U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,611,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
If you love Me keep My commandments, If you love Me keep My commandments, If you love Me keep My commandments..........Have we forgotten this simple statement? LOVE and COMMANDMENTS, LOVE and COMMANDMENTS. Heres another one, Go and sin no more, Go and sin no more, Go and sin no more.....over and over again. Love the Lord your God with all your heart soul and mind and then Love your neighbor as yourself...We get these two backwards and that is our flaw. Our neightbor is nothing in comparison to the Lord and we cannot love our neighbor properly without first loving the Lord. If we try we will be blinded by our fleshly desires. Jesus said if you do not hate your father, mother, brother, sister and love Me then you are not fit for the kingdom of God. This does not mean to literally hate your relatives, it means you must love the Lord more and first. This is not legalistic this is fact.
We read everything in the wrong "spirit". If we love Him, we'll keep his commandments. "Be ye perfect".

Do we not see that what He's desiring is for us to be the temple of His life? Certainly, we'll say, that we must be pure in order for Him to reside in us - but what makes us pure but His life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,498,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
We read everything in the wrong "spirit". If we love Him, we'll keep his commandments. "Be ye perfect".

Do we not see that what He's desiring is for us to be the temple of His life? Certainly, we'll say, that we must be pure in order for Him to reside in us - but what makes us pure but His life?
It's like the Apostle Paul said, 8 But sin, taking opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind; for apart from the Law sin is dead. 9 I was once alive apart from the Law; but when the commandment came, sin became alive and I died;

Old 01-30-2009, 01:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,922,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

Exactly, this is what is meant by the fruit of the Spirit. But if we are caught up in a particular sin like fornication and are trying to justify that sin then we are showing more love for the flesh than for God and therefore are showing God hatred in our disobedience.

The one major sin that I am currently fighting is over eating. I am currently almost 300lbs and am not a happy camper.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,868,446 times
Quote:
Exactly, this is what is meant by the fruit of the Spirit. But if we are caught up in a particular sin like fornication and are trying to justify that sin then we are showing more love for the flesh than for God and therefore are showing God hatred in our disobedience.

The one major sin that I am currently fighting is over eating. I am currently almost 300lbs and am not a happy camper.
You love the Lord, Robin. You aren't happy with your over eating. You are fighting it in your soul. You love the Lord, Robin. And I'll keep saying it. I'll be praying for you...we're all fighting something. Lot's of love sent your way.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:44 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,611,161 times
Quote:
I'll not justify one strike against the law, I'm pointing out that the doctor won't want to treat the symptom (sinning against the law), but rather the disease: the carnal nature.

(Had to answer the phone)

The key to the Christian life is taking up our cross and dying to the flesh; His life which replaces ours does not - cannot - sin.

Last edited by little elmer; 01-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: will someone else say "parts, can I help you?" !!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
You love the Lord, Robin. You aren't happy with your over eating. You are fighting it in your soul. You love the Lord, Robin. And I'll keep saying it. I'll be praying for you...we're all fighting something. Lot's of love sent your way.
Thank you, I know I love the Lord and I know He is motivating me to stop eating so much. I thank you again for all the love.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,389,998 times
Quote:

I had at one time put on a lot of weight myself,,pushing 225 at that point, from a lifetime of around 165-170.

I made a decision to lose the weight, and relied on God to help me through it. I fasted through 2 of the 3 meals per day, and the dinner at around 4ish was not enough to fill me, but to just get some nutrients in my system, as i had to work during this time. The other 2 meals were supplimented with fruit juices and lots of coffee with milk and sugar. Believe it or not, I had lost ALL of the weight in a matter of weeks.

The coffee was good to keep my metabolism high, and burning off the unwanted fat.

But to each his own. Unless the decision is made, along with God's support, it will never happen. I never put the weight back on, and can enjoy life with the same vigor I had in my 20's and early 30's.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I had at one time put on a lot of weight myself,,pushing 225 at that point, from a lifetime of around 165-170.

I made a decision to lose the weight, and relied on God to help me through it. I fasted through 2 of the 3 meals per day, and the dinner at around 4ish was not enough to fill me, but to just get some nutrients in my system, as i had to work during this time. The other 2 meals were supplimented with fruit juices and lots of coffee with milk and sugar. Believe it or not, I had lost ALL of the weight in a matter of weeks.

The coffee was good to keep my metabolism high, and burning off the unwanted fat.

But to each his own. Unless the decision is made, along with God's support, it will never happen. I never put the weight back on, and can enjoy life with the same vigor I had in my 20's and early 30's.
I know how to loose the weight, but thanks for the advice, I just need to get off my lazy butt. I was a garbage man up until 2 years ago and got plenty of exercise, but have been working in an office for the past 2 years with minimum exercise. My wife is planning on buying me an exercise bike next week for me to use while watching TV. So the whole thing in a nut shell is to get off my lazy butt and of course knock out the junk food.

I didnt mean to hijack the thread, I just wanted to share that we all have sin we must deal with and over eating is one of my major ones currently.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:27 PM

Getting back on topic, my example of over eating expresses our need for the laws. Now we know they do not save us but they can make our lives better. Imagine if everyone lived by Gods laws, we would pretty much live in a paradise. But because many believe they can sin all they want without repricussions, sin wins too often and the world is worse for it.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:50 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,389,998 times
Quote:
Getting back on topic, my example of over eating expresses our need for the laws. Now we know they do not save us but they can make our lives better. Imagine if everyone lived by Gods laws, we would pretty much live in a paradise. But because many believe they can sin all they want without repricussions, sin wins too often and the world is worse for it.
While I agree that the world would be better off if there was no sin, this is not Eden. It a fallen world, and we are called to overcome it, and be reconciled back to that from which we came, namely God.

The Law might do good for those who need it, but nothing in the 10 commands apply to my situation. Do I sin, yes. But my sins are nothing like your sins.

The carnal man is at odds with God, and His Ways. This means that I AM at odds with God. How do I know this? Because I am still alive, in the flesh. Married to a woman for 20 years, with 4 beautiful children. This alone makes me at odds with God. How can I say this? Because my interests are torn between the carnal and the Spiritual. I am carnal in the fact that I may not always be the best dad, nor the best husband. But having God in my life makes me a better one.

At times I wish that I could be totally in the Spirit. Who knows, maybe at times I am. We are designed to be a father, or a mother, or a child, or a person that makes mistakes. After all, we are human. But being human, does not make us purely animals neither. We have souls, and I know for a fact, my soul gains much needed nurishment from God and His Word. Maybe this is our growth for the Spirit.

So while the Law sets up for us our morals, and our subsequent falls, we should always remember that our Love for one another is what binds us, and I suppose our carnal families are our starting point. The same could be said of our Spiritual family. Since we are One Body, and this is headed by Jesus Christ, then our growth into maturity is dependant upon God, our Father.

But since the Law is our schoolmaster, we should also expect that at some point in time, we will graduate from this carnality and the Law that restricts it. Some were able to do this while yet alive in the flesh, transformed from the mortal, into the immortal spiritual being. Jesus is and will always be our example. As He should be, since He is our Teacher. Could we ever live up to what He accomplished while in the flesh? Probably not, as you can agree that the bar was set pretty high, but we do have a advocate to the Father, and a Sacrifice for sins committed.

God knows the hearts of His Followers, and by knowing them, He will also judge them. How will this be done? According to His Law. This is the only Just thing He can do, and we are warned that it will be done. I have no earthly idea what happens upon a judgment that has gone bad, but I know my heart never wants to find out either. I would not wish that for anyone, no matter how evil they were. Punishment of some sort, yes, if that is His will.

We ALL are fallen Children of the Most High God. We are just as much a part of Him, as anyone who has ever lived. Sometimes, we just do not realize it. The lessons we learn from this experience we call life will determine exactly what will happen in the ressurection. Some welcomed in with open arms, and others not welcomed.

I toally respect the Law. It is made for the Lawless. We would not know what is righteous, being carnally minded, without it. And since Jesus is our righteousness, and we are to abide in Him, do we need the Law to tell us how unrighteous we actually were? Or do we fall, and get right back up. Some quicker than others perhaps, but Jesus will go to the ends of the earth to find that lost sheep.

I don't know,,,just some thoughts as I typed FWIW..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity