U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
 
Location: On a road heaven bound !
10,290 posts, read 8,038,325 times
Reputation: 17783

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"

I have heard many people in here saying, the law is not needed or the law is legalistic, that is wrong and it really saddens me. The Law is not a set of rules to get to heaven, THAT WOULD BE EASY! The Law was put here to show us why we don't deserve to go to heaven; helps us comprehend the righteousness and holiness of God; magnitude of God's love. The Law is a constant reminder that we ALL are sinners in need of a savior. How is that bad? without the Law there is no such thing as sin, if no sin then what is the reason to go through Jesus-without the Law you have an incomplete gospel- without Law then the message of the cross is foolishness to the unregenerate
(1 Corinthians 1:18) For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

The law is meant for the unregenerate, to bring them to the foot of the cross. It is not enough to just say, "Jesus loves you" The cross makes no sense without the Law. They go hand in hand. It's quite beautiful actually.

Amen!

Blessing to you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
 
3,259 posts, read 5,095,370 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"

I have heard many people in here saying, the law is not needed or the law is legalistic, that is wrong and it really saddens me. The Law is not a set of rules to get to heaven, THAT WOULD BE EASY! The Law was put here to show us why we don't deserve to go to heaven; helps us comprehend the righteousness and holiness of God; magnitude of God's love. The Law is a constant reminder that we ALL are sinners in need of a savior. How is that bad? without the Law there is no such thing as sin, if no sin then what is the reason to go through Jesus-without the Law you have an incomplete gospel- without Law then the message of the cross is foolishness to the unregenerate
(1 Corinthians 1:18) For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

The law is meant for the unregenerate, to bring them to the foot of the cross. It is not enough to just say, "Jesus loves you" The cross makes no sense without the Law. They go hand in hand. It's quite beautiful actually.
Yes it is. The law is our tutor to help remind us how lowly we are as sinners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,450,442 times
Reputation: 934
A thread that we all can agree on? WOW!! Is this what it feels like to be of "one accord"? I'm loving it!! Blessings to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Yes it is. The law is our tutor to help remind us how lowly we are as sinners.

I rather see the law as a gift,
that shows how much we're loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 08:15 PM
 
3,259 posts, read 5,095,370 times
Reputation: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I rather see the law as a gift,
that shows how much we're loved.
Interesting response but I was under the impression that God's Grace is the gift, and the law is given to us to remind us how we must be obedient to God, even though it's HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP ALL COMMANDMENTS OF THE LAW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 09:07 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Reputation: 29917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
A thread that we all can agree on? WOW!! Is this what it feels like to be of "one accord"? I'm loving it!! Blessings to you all!
Yes I agree, a lot of good things in this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,892 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Reputation: 5303
The law becomes death when it is not seen as fulfilled by our savior. When it is the prescription for anything that does not lead us to the cross or finds it fulfillment in the cross, then the law is death.

The law is perfect, it is holy, it is wonderful. It is also our condemnation and our separation from God.

Hallelujah, there was one found worthy to set us free from the law of sin and death! He is the focus, He alone who kept the law, did not fail it once yet took the punishment of all who have broken the law.

Thank you Jesus!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2009, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Interesting response but I was under the impression that God's Grace is the gift, and the law is given to us to remind us how we must be obedient to God, even though it's HUMANLY IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP ALL COMMANDMENTS OF THE LAW.
No doubt, the Grace of our Lord is a gift that I'm unworthy of,
and the law makes it all the more amazing to this sinner.

As much as my soul yearns for the Love that needs no law,
my flesh is weak.

And this flesh is grateful for the signposts that help me from straying too far off course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,858 posts, read 43,559,234 times
Reputation: 58603
Romans 2:1-29
I agree with Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Romans 2:1-29
I agree with Paul.

and... Romans 3:31
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top