U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-01-2009, 06:17 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,290,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
A good example of willful sin would be Adultery, which is an act of sin
that occurs when a person chooses to set aside God's law and have sexual relations outside of marriage. Please take note that to commit Adultery is an act of sin, but the lust which precedes the decision is NOT AN ACT OF SIN, rather it is the manifestation of the Sin nature.

Jesus said:

"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman TO lust
after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."
Matthew 5:28

Jesus was saying this: "The Pharisees have told you that you are
committing Adultery only if you actually have relations with a woman,
but I say to you that it is the intent of your heart that God judges.
If you look upon a woman lusting to have sex with her, and the only
thing stopping you is the lack of opportunity, then you have already
broken God's law in your heart."

The word TO means: "indicating intention, purpose or end." (Websters)
If a man is looking on a woman with the intention of lusting after her
then he certainly is not trying to avoid lust! He may be sure that his
heart is still set upon evil. He may also be sure that if he would
commit Adultery given the opportunity, he is not truly Born-Again
because John says that "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin."
(1 John 3:9)

Looking upon someone TO lust after them is a sin, but the Devil wants
Christians to think that just looking at the opposite sex and feeling
desire is also an act of sin. That is not true! It is simply the first
stage of temptation. Temptation to commit sin does come through lustful desires, fantasies, etc. but those lusts are not in themselves an act of sin.

If lust (desire) itself is an act of sin then Jesus committed sin because the
Bible says that "every man is TEMPTED when he is drawn away in his own LUST," and that Jesus was TEMPTED like as we are,".

Being tempted is not an act of sin....

HK
I think I see what you're saying, that there is a difference between just looking at someone and actually desiring to have sex with them, and I agree. But to say that desire is the same as lust, and saying that looking at the opposite sex and desiring them, isn't sin, I would say is just plain wrong. If you look upon someone with desire (wanting them) that's lust, is it not? Jesus said to lust after her is sin.

Also, I believe the verse you used about temptation was taken out of context. Satan tried to tempt Jesus, yes, but Jesus was not drawn away of his own lust, so that verse has nothing to do with Jesus. It reads, "but every man is tempted, WHEN he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've written. If so, and you set me straight, I will definitely apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM

988 posts, read 937,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I think I see what you're saying, that there is a difference between just looking at someone and actually desiring to have sex with them, and I agree. But to say that desire is the same as lust, and saying that looking at the opposite sex and desiring them, isn't sin, I would say is just plain wrong. If you look upon someone with desire (wanting them) that's lust, is it not? Jesus said to lust after her is sin.

Also, I believe the verse you used about temptation was taken out of context. Satan tried to tempt Jesus, yes, but Jesus was not drawn away of his own lust, so that verse has nothing to do with Jesus. It reads, "but every man is tempted, WHEN he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've written. If so, and you set me straight, I will definitely apologize.

Hi - please check out the thread - Did Jesus have lusts?

Thanks

HK

Unread 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,290,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Hi - please check out the thread - Did Jesus have lusts?

Thanks

HK
I think there is a difference between someone tempting you, and someone trying to tempt you. Satan tried to tempt Jesus, but did Jesus succumb to that temptation?

You yourself said that lust=a desire. Did Jesus, at any point, desire what Satan was tempting him with?

Unread 02-02-2009, 01:40 PM

1,101 posts, read 697,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post

No, you're notmisunderstanding Harold. He is a sheep in wolves clothing.

To compare the devil TRYING to tempt Jesus' to be the same as a man lusting after a woman is blaspheme of the worst kind!

lust #1937. epithumeo ep-ee-thoo-meh'-o from 1909 and 2372; to set the heart upon, i.e. long for (rightfully or otherwise):--covet, desire, would fain, lust (after),

By his post Harold is saying that our HOLY saviour Jesus lusted.

Unread 02-03-2009, 05:52 AM

381 posts, read 401,260 times
I think I just read that your pretzel logic now has made Jesus christ into a sinner because your wonderful command of greek and such has concluded through the Law of Modus Ponus, that he must be a sinner.

Quote:
If lust is a sin itself then Jesus committed sin
by H Kupp

Every man or woman that reads this quote, tests the spirits. for the words keyed in above by this man defame the only the son of God. to even suggest through logic is tragic .The words of this man named above is antichrist. for everything that exalts itself against the knowledge of God is antichrist. Read Jude. this is apostacy at the highest level.

you have condemned jesus christ with your words. they're right there. i reject you devil in the name of jesus. My Lord did not sin.period.

you're a spot on my love feast. get behind thee.! There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth for you have added to these words. St John had a word for you in Revelation. Woe, be unto you, for grieving the holy spirit.

Unread 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 17,542 times
I believe Jesus was comparing the Old Testament Jewish teachings to the New Testament Christian teachings. I believe He was saying like in the old, a man is not to have sexual relations with a married woman, but now if a man even looks at a married woman who he is not married to, to lust for her has commited adutery in his heart. Jesue used the term aduetery twice here, which generally means sexual relations with a married person who is not married to you.1 Corinthians 7:8-9 says, But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion."Hebrews 13:4 says, "Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge."

"But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell."

We see Jesus made an example to let us know that we need to take extra measures, to not allow ourselves to fall to sin. If we have to avoid an aduterers or some type of sinners house than avoid it so we don't sin.

Last edited by tyrone70s; 03-09-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:02 PM

11,442 posts, read 8,004,129 times
Lust is wonderful and natural. The only thing better is the act which follows lust. That can be very pleasurable. Unless you're an emotional masochist!

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 17,542 times
I believe it is normal for a single man to have physical attractions to a single woman and for a single woman to have physical attractions to a single man. There are some organizations that are so strict, it makes it difficult to even allow the natural occurance for a man and woman to be attracted to oneanother which leads to marriage. I believe things should be done decently and in order and if they abstain from sex before marriage they do a good thing, as this would be obedience to God. Look at my entry above

But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

We see Jesus made an example to let us know that we need to take extra measures, to not allow ourselves to fall to sin. If we have to avoid an aduterers or some type of sinners house than avoid it so we don't sin.

Last edited by tyrone70s; 03-09-2009 at 05:20 PM..

Unread 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,324,721 times
So is it okay for a man or woman to have sexual fantisies about others instead of their spouse? I always thought it was a sin. Please clarify.

Unread 03-09-2009, 11:05 PM

777 posts, read 832,873 times
mental adultery
(Matthew 5:27,28)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity