U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
 
3,419 posts, read 2,188,613 times
Reputation: 1314

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Unfortunately, as I learned from an hour long conversation/lecture with the drummer (probably not current drummer) from Jars of Clay, the Christian music industry is not immune to corruption and greed. Here was a band that was many times platinum and thanks to the greed of their Christian record label, they could hardly even pay their morgages.
Just to make a point, people need to keep in mind that almost all "Christian" record labels are owned by the big secular labels, the BMIs, Sonys, Time-Warners, etc... These label are "Christian" only in the demographic sense. They cater to a specific target audience. There may be sincere believers involved in them, but they are a business being run to make money off of a specific demographic. In that sense there is no difference Death Row Record (Gangsta rap-centric), Metal Blade (heavy metal-centric), or Word records ( Christian focused subsidiary of Warner music and Curb records).

That being said, if believers do not want believing musicians to be a part of the current music industry, they need to provide an alternate business model. It is a bit unfair to expect one particular class of professionals to provide their services free of charge, while simultaneously devoting themselves to their craft. No one expects the builder that attends a particular church to build everyone's house at cost, or the tax professional to volunteer their services for the congregation for free. Being a musician, composer, songwriter or recording engineer are all professions worthy of respect, and should be compensated for their craft.

Some of this comes from when I was a believer. As I am a musician, and have worked in the audio industry, I ended up being on all the P&W teams, managing the sound system, troubleshooting stuff, doing repairs on my own dime and eventually it just burnt me out. For some reason that specific set of skills is in heavy demand, but no one is willing to hire someone to do it. Some poor guy ends up taking it on as an act of service, and it just piles up on their shoulders with no end in sight. It isn't a sustainable approach, and ends up burning out a lot of people. It only gets worse as you increase the scale ( large churches, touring acts, etc)


-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
 
5,514 posts, read 4,480,473 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I'm a songwriter and a Christian. Your idea of free music is great in theory, but how would it work?

If music is all free, there will be very, very little of it.

Cut off the revenue stream as you suggest, and here's what won't get paid-

The label. No more promotion and distribution.
The producer. Who will produce the tracks?
The studio. We all better have great garage set-ups!
The artist. Only independently wealthy artists from now on.
The writer. I'd have to get another job to support my music hobby.
The publisher, the A&R guys, agent, managers, art dept.s, etc. No more touring, either.

You see the problem? It's bad enough I have thieves online stealing my music
Nah! The way it is suppossed to work is that the body, through tithing, supports the gifts, that God supposedly gives you and you share that gift with the congregation as does every other person and his gifts - if you want to make tracks then the local body can make them and distribute them to the local congregations. It is only when you want to use the body as a market to expand your reach and your wealth that your points become meaningful - but then you are really not doing Christianity anymore are you - you're just playing secular games. Welcome to reality. Glad to have you back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,965 posts, read 5,639,680 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Unfortunately, as I learned from an hour long conversation/lecture with the drummer (probably not current drummer) from Jars of Clay, the Christian music industry is not immune to corruption and greed. Here was a band that was many times platinum and thanks to the greed of their Christian record label, they could hardly even pay their morgages.

That is a shame. But greed is no surprise - it is part of the world system and how it operates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 PM
 
4,494 posts, read 4,035,858 times
Reputation: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I can see your point, and to a certain extent, I think it has some validity. But, musicians do have to make a living. So...what to do?
Well....as for me, I seldom listen to very much music. But, when I do, I "tune in" to one of the many free radio stations on the internet, and just dial in to a Christian station, and listen. No, you can't download any of the music, but you can listen to it 24/7. Just do a Google search for "free internet radio stations". Most of them are real, actual, radio stations that have a live feed onto the internet. There are a lot of them. It works for me...

Bud
I remember struggling to pay the rent, going to the record stores, looking at albums and not being able to buy them. To an extent I can sympathize with the 'free' thing. I would also like free healthcare and a free house. The only Christian artists I pay for is Mercy Me. I go to Amazon to buy their dvds. I would never download their music for free because I want to support them. When I didn't have any money, the library was the source of most of my entertainment, books, cds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 02:07 PM
 
1 posts, read 290 times
Reputation: 10
hi carlos,
i have a live experience with regards to this subject. i am a worship leader in my local fellowship,i have always believed that gospel music should not be commercialized just as prayers and preaching or evangelizing should be free especially since we are ministering first to God and then the body of christ. i have had my songs in the closet for years now because of this belief and finally i am ready to let them out because if i cant get it across to people out there the message is lost so i started making inquiries about getting these songs produced and you wont believe how shocked i am to learn how much it cost to produce just one song! and to worsen it i have no money-i dont wish to be known or to become famous i just want to get the songs out there to lift up the spirit of christians through true worship but no deal because i have no money.so what do i do? if i go and take a loan to produce these songs how do i pay it back? i would rather give out these songs for free but you and i know that the output and finished work willl be horrible and most likely wont get the attention i neeed it to get because songs that are smooothly finished will naturaly appeal more to the listener-however,if you are able to point me to a studio that can produce my songs for free, then i will send them out for free because i am truly not intrested in making any gains from these songs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM
 
1 posts, read 25 times
Reputation: 11
I disagree with this. I myself have spent hours and hours on writing, performing, etc. I play every Sunday and Practice once a week for free. I struggle like the rest of them with my job alone, trying to keep up with the economy. Christian artists don't make a whole lot, if any, to begin with. By buying their music, you're not just handing the artist cash. Your paying for outside help, studio recordings, and if anything the artist should have something for his/her time. It's hard work-the whole process of making music. It's also very time-consuming. To complain about paying for Christian music is simply ignorant, accusing them of not being Christ-centered. That's just absurd! Of course they have Christ in their hearts which is why they write about Him in the first place. Christian musicians and their families need to eat just like anyone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 PM
 
4,415 posts, read 1,821,240 times
Reputation: 13909
It's best if you read this in a Texas accent:






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:37 AM
 
835 posts, read 314,687 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
I have something on my heart that I would like to express so I thought I would express it in a second thread here .

I am tired of getting cut down and beaten up by unbelievers and God haters so for a while...I might hang out here. Among you...my fellow believers. Maybe not. We'll see.

It may not last long because I don't want to hide out here indefinitely when there is so much work to be done out in the world (in our case in other forums and elsewhere on the Internet)...where the unbelievers are. But for now...I am tired and need a break from the relentless put downs elsewhere.

So here are my thoughts for tonight for what they are worth. If anyone would like to comment I'd be appreciative of your input.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying to listen to some great worship music tonight over the Internet but...much of it is unavailable without buying it. Why? Because someone, either the artist or label company wants to make money from it.

Normally there is nothing wrong with an artist making money from his work but we, as Christians are called to nothing less than the standard set by the death of Christ and what He did for us.

Here is an analogy that will hopefully highlight what I want to say.

I (not the real me but a make believe me for the purposes of this analogy) am a top surgeon. The best. I can do things that are nearly miraculous to save people's lives under my skilled surgeon's hands.

I teach you to be a great surgeon. For free. I take time and effort with you. I pay for your education. I give you money to live on while you go to medical school. I am there for your graduation. I am there when you need advice on how to be a better surgeon. And I am there when you are wrongly sued for malpractice. I charge you nothing. I love you and want to help you and make myself available to you. Charging you nothing. I inspire you.

If it wasn't for me...you would have never been able to become a surgeon.

Someone comes to you and says they need to learn how to operate on their wife who is dying in a third world country.

You say you will help them but that you will charge them $16 to do it. They say they have no money. You say no dice. You will not help them unless they pay you.

Their wife dies. And you don't care.

How heartless you say?

What do Christian musicians and labels do?

Jesus Christ shed His precious blood to die for their sins. He inspires them. His Spirit moves them to produce wonderful Christian worship songs. He is there for them when they are down and when they need encouragement to write their next song. He lifts them up and gives them grace to do what they do. They would not be able to write one song or do one thing to be a great singer without Him.

Someone comes along who is so poor that they cannot afford a musicians songs. Hearing their songs might help save their faith. They might desperately need to receive God's grace through the songs that God inspires in the musicians but they can't pay the $16 dollars it costs to get the CD.

They might live in a third world country. But they can't download or hear the song over the Internet because it's copyrighted and illegal to post it and download it.

But they are a part of His Church!

The main surgeon is Jesus. The musicians are the trained surgeon. And the person needing what the trained surgeon can give are the people of God - many of whom can't afford to pay.

And what do musicians and labels do?

They charge $16 per CD to make their music available or else no dice.

Jesus Christ shed His blood and inspires them. Freely He gave and what do the musicians and labels do? They give away nothing unless they are paid their $16 per CD.

Something doesn't seem right about that.

When contrasted with the free gift of eternal life...the FREE gift of eternal life, which is worth more than all the music put out by all music labels anywhere...to charge ANYTHING to a fellow Christian for something that the Lord gifts or inspires in us freely...is nothing less than a disgrace and miserly.

Thoughts?

Carlos

PS. Not all Christian musicians and labels are as bad as any other but when contrasted with Christ's command to freely give as we have been freely given to...they are all not doing what Christ did and would have us do. Give and give and give to love our brethren and win the world to Christ. Without expecting anything in return.

PSS. The same principal can be applied to Christian Counseling or anything else that Christians charge for but which Christ has given them abundantly of...for free. I don't know how many times I have been told that so and so, who really needs help, can't get it because they can't afford Christian counseling. I heard that last night from someone.
A word of caution on the subject.

Much of what is considered to be contemporary Christian music is being diluted by humanism and corrupted by the occult. Much of it is NOT Biblical.

Christian music at its core is buzz words and slogans with a melody. It may or may not be significant and most of the time isn't accurate or true to the Word of God. It sounds good, but just because its loud and has a beat doesn't mean it has spiritual worth. It sells, though. I admit that much to be true.

Christian music is being heavily influenced by the occult. That's right, you read it here. Christians, who would rather be tickled by commercialized sound, reject the idea that their music may actually be satanically inspired. I know of a particular group, but am not allowed to give their name out because moderators want to protect them. Go figure.

Consider Leonard Cohen's popular song Hallelujah. A lot of folk like it because of the title and repetitious use of the word Hallelujah. It's a nice melody, but have you read the lyrics? Nothing could be further from musical worship or spiritual consideration of the majesty of God.

There is something worse than making a living from performance of Christian music. That worst case scenario is heretical teaching and demonic influence upon its gullible audience (of which there are very many).

Christian musicians, the decent ones anyway, deserve to be able to make a living from their art.

Christian musicians who lead fools into false teaching and doctrines of demons do not deserve the honor of taking a stage. Neither do they deserve the money they get for their lies.

Judge them. Judge whether they deserve your attention and your money. For if you do not judge them, their words will judge you!!!


that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top