Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

"You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"

I have heard many people in here saying, the law is not needed or the law is legalistic, that is wrong and it really saddens me. The Law is not a set of rules to get to heaven, THAT WOULD BE EASY! The Law was put here to show us why we don't deserve to go to heaven; helps us comprehend the righteousness and holiness of God; magnitude of God's love. The Law is a constant reminder that we ALL are sinners in need of a savior. How is that bad? without the Law there is no such thing as sin, if no sin then what is the reason to go through Jesus-without the Law you have an incomplete gospel- without Law then the message of the cross is foolishness to the unregenerate
(1 Corinthians 1:18) For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

The law is meant for the unregenerate, to bring them to the foot of the cross. It is not enough to just say, "Jesus loves you" The cross makes no sense without the Law. They go hand in hand. It's quite beautiful actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Can't rep Fundy, as the world would surely end.

The law is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. We will abide by the law as a fruit of His life in us, but the law shouldn't be our focus - He should be.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,752,532 times
Red face The purpose of Laws

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater"

I have heard many people in here saying, the law is not needed or the law is legalistic, that is wrong and it really saddens me. The Law is not a set of rules to get to heaven, THAT WOULD BE EASY! The Law was put here to show us why we don't deserve to go to heaven; helps us comprehend the righteousness and holiness of God; magnitude of God's love. The Law is a constant reminder that we ALL are sinners in need of a savior. How is that bad? without the Law there is no such thing as sin, if no sin then what is the reason to go through Jesus-without the Law you have an incomplete gospel- without Law then the message of the cross is foolishness to the unregenerate
(1 Corinthians 1:18) For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

The law is meant for the unregenerate, to bring them to the foot of the cross. It is not enough to just say, "Jesus loves you" The cross makes no sense without the Law. They go hand in hand. It's quite beautiful actually.
When Adam fell, God created a law already knowing that man will fall in sin, as humanity grew he would no man would ask many questions, so he gave us his law the Bible a reflection of humanities wrong.

.................................................. ...............................The Purpose of the Law............................................... ..........................................
Galatians 3:19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23But before faith came; we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
When Adam fell, God created a law already knowing that man will fall in sin, as humanity grew he would no man would ask many questions, so he gave us his law the Bible a reflection of humanities wrong.

.................................................. ...............................The Purpose of the Law............................................... ..........................................
Galatians 3:19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23But before faith came; we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
...EXCELLANT JOB TWIO!!!!!...you bless my heart!..I'm so proud of you!...Love!!!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Can't rep Fundy, as the world would surely end.

The law is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. We will abide by the law as a fruit of His life in us, but the law shouldn't be our focus - He should be.
I totally agree!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
There you have it. Christ came not to abolish the law, but to fulfill it (in us).

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
If you love Me keep My commandments, If you love Me keep My commandments, If you love Me keep My commandments..........Have we forgotten this simple statement? LOVE and COMMANDMENTS, LOVE and COMMANDMENTS. Heres another one, Go and sin no more, Go and sin no more, Go and sin no more.....over and over again. Love the Lord your God with all your heart soul and mind and then Love your neighbor as yourself...We get these two backwards and that is our flaw. Our neightbor is nothing in comparison to the Lord and we cannot love our neighbor properly without first loving the Lord. If we try we will be blinded by our fleshly desires. Jesus said if you do not hate your father, mother, brother, sister and love Me then you are not fit for the kingdom of God. This does not mean to literally hate your relatives, it means you must love the Lord more and first. This is not legalistic this is fact.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Jesus did not come to this earth for the purpose of acting as an opponent of the law. His goal was not to prevent its fulfillment. Rather, he revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition. He fulfilled the law’s prophetic utterances regarding Himself
Christ fulfilled the demands of the Mosaic law which called for perfect obedience, or else imposed a “curse” but because Jesus came the law was fulfilled, and it is not a binding legal institution today.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-30-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Romans 7 ... tough read for new believers but makes for a great Bible study.

Should we go through Romans 7? might be good for us to come to a greater understanding (and for those viewing) with the beauty of the law.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
The Law is not the problem Man is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity