U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM

3,237 posts, read 2,035,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Unfortunately, as I learned from an hour long conversation/lecture with the drummer (probably not current drummer) from Jars of Clay, the Christian music industry is not immune to corruption and greed. Here was a band that was many times platinum and thanks to the greed of their Christian record label, they could hardly even pay their morgages.
Just to make a point, people need to keep in mind that almost all "Christian" record labels are owned by the big secular labels, the BMIs, Sonys, Time-Warners, etc... These label are "Christian" only in the demographic sense. They cater to a specific target audience. There may be sincere believers involved in them, but they are a business being run to make money off of a specific demographic. In that sense there is no difference Death Row Record (Gangsta rap-centric), Metal Blade (heavy metal-centric), or Word records ( Christian focused subsidiary of Warner music and Curb records).

That being said, if believers do not want believing musicians to be a part of the current music industry, they need to provide an alternate business model. It is a bit unfair to expect one particular class of professionals to provide their services free of charge, while simultaneously devoting themselves to their craft. No one expects the builder that attends a particular church to build everyone's house at cost, or the tax professional to volunteer their services for the congregation for free. Being a musician, composer, songwriter or recording engineer are all professions worthy of respect, and should be compensated for their craft.

Some of this comes from when I was a believer. As I am a musician, and have worked in the audio industry, I ended up being on all the P&W teams, managing the sound system, troubleshooting stuff, doing repairs on my own dime and eventually it just burnt me out. For some reason that specific set of skills is in heavy demand, but no one is willing to hire someone to do it. Some poor guy ends up taking it on as an act of service, and it just piles up on their shoulders with no end in sight. It isn't a sustainable approach, and ends up burning out a lot of people. It only gets worse as you increase the scale ( large churches, touring acts, etc)

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM

4,737 posts, read 4,120,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I'm a songwriter and a Christian. Your idea of free music is great in theory, but how would it work?

If music is all free, there will be very, very little of it.

Cut off the revenue stream as you suggest, and here's what won't get paid-

The label. No more promotion and distribution.
The producer. Who will produce the tracks?
The studio. We all better have great garage set-ups!
The artist. Only independently wealthy artists from now on.
The writer. I'd have to get another job to support my music hobby.
The publisher, the A&R guys, agent, managers, art dept.s, etc. No more touring, either.

You see the problem? It's bad enough I have thieves online stealing my music
Nah! The way it is suppossed to work is that the body, through tithing, supports the gifts, that God supposedly gives you and you share that gift with the congregation as does every other person and his gifts - if you want to make tracks then the local body can make them and distribute them to the local congregations. It is only when you want to use the body as a market to expand your reach and your wealth that your points become meaningful - but then you are really not doing Christianity anymore are you - you're just playing secular games. Welcome to reality. Glad to have you back!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,399,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Unfortunately, as I learned from an hour long conversation/lecture with the drummer (probably not current drummer) from Jars of Clay, the Christian music industry is not immune to corruption and greed. Here was a band that was many times platinum and thanks to the greed of their Christian record label, they could hardly even pay their morgages.

That is a shame. But greed is no surprise - it is part of the world system and how it operates.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM

4,464 posts, read 3,845,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I can see your point, and to a certain extent, I think it has some validity. But, musicians do have to make a living. So...what to do?
Well....as for me, I seldom listen to very much music. But, when I do, I "tune in" to one of the many free radio stations on the internet, and just dial in to a Christian station, and listen. No, you can't download any of the music, but you can listen to it 24/7. Just do a Google search for "free internet radio stations". Most of them are real, actual, radio stations that have a live feed onto the internet. There are a lot of them. It works for me...

Bud
I remember struggling to pay the rent, going to the record stores, looking at albums and not being able to buy them. To an extent I can sympathize with the 'free' thing. I would also like free healthcare and a free house. The only Christian artists I pay for is Mercy Me. I go to Amazon to buy their dvds. I would never download their music for free because I want to support them. When I didn't have any money, the library was the source of most of my entertainment, books, cds.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 218 times
hi carlos,
i have a live experience with regards to this subject. i am a worship leader in my local fellowship,i have always believed that gospel music should not be commercialized just as prayers and preaching or evangelizing should be free especially since we are ministering first to God and then the body of christ. i have had my songs in the closet for years now because of this belief and finally i am ready to let them out because if i cant get it across to people out there the message is lost so i started making inquiries about getting these songs produced and you wont believe how shocked i am to learn how much it cost to produce just one song! and to worsen it i have no money-i dont wish to be known or to become famous i just want to get the songs out there to lift up the spirit of christians through true worship but no deal because i have no money.so what do i do? if i go and take a loan to produce these songs how do i pay it back? i would rather give out these songs for free but you and i know that the output and finished work willl be horrible and most likely wont get the attention i neeed it to get because songs that are smooothly finished will naturaly appeal more to the listener-however,if you are able to point me to a studio that can produce my songs for free, then i will send them out for free because i am truly not intrested in making any gains from these songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or