DO NOT THINK this gives you liscence to SIN God is patient but HE IS NO FOOL......Legalist's LOOP-HOLES such as "unintentional mistakes" or sins of ignorance are also sins.......Sin is not only the breaking of the Commmandments but also sins of omission. Jesus went beyond the 10 commandments explaining that we must love our neighbor and do good to those who malign you and forgive those who persecute you............For those who "think" they satisfy ALL God's requirements re-examine your life......Are you doing what Christ said????......The Jews in Jesus time thought they kept the Law, and that they were not sinners.....CHRIST showed them otherwise they lacked mercy, love and forgiveness. They were spiritually prideful......Praise be to God who sent his Son for the forgiveness of humble repentant sinners......

Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 AM

5,408 posts, read 4,658,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
What about Sins of OMISSION????.......for those who "think" they keep God's Law perfectly..........Examine yourselves and "you will see" that you need the Blood of Jesus Christ and that you "STILL" need the Saviour.....Keep it simple Repent of Sin......Accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour trust in HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS for salvation......Not in your abilility to keep the Law because it must be kept perfectly & only Jesus did that......DO NOT THINK this gives you liscence to SIN God is patient but HE IS NO FOOL......Legalist's LOOP-HOLES such as "unintentional mistakes" or sins of ignorance are also sins.......Sin is not only the breaking of the Commmandments but also sins of omission. Jesus went beyond the 10 commandments explaining that we must love our neighbor and do good to those who malign you and forgive those who persecute you............For those who "think" they satisfy ALL God's requirements re-examine your life......Are you doing what Christ said????......The Jews in Jesus time thought they kept the Law, and that they were not sinners.....CHRIST showed them otherwise they lacked mercy, love and forgiveness. They were spiritually prideful......Praise be to God who sent his Son for the forgiveness of humble repentant sinners......
Vessif - what omissions are your speaking of? Are you willfully omitting?

(James 4:17) "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

If we know to do good, we had better do it. If it's unclear what should be done in a certain situation, then it isn't willful. Some people claim we are to walk up to every stranger and share the gospel; that is not what we are to do. God will lead us to people who are prepared to receive the message through His Holy Spirit. A person has to be ready to receive like the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:26-40).

Also, make sure you give your tithes and offerings to a real Jesus ministry(s) where the hungry are feed and clothed, they go into prisons and take the gospel to the world; it's the same as you going if you cannot go yourself.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times
lawyers worry about how to define sin and crime.
christians learn how to avoid them.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM

342 posts, read 458,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Vessif - what omissions are your speaking of? Are you willfully omitting?

(James 4:17) "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

If we know to do good, we had better do it. If it's unclear what should be done in a certain situation, then it isn't willful. Some people claim we are to walk up to every stranger and share the gospel; that is not what we are to do. God will lead us to people who are prepared to receive the message through His Holy Spirit. A person has to be ready to receive like the Ethiopian eunuch (Acts 8:26-40).

Also, make sure you give your tithes and offerings to a real Jesus ministry(s) where the hungry are feed and clothed, they go into prisons and take the gospel to the world; it's the same as you going if you cannot go yourself.
All I am trying to say is that sin is not only what you do but also what you fail to do......also.......We should not judge others and excuse our own short-commings by catagorizing our own sins as "unintentional mistakes"..... only God knows wether or not a sin was intentional or not.....He knows ALL things.....We cannot fool the Lord.....and only God will decide wether or not that sin will be forgiven

Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 AM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
If an unbeliever locked his body and mind up for years (doing nothing wrong) would you say that he is without sin?

The act of sinning is simply the manifestation of the nature within a person. We can walk a fine line of abstaining, yet be as carnal as ever. If we sin, we know that there are still remnants of the old man in us. Die to the flesh, and be renewed with His nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity